• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 Series "Personal Heater Vent Valve" ?

Artisan

In the -10 TM, on page 0004-18, if you look at KEY #1 it points to and talks about
a "Personal Heater Vent Valve" . It says to turn it clockwise to purge
personal hot water heater of air

I don't get it...what am I missing here? What does it do and why may I ask?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
That would be the "personnel heater vent valve", not "personal heater vent valve". It's just a little drain valve, like a radiator drain valve or the air tank drain valves. It's located on the heater box inside the engine compartment. It's at a high point in the heater core, and lets you bleed out any air from the heater core. You turn it counterclockwise to open it, not clockwise.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is that that both hoses have shut off valves at the engine and to purge the air in the heater system when shut off till coolant flows out to keep from having an air pocket going to the engine when heater is turned on. I have never used that valve or the heater yet but I will go looking for it as I don't recall seeing it?

Some cars have bleeder screws at the t-stat housing/water outlet to purge air and I am thinking the same function?

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I haven't looked inside the engine compartment in a few weeks, but based on that drawing in the TM and the pictures I have handy of my truck's engine compartment, I think that valve isn't easily visible from the ground. I think you'll need to climb up into the passenger side of the engine compartment to put eyes on it.

The heater system does have shutoff valves at the engine. I haven't been inside the heater box on my 5-tons yet, but I'm guessing that the heater core inlet and outlet are below the top of the core, so an air pocket can accumulate in there if any air gets into the system. Thus, the vent valve to bleed it, just like the thermostat housing bleed screw that juanprado mentioned seeing on some cars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks