• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New problem: I need a pig!

mo-mudder

Went to back out of the shop to take the M173 on it's maiden voyage over to the neighbor's house to de-dual the rear axles. Had a tough time backing out of the shop. I saw that both rear driveshafts were turning, but only the left-rear-rear tires were turning. I thought I might have a broken axle, so upon completion of the M173 conversion, I looked further into the problem. Both axleshafts are in one piece, but the pinion on the pig just spins free. Makes no effort at all to engage with the ring gear. Got the pig out of the truck and sitting on the workbench (no easy task in itself). Either I'm gonna have to have this one sent off for a rebuild, or find a donor pig. Anyone got a pig or an axle laying around, jsut taking up space?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, pig, that's a new one on me. We had this discussion about slang terms for differentials a while back. I think 3rd member, chunk, pumpkin, and diff were listed, but not pig. Thanks mo-mudder.

I don't think you will have too hard a time locating a diff or even a complete used rear. Can you tell what broke? Is it the pinion shaft?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have pictures of this? I'm not familiar with two driveshafts setup, nor the pig rear-end

Flatlander

I think the pig reference comes from the shape of a more conventional axle, like a Dana 60. If you look at the centersection from the side, it resembles the head of a pig... :?

davesgmc

i think topo had a whole truck he was/is parting out, might check to see. Shipping might be a bit pricey. I imagine it aint a lite unit.

Mo-mudder I have a parts truck I'm trying to give a way or at least strip it down more before hualing it off. it has a frount rear drive axle in it with a pig . you may find one closer cheaper then shipping this one . if you need other parts you may want to plan a trip and pick up what you need the cab is clean no rust frame is good lots of other parts kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks