• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a M116

jeeperwilly

Hi everyone. I just picked up a M116 "pioneer" that has been de-pioneered. I picked it up with the intentions of building a utility/camp/expedition trailer. However, the more I pull it around it seems just a touch heavy for my TJ. So this leads me to a couple questions:

- If I do keep this thing, how much weight can I shave off if I replace the axle with a 3500lb civilian axle?

- Are there any other ways to shave some weight(other than the fact that the tops already cut off aua)

- If I am going to sell it, what would be a respectable asking price? (see pictures below)

I do have a line on a M416, if possible I think this would be a better match for the jeep. Anyway, here is the beast in all of its glory:

Thanks for any input in advance.

Paul

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reality, your not going to save all that much weight, but you would get the option of compatible wheels and electric brakkes.

M1031CMT

Putting on a civilian axle should have been the first move by the builder. It saves a good amount of weight. Won't be a massive difference, but it will help. Plus you can then match the hubs with the truck so that one tire fits all. I did it to mine. The new axle is half the weight and it is rated at 4000lbs. I could have gone with a 3000lbs one, but the difference in price was only $35.

After that, if you still think it is too heavy then you are probably better off buying a real vehicle and selling the Jeep ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd ditch the M116 and go with a M416. I have the Canadian version of the US M416, which they call a M101 (confusing, huh). Great trailer, and tows great behind my 08 Wrangler and Ram 2500. I put LED tail lights on it, and changed the MIL plug to a 4 pin Civy one.

jeeperwilly

Ok, so say I can actually land the M416, what's a reasonable asking price on the M116? The tub was repainted and bedlined on the interior and the frame and fenders are also bedlined.

After that, if you still think it is too heavy then you are probably better off buying a real vehicle and selling the Jeep ;)
Nah, I prefer vehicles that are more capable and reliable than real vehicles:D

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

harleyhouse

Keep the pioneer, Change the axle to match your jeep bolt pattern
"no need for an extra spare" Shorten the frame to 6' then rebuild the box to suit your needs.

You have a nice trailer. I have a 116A2 that I am rebuilding to haul toys.
chuck kitchen, kayak and bike racks, storage box for extras. It will be ready next month.

I also have a M101A2 that is my camping trailer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks