• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just curious: duals on the front?

mo-mudder

Not for road-use, of course, but can duals be run on the front axle of the m135/211? I suppose it would help in an off-roading situation, and you'd have to use the Budd lugnuts. The the front axle can take another 2 tires on the front? Any pics of a dualled up M series on all three axles?

ida34

There were some posted by the fire truck guys on the forum. They dualed them in the front to float better. They can probably comment on the road performance.

Bidslinger

It does help in a off road situation but you get a lot of mud every where. Not always a bad thing if you like mud.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience with the types of heavy soils we have here in northern Indiana is that duals are a hinderance in deep mud. Once the space between the tires fills up solid with mud, you go nowhere. Like trying to push a lawnroller through the mud. I have seen pictures of dualled fronts for desert trucks, but there the sand will not pack up between the tires. For true mud work, we remove duals from both our trucks and farm tractors. Wide singles are better. I always thought what if one of the outer tires on a dualled front catches on something? Several farmers can tell stories of broken wrists from tractor steering wheels going wild when a tire hooked a stump or rock.
Regards Marti

M1075

I have seen the duals in the front on 5 tons used as fire trucks. This is to overcome front blowouts due to rocks. Same premise as rear, one can go flat and you can keep 'er going. Probably not too good on a 2.5 ton, unless you have some kind of power steering.

Capt.Marion

dualled deuces would wear your arms out pretty quick I'd imagine. I guess its a little easier since the 5-tons have power-steering.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
One of the primary causes of hot rod rice burning cars losing a wheel is that they run the wheels dished out by reversing them. I am not a rocket scientist but the front axle on a duece was designed to run a single wheel and tire and adding the extra wheel and tire would put a much larger load on the bearings and steering geometry I just would not do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks