• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinellas County, FL Code Enforcement

icetim

Hello All,

So, the county code enforcement officer thinks my bobbed deuce is a commercial vehicle. I know this topic has been discussed numerous times. So, my question is if any other members in Pinellas County have had this issue with CE?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have commercial plates?

icetim

No, it has regular plates. I checked all the ordinances and I don't think it meets any of their requirements for a commercial vehicle. I tried speaking to the inspector, but he didn't agree with me. He said that he "was in the service and knows what a deuce is".

I am willing to go to court over it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the inspector report to the Pinellas Cty board of commissioners? If so just mosey on over to the county seat in Clearwater and start looking at the ordinances.

You are not in an area with an HOA are you? That is a different story altogether.

icetim

No HOA in my neighborhood, fortunately! I am going to try with the inspector one more time. Maybe send him a copy of my registration.

I imagine he does report to the board. That will be my next step if he doesn't budge. Maybe I can ask them why they hate veterans. :)

Goose2448

Is it over 10,000 pounds? I bet it is.

I hate seeing these threads, but then again I love them. I live in Cape Coral, which as of about 10 years ago you couldn't even have a PICK UP TRUCK parked at your house. The laws have loosed a little bit but not much. I got a warning from the code officer for my F550, registered at 19,500 pounds. Now I also got a warning form a trailer(concrete pump) but I knew that was not kosher, even though you can park a freaking boat at your house, you cant park a trailer(he said nothing about the no tags on it, since been taken care of). He stated that because it was tagged over 26K(its not), because it has a tool box on it(Reading Tool Bed), and because it has "exposed tools" its a commercial truck. When I talked with him, I showed him the registration, and pulled the code out. Its under 26K, and the code says it has to have a cargo box, which it does(11'x4'). Yes I have an Air Compressor and Genset mounted to the 3' deck behind the cab, but really? My neighbor has a RV parked in her empty lot(been there since june) AND a utility trailer. He said that he does not like the law and a bunch of them are trying to get the council to change it. He also said that he would leave me alone for now. But that does not mean someone else will not get me. I park my 13K pound truck in my driveway every night. I don't think they can find a tow truck big enough to tow it.

Now here is an option that worked for my uncle. He is building a house in Punta Gorda, has been for 10 years. He built a barn before the house. They told him to tare it down and start over, Cart before the horse here apparently. So he started riding around the neighborhood and calling to report violations armed with his code book(at that time he owned his own construction company). After about 250 calls, they called him and asked him to stop because they have to check out each one, and he was the only code guy. In return they would let him change his barn into a house. :doghead:

icetim

It probably is over 10k lbs, but this county doesn't go by weight. One of there requirements is size, 8'x8'x21'. Mine falls just under that. I have a regular 2 car garage that it would fit in (minus mirrors and windshield lowered), but the steering wheel is what is too high now. I've thought about pulling the wheel just to get it in there, but that would be a PITA to put it back on every I want to drive it.

My neighborhood is the same way. There are boats, RVs, 30' trailers, swamp buggies, and other jacked-up trucks. I thought about calling code enf. on some of these, but I don't want to screw anyone else over. In my opinion, they have as much of a right to enjoy their hobby as I do.

icetim

This is the local code for anyone interested. The violation notice specifically mentions, sections C & D. As I said before, mine is under the 8x8x21 rule.

Sec. 122-37. - Storage, parking, maintenance of prohibited vehicles and equipment in residential zoning districts.

(a)
Intent. It is the intent of this section to prohibit the storage, parking or maintenance of prohibited vehicles in residential zoning districts in order to prevent traffic and safety problems endangering the lives and property of citizens of the county, to prevent unsightly appearances in residential areas, and to prevent diminution of property values.
(b)
Definitions. The following definitions shall apply to the provisions of this section:
Commercial purpose means a use for compensation, including but not limited to the transport of persons, animals, commodities, materials, articles of trade, or the performance or tender of services.

Prohibited vehicles and equipment means and includes, but shall not be limited to, any truck, trailer or stretched and/or extended automobile or sport utility vehicle in excess of 21 feet, or any semi-trailer, tractor trailer combination, or truck tractor as defined in F.S. § 320.01(11), or any step-van, cube-van, box truck, flat bed truck, tow truck, wrecker, moving van, bus, or any construction, landscaping, or land clearing equipment. The term also includes any vehicle used as a platform for a derrick, hoist, crane, compressor, tanks, ladder racks, or similar equipment or as a means of transporting or storing a prohibited vehicle. "Construction, landscaping or land clearing equipment" as used in this section shall include, but not be limited to, any front loader, bulldozer, dragline, crane, or similar vehicle, or any tar pot, concrete mixer, trencher, stump grinder, brush shredder, or similar equipment designed to be towed behind a motorized vehicle.

Residential zoning district means the boundaries of an area of the unincorporated part of the county designated by a single zone residential classification with uniform use regulations, and includes private and public property. When streets or alleyways are used to designate boundaries, such boundaries shall be considered to be the centerline of such streets or alleyways.

(c)
Prohibitions. No person or agent thereof shall cause or permit a prohibited vehicle to be stored, maintained or parked in a residential zoning district unless such vehicle is parked on private property in an enclosed garage or similar lawful structure, thereby eliminating its visibility from public roads and adjacent parcels of land. However, one such vehicle may be parked on a residential property for no more than 30 minutes during the normal lunch hours of 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., not to exceed one 30-minute period per 24-hour day.
(d)
Exemptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the temporary parking of prohibited vehicles in residential zoning districts for the purpose of delivery or receipt of goods or services at a specific residence. Additionally, for each residential dwelling unit there may be one van, pick up truck, or utility trailer, with attachments such as ladder racks, utility beds, flat beds, glass racks, side racks, or elevated tool boxes. However, the vehicle together with any and all such attachments and/or cargo and equipment shall be no more than 21 feet in length, eight feet in height, and eight feet in width. The vehicle must be parked on a prepared, inorganic, hard surfaced, non-dirt, parking area and not on the grassy or vegetated area of the yard. This section is not intended to include operable boat trailers with or without boats, or other recreational vehicles as those are addressed in chapter 138 of this Code.

Goose2448

Yeah, I did not think most places around here go by weight. Now size, that's a different story. For you to be under 8' tall, 96", you would have no stack, folded windshield, and no troop seats, and it would still be close. Maybe let the air out of your tires when you park at your house? haha

Yeah I feel the same way, you do your crap, I do mine, and we dont complain about each other. As long as your not selling drugs or killing people, I'm okay with it.

icetim

I tried letting the air out of the tires. That was a bad idea...the tires came off the rim. :( I removed the stack, doors, top, and mirrors. At the top of the windshield frame it is 95". That's how it was when he came by too.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried letting the air out of the tires. That was a bad idea...the tires came off the rim. :( I removed the stack, doors, top, and mirrors. At the top of the windshield frame it is 95". That's how it was when he came by too.
So you had flat tires and were only 3" below the limit? Break out the checkbook......:shock:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
size

HI in ca it is,anything not a stock p/u ie a m1008 etc is a comm truck even a 1008 has to have comm plates unless has a shell on it.

AN/ARC186

"Additionally, for each residential dwelling unit there may be one van, pick up truck, or utility trailer, with attachments such as ladder racks, utility beds, flat beds, glass racks, side racks, or elevated tool boxes. However, the vehicle together with any and all such attachments and/or cargo and equipment shall be no more than 21 feet in length, eight feet in height, and eight feet in width"

Stick a ladder rack on that bad boy!

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the solution to your problem! Just give your truck to me and I will take care it down here in Manatee County. :)

Goose2448

I have a parking spot for you if you cant find the a solution, I just require that I be able to drive it once and a while.:)

Next thing to try is getting some official measurements done by a DOT officer. Then present them to the code officer or council. Besides its not a deuce and a half anymore. You dropped an axle, so its what a one and a quarter? Nothing more than a regular 3500 pickup.

the buddah

well the ladder deal is easy as i use it all the time a 25.00 step one should be good but it seems some one called them on you as some one did me and but C E said no problem but maybe find out who called and then lets rallie at there front door for a few hours with a few trucks just let me know as i am in on that:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks