• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The ol' 246

area52

Yea forgot to get some of the crane. The mud was like quicksand around there, surprised it hasn't sunk to the frame by now!! :shock:

Any advice on where to start on reviving a dead M246?

I am gonna call the guy and haggle over the price tomorrow and maybe have a new baby!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with trying to crank by hand. Once sure its not locked up, I'd put some marvel in the cyinders and let t soak for a spell. After that maybe hook up some batts and try cranking it by the starter. Don't forget to check your aircleaner and plumbing right to the carb. You find mud dobber and wasps nests everywhere. Make sure you have a functional mechanical oil pressure gauge before you start.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice lookin work rig there! Yeah, I think all vehicles, from ones you bought new, to ones parked 60 years ago, ran the last time it was parked. So the owner is, at least, telling the truth!

RF202

Unless there's a hole in the pan, block, etc., I would just about bet money, that this old girl will probably fire up. I've woke up more than several and it usually don't take much to make them go. I can't remember if anyone pointed this out, but the 2nd stage of the crane is extended manually, unfortunately not with the hydraulics. But, don't let that talk you out of it.

What is that sitting beside it in the pic ? Looks like some sort of civilian 6x6 ? ?

area52

crane

RF202 said:
Unless there's a hole in the pan, block, etc., I would just about bet money, that this old girl will probably fire up. I've woke up more than several and it usually don't take much to make them go. I can't remember if anyone pointed this out, but the 2nd stage of the crane is extended manually, unfortunately not with the hydraulics. But, don't let that talk you out of it.

What is that sitting beside it in the pic ? Looks like some sort of civilian 6x6 ? ?
I read the manual on the truck, can't recall off of the top of my head, but it didn't look too bad on extending the 2nd stage.

The other truck beside it is an old International dump I think, I didn't pay that much attention to it cause its in bad shape. The old guy is a pack rat and has ALOT of vehicle stuff around there, but this is the only military vehicle that I have seen so far.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RF202 said:
I can't remember if anyone pointed this out, but the 2nd stage of the crane is extended manually, unfortunately not with the hydraulics. But, don't let that talk you out of it.
If I recall, the third stage is only partly a manual operation. I believe there are either specific struts or you use the rear support legs and attach them to points from the 3rd stage to the outer boom after you extend the second stage. Unlock the 3rd stage and then retract the second stage hydraulically, lock the extension and extend the second stage again.

RF202

You are correct, sir, it is only partly a manual operation, in the sense of removing the pin in the boom and installing, as best as I remember, a length of square tubing (which comes in two pieces) is assembled and actually lays in a short piece of angle which is welded just underneath and behind the sheave head. Upon extending the second stage back out, one puts the pin back in, which of course, prevents the extra stage from traveling back in.

My apologies for leading one to believe that it was/is a manual operation in the strictest of terms. A little extra effort required, but extremely nice feature to have, when needed.

Thanks,
John

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why not? if you have room to keep it Maybe the owner will let you try to start it before buying it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks