• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing input/output shaft seals on transfercase, any pointers?

Hey guys i swapped in a new transfercase a month ago because of pieces i found. I decided to keep the truck just havent been driving it much and i need to swap the output shaft seal for sure, the input shaft seal i think was a little wet, the front axle seal hasnt started leaking but i figured i might as well do it while i had it apart again.

I noticed cotter pins on each of the yoke nuts, are these yokes set to a certain depth like on rear axle pinions? Or can i just run them loose, run them tight and jam a new cotter pin in?

From what TNJ murray is telling me they are all the same seal size they believe. Is that right? Will i need a puller to get the yokes off or do they just loosely slip on a splined shaft? Will i need a puller for the seal or can i just pry them out and tap new ones in with PVC pipe like the axle seals?

I will be sanding the yokes etc to ensure it doesnt damage the new seals too.

Anything else i should be aware of or look for? or tools i should buy?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is all covered in the -20 TM.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the seal surface looks bad on the yokes, get a repacement yoke. If you can't get a replacement yoke, put the best looking yokes on the outputs. Sometimes you can mess around with how far you set the seals so that the seals ride on a different part of the yoke. It all depends how the yoke is and if you have enough room to play with driving the seal in.

Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-209-20P.pdf page 235 shows part #6 as the same parts though flipping through them i cannot find where it lists the actual part description these look like the dust shields not the actual seal which it does not show under figure 99, and i cannot find the rear output seal though on page 261 it lists the dust sheild as part #10 in figure 111 but it doesnt show the seal either

Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-209-20-3-1.pdf page 711 chaper 9 goes over the removal of the transfer case but not any of the yokes, it mentioned dissasembly of the propeler shafts but not the yokes

Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2520-246-34P.pdf page 30 figure 7 shows the input and front axle output as the same item but i still havent found the rear output seal or any instructions on replacement

Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2320-361-20P.pdf picture page 179 figure 69 just shows the transfercase linkage.

I'm having alot of trouble locating it

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, try TM 9-2520-246-34-1

Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2520-246-34-1.pdf

Page 214 shows rear output shaft seal size, and the following pages show the others all are 3.353-3.357" so they are the same seal

Page 267 shows rear output shaft seal installaion just tap it in with punch

Page 299 shows rear output shaft yoke (the call it companion flange) install. Slide on and tighten to 300-400ft lb then line up cotter pin. No depth measurement, it mentions holding flange with large adjustable though i think you can just tighten down with truck in gear/ parking brake on alternating which shafts/yokes you remove

Thanks everyone!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the seal surface looks bad on the yokes, get a repacement yoke. If you can't get a replacement yoke, put the best looking yokes on the outputs. Sometimes you can mess around with how far you set the seals so that the seals ride on a different part of the yoke. It all depends how the yoke is and if you have enough room to play with driving the seal in.
You can also get a speedi-sleeve to repair a grooved yoke.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manual http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2520-246-34-1.pdf

Page 214 shows rear output shaft seal size, and the following pages show the others all are 3.353-3.357" so they are the same seal

Page 267 shows rear output shaft seal installaion just tap it in with punch

Page 299 shows rear output shaft yoke (the call it companion flange) install. Slide on and tighten to 300-400ft lb then line up cotter pin. No depth measurement, it mentions holding flange with large adjustable though i think you can just tighten down with truck in gear/ parking brake on alternating which shafts/yokes you remove

Thanks everyone!
Can someone tell me if these transfer case input and output seals are the same as the pinion seals?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone tell me if these transfer case input and output seals are the same as the pinion seals?
Bore and "shaft" -diameters are the same: 3.350" x 2.375", respectively. So yes, basically you can use the same seals, all around, even if the original part numbers differ.

Some part numbers here, for "modern" seals from the most common brands: C/R-SKF #23710; Timken #412119 or # 410101; Clark TA2-2.375-3.350-0.437

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can also get a speedi-sleeve to repair a grooved yoke.

I have a deuce here I am doing pinion seals on and the driveshaft flanges are grooved-does anyone have the speedi sleeve #'s for these?

I have used "fixer" bearings for GM axle shafts where the bearings ride on the axle shaft and cut grooves in them and I have seen sleeves in use never ordered them. How do you know what to order when you have an oddball vehicle like a deuce? Not like you call Napa and say "hey I've got a '71 M35A2 and I need a speedi sleeve for the pinion seal-send 2 over".

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the numbers , but my local Carquest had one in stock . That was in 2009 so I doubt the receit is still around. They mic'ed it out and looked it up. If I can find the number I will post it .

skinnyR1

I have a deuce here I am doing pinion seals on and the driveshaft flanges are grooved-does anyone have the speedi sleeve #'s for these?

I have used "fixer" bearings for GM axle shafts where the bearings ride on the axle shaft and cut grooves in them and I have seen sleeves in use never ordered them. How do you know what to order when you have an oddball vehicle like a deuce? Not like you call Napa and say "hey I've got a '71 M35A2 and I need a speedi sleeve for the pinion seal-send 2 over".
Did you ever identify which speedi sleeve is needed for the pinion/yoke?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did you ever identify which speedi sleeve is needed for the pinion/yoke?
No. What I ended up doing, after being advised by a Rockwell/M44 expert was to let a machine shop polish the flange and if the groove didn't come out, let them turn the flange down slightly and use a different pinion seal with a slightly smaller inner diameter.

The exact quote and the meat of the advice: In this case we have a stock "shaft" diameter of 2-3/8"(= 60.3mm). Bore is 3.350", so what I normally do is resurface down to Ø 60mm, or little under if necessary, and install a 85(+)x60x10 (metric)seal. Normally they all come sligtly oversized and fit in well, even if our bore is 85.09mm. Or you could try to find one (not so popular) that comes bore =3.350" x shaft =2.343", any std.width.

My local machine shop polished the flanges for me and they aren't leaking 6+ months later.

IMAG0905.jpgIMAG0906.jpgIMAG0907.jpgIMAG0908.jpgIMAG0909.jpgIMAG0910.jpgIMAG0911.jpgIMAG0912.jpgIMAG0916.jpg

Dipstick

Bore and "shaft" -diameters are the same: 3.350" x 2.375", respectively. So yes, basically you can use the same seals, all around, even if the original part numbers differ.

Some part numbers here, for "modern" seals from the most common brands: C/R-SKF #23710; Timken #412119 or # 410101; Clark TA2-2.375-3.350-0.437

G.
You really do know your stuff!!! Always informative. Thanks for helping all of us out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks