• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Filer Cannister Hold Down Bolt Leak

houdel

I changed the oil filters on my Deuce today with a fresh set of Baldwin filters. The base gaskets were a perfect fit, but the red fiber washer which goes under the head of the hollow cannister hold down bolt wasn't even close, so I had to reuse the old washers. Filled her up with fresh oil, started it up, and of course one of the hold down bolts was leaking. Tightened as much as I dared, still leaks.

My chances of getting the right fiber gasket anyplace around here, especially on a Saturday, probably range from zilch to nada. Anybody have a thought for a good field expedient replacement gasket? Would a nice, thick HD "O" ring work? Or would an "O" ring blow out from the radial pressure, since it has no support around the circumference?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure the torque spec. is 60 ft/lbs, for the oil filter housing bolt. As for a "quick fix" gasket, a cereal box will usually work for temporary emergency gasket material!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: washer

Normal gasket material will squish out. I was considering stamping out some copper gaskets similar to thats used on brake banjo fittings

houdel

RE: washer

Surprisingly, I got a usable fibre washer at the second auto parts store I tried. I expected the first place, a Carquest shop, would have them as they are a larger store and seem to carry a fair amount of HD truck stuff but nope, no such luck. Then I went to a PartsPlus store, a smaller place, but they carry the "Dorman" line of auto hardware. After a little digging around, he found a usable gasket. Same ID but a little smaller OD. I compared his with my old one, the OD of the Dorman gasket was larger than the "crush" area of my old gasket so I figured it would work OK. Bought 4 so I'd have some for the next filter change plus a spare, cost me all of $1.58, including sales tax for the four of them.

Lightly sandpapered the top of my oil filter cannister to smooth out any rough spots or burrs that could be a potential source for leaking, reinstalled the filter and cannister, fired it up, no leak! Went for a short spin to get the engine warmed up, still no leak so I guess I am OK!