• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 trailer question

Mike O

When did the M105 trailers change from the old style landing leg with one big wheel to the newer type with two small wheels and built in jack? My trailer has the old style leg with a frame delivery date of 1-65.

91W350

Somebody will probably know, but there are several other variations, two small casters with a sink plate and steel casters with holes drilled in the center of the wheels. The two wheels you speak of are aluminum.

Mike O

Thanks Glen. Looking forward to getting the bows so I can install the cargo cover on this trailer. Spent the last couple days knocking out dents and doing a bit of straightening on the bed. It's looking pretty good now.

Gregor The Horrible

I just bought a 1967 M105A2 trailer that has been modified with a new tongue on it to make it level to tow behind vehicles like my expedition with a 8" lift on the hitch. I bought it and on the way home the trailer would randomly jerk me back and forth while towing it. It would happen more so when we went over larger bumps and when speeding up. Any suggestions on what i can check to solve this problem. I believe it has also been modified to electronic brakes, with the no flat tires dynatrac highway plus 9.00-20. Could it be bearing issues or break issues? I'm new to the surplus military trailers.

Motorcar

I'm not sure on the change date. I have a 1985 Turtle Mountain M105A2 with the single large wheel and a 1987 Pribbs Steel M105A2 equipped with the jack dual wheel landing gear. As for the bumping back and forth over road conditions, both my trailers do that when towed by my pick up truck and not noticed when towed by the M35A2, has more to do with the 2,750 pound empty weight than another issue I believe.

Gregor The Horrible

I did weld a jack onto it that folds back onto the frame, I have not yet loaded it to see if it will pull differently with the added weight. I have pulled trailers before and never had one jerk me like that, felt as if i was towing it with a chain. Could it possibly be a brake issue? I thought that it could have been my transmission but when i unhooked the trailer and stepped on the gas the jerking was gone. ???? just looking for suggestions as what to look into thanks

Mike O

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know the non-jacking large wheel leg was in use that late. Mine is dated Jan 1965 so it's an old one. I couldn't imagine having one of these with no landing leg as they are HEAVY! I unhooked mine the other day and didn't notice that the leg wasn't fully locked down. The second I got it off the pintle it dropped like a rock and nearly took my big toe off. I got lucky and won't do that again! Had to use a cherry picker to get it back up again.

Carl_in_NH

just looking for suggestions as what to look into
You've got a heavy trailer with a high CG, stiff springs, and a short hitch to axle distance. You've also got 8" of rise on your hitch to level the trailer, and are towing it with a soft-sprung passenger vehicle. I would suggest this combination of things is adding up to an uncomfortable ride.

91W350

The original 105 landing gear is heavy. You may be way short on tongue weight. Load something relatively heavy in the nose and see if it helps. I know if I set a chemical tote full of fuel too far back in my 105, it rattles the hitch constantly. Thankfully it stays within a half mile of the trucks we pump fuel off of. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks