• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wonky M101 turn signals...

shankspony

Hello all. I have started work on my M101 and recently addressed the tail lamps. Everything seems to be connected correctly as per this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/31824-civy-truck-mil-trailer-wiring-info.html

(I made a basic lead harness adapter from Mil 12 pin to Civ 4 pin.)

...however, when parking/marker lamps are on and a turn signal is engaged both lamps flash. They don't flash at the same rate though. I would have figured they should flash like civvy tail lights (one solid and the other flashing) but I don't have previous experience with military lighting.

I engage the turn signal, the corresponding signal flashes as expected (one flash per second). The other signal alternates turn and brake lamps (two flashes per second). Is this to be expected? I suspect there's a short somewhere or an incomplete ground. Hopefully someone has run into this before and can bless me with wisdom.

shankspony

Probably a ground problem. Are you using the original MV lights with 12V bulbs or civiy trailer lights?
The original MV lights with 12v bulbs. It looks like the internals have been updated with shock absorbers and IR LEDs. Maybe one light is trying to ground through the other?

KsM715

The MV housings use 2 seperate grounds. One on each mounting bolt. I would remove and check/clean each bolt mounting surface. It sounds like your lights are finding a ground through the other bulbs.

shankspony

The MV housings use 2 seperate grounds. One on each mounting bolt. I would remove and check/clean each bolt mounting surface. It sounds like your lights are finding a ground through the other bulbs.
That must have been it exactly. I removed the right signal... brushed off some rust... reinstalled and they worked as intended.

Thank you! :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks