• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan M416 Build

Xtra Medium

After almost 3 1/2 years of searching, I finally came across an unmolested M416 up here in Alaska. In this condition, these are very hard to come by in this state. Most of them are either chopped up, banged up, or thoroughly rusted. This will make an awesome winter time project for my girlfriend and I. It will be used primarily for camping to tow behind our Jeep. We will hopefully get it stripped down and off to the sandblasters in the next couple weeks. More to come.... :beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

cpf240

That trailer looks great! I would love to find one in my area, but so far I have only found trailers that were either more rust than trailer or were made of gold.

Great find!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool, please post a lot more pics of the restoration when you get there. Those trailers are very useful and getting rarer in good shape (and for decent price) every year.

Xtra Medium

Will do on the restoration pics. They are getting very hard to find it seems. This guy was asking $950 but I only ended up paying $800 which included original military paperwork and canvas. It sounds like a lot, however I was resorting to trailers in Idaho for $1300-1500 in similar condition, not including shipping to Alaska, so I was jumping through my a$$ to make this happen. Finding one without a tailgate modification was the hardest part.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a really nice one. When Uncle Sam was selling those at the DRMO live auctions in the 90's, they always brought 300 and up, and some were really banged up and rusty then.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I paid $200 or so for mine when I bought it from DRMO out of Chambersburg PA in 1998, and it was BAD. Very rusty and 14 layers of paint, one wheel was locked up and wouldn't budge, the brake system was shot, the wires were rotted off and the light housings were cracked. By the time I rebuilt everything I had $600 in it, and a couple hundred hours of labor. But it was worth it, some Jeeper in VA has it now and puts it to good use.

RodUSMC1962

I posted in another thread, I got a free 416 when I bought my last mighty mite,I have $800 in paint, sand blasting,tires, bearings ,canvas,and lites. Seems like nothing is cheap but it turned out looking pretty good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks