• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for sand/beadblasting media?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had zero luck in my area (22630) finding a source for beadblasting media, or black beauty for sandblasting work. I called all the Yellow Page listed places that do sandblasting, and they only perform the service, they don't sell products. Nor will they say they get theirs. The hardware stores are a no go as well. Is there a mail order place that specializes in selling glass beads or black beauty that I can deal with?

comdiver

Try a contractors or building supply store. I think I even saw it in Home Depo. I think shipping would kill you for less than a truck load. You could try play sand if you can't find anything else.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
How much do you need? Also what grit are you looking for? Shipping will be expensive for this stuff. Grainger is a good source as you can pick-up at the store, but they only do business-to-business sales. They often allow individuals to buy under a company's account if you pay upfront. If so you can probably pick up from them. If they don't have a store in your area then there is one I know of just inside of 495 off of route 5 in northern Va.

davesgmc

there are several hundred pounds of glass beads on GSA auctions in Missouri right now, I'd buy, but currently have about 200 pounds of it in the garage already, will last me quite a long time

comdiver

I just called two builders supply stores. One had a silica sand in 80# bags for$8 a bag. The other one had Black Beauty for $11.70/100# bag. Cash and carry. It would be hard to ship the sand for $10/100, I think. If you have a blast cabnet or a spark plug cleaner mail order might work for you.

SierraHotel

Trust me, Grainger will sell for cash. If they didn’t they would cut out about 65% of the contractors in the DC area that do not have credit good enough to get an account. If all else fails, I’ll go with you and use my account, but pay with cash. I’d do Fastenal, they’re closer. If you need help with them, I think we have an account. If we do not, I’ll get one.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah Grainger will "work with you" on making a business to sell to. I suspect that if you made a business card with crayon and colored paper they would happily take it.

pfarber

Be aware that any grit larger than 80 will need about a 3/16th orifiace and 20+CFM @90psi to cut metal.

Any media at 80 or higher will work through the smaller 1/8th nozzels and work well with less than 15CFM.

I bought $20 of black beauty at 50 grit and it will not go through my nozzle without clogging after 30 seconds or less.

rmgill

I rather like the star blast that I use.

Have you looked at Abrasives or similar categories in the yellow pages? I just tried "Abrasives near Tucker, Ga" and got the place I bought my blasting media from as the first hit.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pfarber, I have found that if you sift the black beauty before you use it, ytou will have MUCH less cloggs. I think its the best available/price wise.

CGarbee

Agri-Supply and Northern Tool also sell blasting media... Agri has it in the maxi bags (2000lb bags...).
Maddawg, since your signature doesn't say exactly where you are, I can't be more precise, but I can tell you that Luck Stone (as well as Vulcan Materials and Martin Marietta) also sell blasting sand although availablity at any given plants varies widely and most likely will be in the larger sizes at VMC and MM (bridge/structural steel blasters) although I know that Luck ships a lot of it around in maxibags and has it in finer sizes... Keep in mind that this would be sand, and not a slag or other "manufactured" media. I don't purchase any blasting media in VA, but I do have a good relationship with the three companies and could enquire about availabitly of materials if you needed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks