• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harbor Freight Tool Recall - Burn Hazard

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some of you use HF tools and I got this in one of my briefings I read daily. (Crusher, this won't apply to you.)

November 27, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission – (National) Harbor Freight Tools recalls cordless drill due to fire and burn hazard. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Harbor Freight Tools, November 27 announced a voluntary recall of about 108,000 cordless drills. The black trigger switch on the 19.2v cordless drill can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers. Harbor Freight Tools has received one report of a drill overheating and burning through the handle of the unit, which resulted in a consumer receiving a minor injury. The drills were sold at Harbor Freight Tools stores nationwide, via catalog and online, from April, 2008 through May 2012. Consumers should stop using the recalled drill immediately, remove the rechargeable battery, and contact Harbor Freight Tools to receive a free replacement drill.

3dAngus

Thanks. Just for your information on a related subject, I got tired of burning out (wearing out)Dewalt 18vdc batteries, so day before yesterday, I ordered the newer 20vdc lithium batteries with my new 20 volt drill, and they are offering a $25 off right now. Still expensive for the two drill set, the 20 v, and the 12 v drills, with batteries (2 20v and 1 12 v) and charger at $199 with $25 off. My guess is the lithium might do better.

I've used up about 5 18vdc dewalt batteries but that is over a 12 year period so it's not really that bad. The thing that will eat them up more than anything else is the high current draw Reciprocating Saw. Those things will eat up some batteries quick.

I've read horror stories of batteries exploding in tools and laptops, though this one is on a switch burn hazard. Be careful out there.

F18hornetM

Thanks for the notice.
We use 18V dewalts exclusively. Had a few bad ones over the years, but like yours not to bad. 5 in 12 years doesnt seem to bad.
I know Harbor freight tools have their place, but no comparison to a Dewalt, Millwaukee etc.

TehTDK

Thanks. Just for your information on a related subject, I got tired of burning out (wearing out)Dewalt 18vdc batteries, so day before yesterday, I ordered the newer 20vdc lithium batteries with my new 20 volt drill, and they are offering a $25 off right now. Still expensive for the two drill set, the 20 v, and the 12 v drills, with batteries (2 20v and 1 12 v) and charger at $199 with $25 off. My guess is the lithium might do better.
199 is not bad for 2 drills and 3 batteries at least if I compare it to what the same things would cost here :)

steelandcanvas

How much longer do you need to hang onto a drill after it starts burning through the handle to get burned? :roll: You would think the smoke and the smell of molten plastic would be a clue something was about to go terribly wrong, and to let go. :roll: Cue the lawyers.

sherifflittle

hf power tools are ok for occasional use but not heavy duty stuff. ive got quite a few from them and tried heavy use and didnt last. ive got one of their winches on the front of my 77 trailduster with no problems yet(yet being the key word).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hf power tools are ok for occasional use but not heavy duty stuff. ive got quite a few from them and tried heavy use and didnt last. ive got one of their winches on the front of my 77 trailduster with no problems yet(yet being the key word).
Don't worry it will fail when you need it the most.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks