• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M7 Generator trailer. My first piece of WWII Green Iron

Truckoholic

So, I've got a friend who has a scrap metal business, and he goes all around the county hauling scrap metal off of peoples land. Once in a while he comes upon military stuff. Since he knows I am into military stuff, he sent me an email asking me if I wanted this M7 Generator trailer when he hauled it of of some guys farm where it was half buried from being there for so many years.

As you can see in the last picture, we found some California DMV registration receipts dated August 31st 1960 and they say "Nevada County Civil Defense" out of Grass Valley on them. And they say "Exempt Vehicle No Fees" I thought that was pretty awesome that those papers were still in the registration holder pipe welded inside the neck of the trailer, and still legible after all these years!

This trailer needs a lot of work. Lots of panels needed straightened out, and of course the tires are completely shot. I figured it would be a fun one to restore. But at the same time, as I was hauling it off, I was thinking "I am already so busy with all kinds of other stuff, what the heck am I doing bringing another piece of junk home??!?!?!" The axle, wheels and tires in the bed, he just threw in in case I needed them at some point. They were off of an old military truck he scrapped. Don't know what year or model.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.JPG

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those also hauled huge spot lights. Might have gone in pairs, light and genset. I'd grab it if you can. I missed out one one just up in Washington Courthouse not too long ago. I didn't realize what it was at the time.

Truckoholic

Oh yeah, I did buy this trailer from him for $200. Anybody know of a decent source for some GOOD 7.50x20 ND tires? There is very very little clearance behind the tires for tires any wider than that.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice find. I have been looking for one of those forever. The ND tires are 250 ea, ouch. Used ones are not to be had. Find some street tread 8.25-20's for the time being.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen period photos of those trailers with road tires on them. The road tires are $250-300 in price, NDT tires are around $360 ea. It's expensive, but a restoration for show would require them eventually.

Nice trailer! They are getting harder to find in nice shape, I've seen some crusty ones in junkyards get restored, so yours is not too bad. Make it pretty and trust me, you'll find a good home for it, with a profit!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks