• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ft Meade M817 Pickup 17 Aug -- Input?

USMC4302

Hi All,

1st time through the GL drill. EUC came back today after almost exactly one week -- I guess that's fast for a 1st time EUC?

Being new at this, I'm glad to get any advice and words of encouragement

I'm going to try to arrange the pickup for this Friday (17 Aug) and do it myself. I previewed the truck on 31 July and it started and ran just fine -- came up to pressure fast and the dump all worked great (it only has 9K on it for miles). I checked the numbers and the truck came out of a Maryland Guard unit just up the road from me. I have a friend who's in the MD Guard and he's working on contacting the motor pool sgt for that unit to get the history on the truck.

I'm planing on driving my own rig up there (I am a current civil service employee with base access for myself, my helpers and my vehicle) to collect it. My transporter is my own '72 GMC 9500 road tractor with a 30-ton Eager Beaver lowboy. Several chase & support vehicles are with me.

Several specific questions:

1. Will loading the truck backwards present any issues? Due to the wheel base specifics of the 817 (WO/W) and the deck on the trailer, backwards seems to be the only way it will fit without rubbing tires on tires (Front bumper overhang seems like it will touch the gooseneck on the trailer before the rear tires clear the trailer tires)

2. Do you guys normally use 6 or just four chains to tie down?

3. The staff at Ft Meade GL seemed helpful enough before the sale, will they be the same Friday?

4. I'm assuming that because the truck started and ran fine on the 31st, it will do likewise Friday -- is this naive? Just how much will be cannibalized from the truck???

I very much appreciate all comments and advice -- I don't want to screw anything up I don't have to :)

Semper Fi,
John

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

Is that the truck that looked like it jest came out of the paint shop? Dose it have a cargo cover on it ? if it dose you got a fine looking truck , You beat me at GL. ther are some more of them comeing up soon keep a watch on them. than you will know if you paid to much . But it dose not matter you got a real good truck . I would drive that truck home I beleave that got a B4 rateing

bearboley

Backwards won't hurt a thing. Four chains will do fine. If you drive more than a 100 miles from home fill your long book out you don't want a ticket along with a 10 hr break.

USMC4302

Thanks gents, and thanks for the PM, Danl -- That's the truck! The pictures don't even come close to showing the condition of the truck. I think I'll pass on watching for the next batch of 817's -- there's just some things I don't need to know at this point if you know what I mean :whistle:

Bear -- Good point. I live about 50 miles south of Ft Meade and it's mostly 2-lane. Some 4-lane roads, but nothing too terrible. I should be coming south well ahead of the Friday afternoon Washington, DC Crazy Time.

If MD issued a temp/transit tag, this sure would be simpler ...

Thanks,
John

USMC4302

Oooops. In the flurry of activity ... But thanks for asking. The pickup went smooth as silk on a bee's butt. We left the farm about 0630 to get ahead of rushhour traffic, got to Ft Meade about 0900 and to the DRMO lot about 0930 which was a full hour ahead of our appointment. Jason (GL rep) took us in early. The truck fired right up, built air pressure in about 60 seconds and we got it on the trailer in one try (with the rear duals hanging over an inch and a half on both sides. My A Driver did an excellent job of getting me on the trailer.

As it turned out, the bumper went over the goose neck on the drop deck so we were able to load with the truck facing frontways -- just made everything easier. We put five chains to her and off we went.

The trip home in traffic went exceptionally well -- the 6-71 Green Leaker in the puller was happy to have a little weight on it for once. Hauling my '49 around, I get looks, but man -- we got a LOT of lookie loos on the way home and some waves -- it was fun.

And we've already put the truck to work on the farm hauling woodchips and dirt (with the drought-emptied pond, we're doing some excavation)

Semper Fi,
John

Attachments

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

I really wanted that truck. But I'm glad you got it and not some dealer, Sorry I ran the bid up high, but I wanted the truck, I'm also glad that it went to a SS member. Good luck with a fine Truck aua

USMC4302

Danl -- It's all good! You were a worthy opponent and I'm happy to have met you this way -- hopefully someday we can enjoy a beer together! Besides, you really didn't run the bidding up that high -- the truck was well worth what I've paid for it in my mind. Even my wife is pleased.

This evening after I got home from work, I drove it into the woods at the far end of the property and got a young beech tree caught between the bumper that fender. Darned if that axe didn't come in handy! Man, this truck is some SERIOUS stress relief!!

Also, my grandson was on my lap here at the computer as we won an M105A2 trailer for $200 at Ft Meade. You guys have seriously infected us :beer:
Semper Fi,
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks