• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge power ram

tommi3520

Hello guys

As some of u might know I´ve been lookin at the Dodge w200, m880 and more.. Now here on iceland where none of these are around I found one Dodge power ram 1982

It has a 6 cyl engine but the owner says its a 318ci and im pretty sure that it has a np203 edit i mean a np205 and the same automatic transmission, as the w200 series and that. where can i see technical info about this truck? i have tried google but i dont seem to find anything concrete

It has a power steering and the body is in really good shape. He has been driving the truck with no front housing (Dana 60 rear - dana 44 front) And somwhere i thought i read that that could be dangerous. Its a orginal motor and he tells me its in good shape when he runned the truck few days ago he completely ran on all the gas, so the fuel tank was empty when i came by to take a look at it, he added about 4 liters hehe and the truck could not run by it self for longer then maybe one minute, but when he ran the sound was very good, good rythm, he is gonna call when he gets more gas on there and then there are no more excuses :)

It has a 33" tires and u could put 35" with out doing anything
It has not orginal paint and was mainly used on a farm, 5 owners from beginning and moast things are orginal...

Can you tell somthing about the truck some hp and torque curves or somthing else?

Here are 2 pics:

www.go-riding.com/extreme/dodge.jpg
www.go-riding.com/extreme/dodge1.jpg[/b]

Thx
Tomas

p.s. hes gonna call any mintue so dont hesitate to speak up[/i]

Elwenil

Ok, that's a W250, and an early 80's model, so it's not full time 4WD. You can see the lockout hubs on the front. The transfer case is a NP205, which is probably the strongest stock case ever made for a pickup, with the possible exception of the rare International NP202. Anyway, D60 rear, D44 front, probably 3.54 or 4.10 gears, 727 auto, and if it's a 6 cylinder, it's the old slant 6 which is a decent engine, the 318 is a V8 and it's a no brainer to tell the difference.

Beware of the running issue, could be a fuel pump or something much worse. Body looks ok, but check for filler. Also, 33s fit fine, 35s require fender trimming. If you need any info at all, let me know. I am a Parts Advisor at a Dodge dealership and have built many of these 82-93 model trucks.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Hi

thanks for the answer, are you completely sure its a part time? did they change the np205 to a parttime in the 80´s ?

Can you tell me how powerful this engine is? and isint it a 5,2 liter?

thx

tomas

tommi3520

Re: RE: Dodge power ram

crap....I´ve been searching on the internet and this is the only 6 cyl engine that i could find in these trucks:

1981-1988 3.7 L (225 in³) Slant-6 I6 95 hp (71 kW)

Is that the engine that is in the dodge power ram 1982? I dont know if i want this, very little power it seems...

But the owner said it was a 5,2 liter 6 cyl "big block" ??

Waiting to hear from you!

Tomas

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

If it's a 5.2L then it's a 318 LA series V8, if it's an inline 6 cylinder it will be the 3.7L 225 Slant Six. All 318 engines regardless of series are small blocks. Big blocks start with the 350 cubic inch engines in the 1950s and go on up through the 361, 383, 400 B series and then the RB series, 413, 426, and finally the 440. The Slant Six isn't a powerhouse but it is a good reliable engine. You won't be able to tow a lot with it or win any drag races, but it's a good engine. The 318 LA series engine is much better and is the most common engine to find in just about any Dodge truck from 1965 to 1992, when they switched to the Magnum series engines.

The fulltime models were discontinued after the 1980 model year, I believe. A 1982 model will certainly be part time unless someone has changed something. If the transfer case shift has 2H, 4H, N, & 4L marked on it, it is part time. If it has something about Hi Loc and Low Loc, then you are looking at the full time deal, but I seriously doubt anyone would go through that kind of trouble to swap it all. Most 3/4 ton and heavier Dodges used the NP205 transfer case. I have heard of a few 3/4 tons having the aluminum, chain drive NP208 transfer case, but I have never seen one myself. Either way, it should be a part time 4WD truck.

98hd

Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Elwenil said:
If it's a 5.2L then it's a 318 LA series V8, if it's an inline 6 cylinder it will be the 3.7L 225 Slant Six. All 318 engines regardless of series are small blocks. Big blocks start with the 350 cubic inch engines in the 1950s and go on up through the 361, 383, 400 B series and then the RB series, 413, 426, and finally the 440. The Slant Six isn't a powerhouse but it is a good reliable engine. You won't be able to tow a lot with it or win any drag races, but it's a good engine. The 318 LA series engine is much better and is the most common engine to find in just about any Dodge truck from 1965 to 1992, when they switched to the Magnum series engines.

The fulltime models were discontinued after the 1980 model year, I believe. A 1982 model will certainly be part time unless someone has changed something. If the transfer case shift has 2H, 4H, N, & 4L marked on it, it is part time. If it has something about Hi Loc and Low Loc, then you are looking at the full time deal, but I seriously doubt anyone would go through that kind of trouble to swap it all. Most 3/4 ton and heavier Dodges used the NP205 transfer case. I have heard of a few 3/4 tons having the aluminum, chain drive NP208 transfer case, but I have never seen one myself. Either way, it should be a part time 4WD truck.
I've actually found the 208 to be more common, at least in all the ones I've seen. The 208 is a good case though, it's no 205, but you shouldn't have any problems from it.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

If the transfer case shift has 2H, 4H, N, & 4L marked on it, it is part time.

Hi, that stood on the shifter. So it must be a part time, I dont know if this guy is trying to trick me or just does not know what he is talking about, but he says hes had a number of trucks and seems to know a bit of trucks in general.

They do have a power steering right?

But i need to talk to this man and tell him to stop this none sence

I would probably start with this engine, and if i dont like it than maybe swap a 350 chevy because we have really many 350 chevys around in Iceland and many parts, and ive heard really good things, What do u think about that (dont say if i want a chevy motor get a chevy truck) I want this body and everything but the motors such as 318ci v8 that u talk about are rather powerless in my opinion especially when i see the fuel numbers! Wow!!! Ive seen serious numbers and they are drviing on concrete the orginal tirers!! But the good thing about the motor is that he is told to be really dependable but still I dont think its worth it!

Tomas

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

That truck "should" have power steering. They were available without it back then, I believe, but it's very rare to find an 80s model Ram without power steering. As for the GM engine in a Dodge, well, I don't need to say it, because you already know what I'm thinking, lol. Lets just say it will be interesting to swap, but there are adaptor kits out to mate a GM engine to a 727 automatic transmission. They are mainly for drag racing, but it will work. I wouldn't give up on the 318 yet, provided that is the engine in the truck. With a nice cam, a little more compression and a 4 barrel carb, a 318 can produce a pleasing amount of power in a reliable and efficient package. A 360 is much better because of it's longer stroke and therefore more torque.

As far as what's worth what, that's entirely up to you. I have no idea what the average Dodge truck sells for over there, so I can't really say what it would be worth to you in a given configuration. If it were me, I'd like a W250 with a 360 and a NP435 4 speed, but I'd take a 6 cylinder auto in a pinch. They are good trucks that will take a lot of abuse and work hard.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Elwenil said:
That truck "should" have power steering. They were available without it back then, I believe, but it's very rare to find an 80s model Ram without power steering. As for the GM engine in a Dodge, well, I don't need to say it, because you already know what I'm thinking, lol. Lets just say it will be interesting to swap, but there are adaptor kits out to mate a GM engine to a 727 automatic transmission. They are mainly for drag racing, but it will work. I wouldn't give up on the 318 yet, provided that is the engine in the truck. With a nice cam, a little more compression and a 4 barrel carb, a 318 can produce a pleasing amount of power in a reliable and efficient package. A 360 is much better because of it's longer stroke and therefore more torque.

As far as what's worth what, that's entirely up to you. I have no idea what the average Dodge truck sells for over there, so I can't really say what it would be worth to you in a given configuration. If it were me, I'd like a W250 with a 360 and a NP435 4 speed, but I'd take a 6 cylinder auto in a pinch. They are good trucks that will take a lot of abuse and work hard.
We are talking about $1400 tops if everything work as he says, Im ready to spend about $7000 to have the truck i want. When u talk about adaptor kits how much is that gonna cost me ca.?

I would not do the swap by my self and i dont know if i would go that far...But if i did, would you think that the whole thing would cost alot of money? i know u cant really answer this question, but based on the knowledge, what would you think?

Thanks for all your help
Tomas

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Well after looking around on the net, I haven't been able to find anything on a GM V8 to Mopar 727 adaptor. They were used a long time ago for drag racing when the Powerglide was more consistent, but the 727 could be built to take more power. This was before custom heavy duty aftermarket transmission cases were available. It wouldn't be difficult for a good machine shop to make an adaptor, but it would be costly. Probably much more expensive than what it would cost to just import the parts to rebuild a 318 for more power. I'd find out what engine is in the Ram for sure. The 318 is a decent powerplant, and can be modified to fit whatever role you have in mind. The Slant Six can be built for a price and you can get some surprising numbers out of them, but it won't ever be a V8, or have the same power as you can have from a V8 for a comparable amount of money.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

but the 727 could be built to take more power.
Lets say im still going for the 350 chevy
Many small block chevys are sold with the transmission here, Is that somthing to think about? buying the set and letting pros install for me, im little worryd that the position of the transfer case could not be the same so this maybe would be a expensive operation?

I'd find out what engine is in the Ram for sure.
Yeah, will do, but if its a orginal engine and its a 6 cyl (that i know for sure) then it must be the 3,7 liter 94hp engine that i listed above right? + He tells me its all orginal, and the position of the 6 cyl engine (little sideways) match with this engine right?

The 318 is a decent powerplant, and can be modified to fit whatever role you have in mind. The Slant Six can be built for a price and you can get some surprising numbers out of them, but it won't ever be a V8, or have the same power as you can have from a V8 for a comparable amount of money.
Yeah, if this GM engine + trans goes to ****, ill check out the 318

Before i would make up my mind about some heavy plans i would talk to a local shop (take the truck with me) and maybe get a $$$ sample

Im just trying with your help to decide if i want to take the next step or not, because ive for 3 years tried to find somthing to work with, and the design of the m880, w200 power ram is the idel shape for me and as u see im willing to go pretty far to have it all good..!

tomas

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

You could swap a complete GM engine, trans and transfer case into the Dodge with minimal fuss. You just have to get a drivetrain out of a GM truck of the same era that has the driver's side drop on the transfer case so that you can line it up with the yoke on the front axle. That drivetrain is pretty common so it should be cheaper to go that route.

If it has the Slant Six, you will know it immediately by the look of it and if so it will have to be the 225 version. I'd give the six a try for a while though, you may find you like it. It has plenty of torque, but low horsepower. The automatic will make it seem a lot less powerful that it is. Either way it looks like a good truck to buy if the price is right for your budget. The fact that it has the 6 cylinder makes it sort of an oddball truck and that can keep the price reasonable, I'd imagine.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Yes...

Well okay i feel better to know that there could be a chance to swap the whole thing out if i dont like how it is right now.

thx, he´s supposed to call me tomorrow with this rig all filled up with gas, i´ll let u know what comes out of it

Tom

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Just got back from testdriving, motor ran good now and trans shifts good. On the insurance paper its listed to be a 5,2 liter and 233 kW

Its a 1981 model not 1982 as i said before (it was registered here in iceland 1982, the owner told me wrong)

There is no doubt this is a 6 cyl, so can you think of anything that might explain this diffrent numbers..!

Tomas

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power ram

Only thing I can think of is that the VIN number could have been wrong somehow or the engine swapped at some point. It's also possible that since the Slant Six was sort of rare, it is overlooked in the insurance company's files and they simply listed it as a 5.2L since they don't have a listing for the six cylinder. If you can post or PM me the VIN number I can tell you how it lists the drivetrain from the factory.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge power

Today i went with the owner along with the dodge pickup to a local shop that takes a look at cars that are not street legal for now

Thats baiscally what needs to be done:

1. The brake system needs complete restorition
2. I need new rear shocks
3. I need some stuff in the steering gear
4. I need to fine tune engine
5. And some more little work here and there

Where can i buy all the stuff i need online and from guys that ship worldwide (or to iceland)

Please give me as many adresses you can, also you can reccomend parts that i need. Dont have to go in details about the engine, rather talk about shocks or something if this all is a big bite.

Tomas

No.2Diesel

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge po

I suggest purchasing parts from Summit Racing or Jeg's. You can get everything you need in one catalog and both are priced similarly. As far as engine swapping; go to www.advanceadapters.com It sounds like a very fair price if everything works. Say Hi to Olaf Tryggvason and Eiríkr inn rauði for me. I drink an Egils Premium in your honor :beer:

Here is Summits Foreign shipping directions:

Foreign and overseas shipping

Question
What is your policy on international or foreign shipping?

Answer
Foreign customer status is applied to anyone outside the U.S., Canada, or U.S. Territories. Since our toll-free phone number does not apply to foreign countries, you can place your orders online, fax them to us at (330) 630-5333, or call us directly at 330-630-0230. If we have your e-mail address on file, an order confirmation will be sent to you via e-mail after the order is placed. All foreign orders ship from our Ohio location only. Product availability is determined by the inventory in the Ohio location. Foreign, or international, shipments are assessed a $23.95 handling fee per order regardless of size unless the order has a domestic shipping destination; in which case the handling fee will be $10.95. All orders must be pre-paid and actual shipping rates will be charged. Most foreign orders default to Surface Parcel Post if you do not select another method. Depending upon your location and size of the order, different shipping methods are available. Ask your salesperson for available options or fax us a shipping quote request with all your parts and shipping address for an estimate. Foreign customers should also be aware that if several items are ordered and one is on backorder, the whole order will be placed on a "Full Order Hold" until the backordered item arrives. We do this in order to save the customer two separate shipping charges. If you wish to have the available items shipped and are willing to pay the separate charges, simply specify at the time you place your order and we can accommodate your request. Hazardous materials cannot be shipped to foreign customers at this time. All items entering a foreign country are subject to customs inspection and the assessment of duties and taxes in accordance with that country's national laws. Customs duties and taxes are assessed, generally, if the merchandise is dutiable and the value of the item is above the threshold set by the country's laws. These charges are normally due at the time of delivery, they are separate from the actual shipping charges processed by Summit Racing. Invoice must reflect actual product prices for parts shipped.

No.2Diesel

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE:

I wouldn't search any website by vehicle model. First determine what engine and transmission combination your going to run. Choose parts for that engine/tranny. Vehicle model is only important when choosing exhaust headers, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks