• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my rear electric winch install on the 5-ton

dma251

I should have taken some pics of the entire process. Basically I took a couple of spare M900 series front bumper extensions, cut and welded them into a nice winch cradle and then mounted some 3"x3"x 1/4" angle to the top of the framerails for the winch to pin to.

I also just finished mounting all my rear LED clearance lights. Now I need to wire the winch and think up another project for my beastly recovery rig. (the rear winch is planned for use when I have to rescue my 4 wheeling buddies. It's only an 8000 lb. capacity so I know it won't do much to move the truck. I bought it brand new for only $250 though, so I needed to do something with it!

Attachments

JRBAMATEX

Is the winch running on 12 or 24VDC? Any special electrical work required? I'd like to do something like this only place the winch up in the bed for pulling heavy stuff of ramps when I don't have any help.

mangus580

I actually have a 24v winch setup on a hitch mount for the 1009... going to wire it using a slave port on the winch, and a slave cable to connect it to the trucks... already done it once (well kinda) on the 1009... This works good, as I can use it anwhere I can mount a hitch.

jeli

Slick setup. I could have used a setup like that many times hooking trailers. We had a water buffalo end up on its back end. Had to get it with an M548.

rizzo

wreckerman893 said:
Very cool setup. 8)
You could also use it to pull a heavy trailer to you when hooking to the pintle if there was not a lot of resistance. :idea:
or pull dead vehicles up on the trailer.

rizzo

mangus580 said:
I actually have a 24v winch setup on a hitch mount for the 1009... going to wire it using a slave port on the winch, and a slave cable to connect it to the trucks... already done it once (well kinda) on the 1009... This works good, as I can use it anwhere I can mount a hitch.
I have a winch on a hitch mount and was thinking of making a receiver I could pin into the holes on the front shackle mounts then stick the winch in that.

dma251

I set this up so I can pull 4 clevis pins and slide it out (it's heavy - about 100 lbs.) and then pin it in the front of the bed for loading heavy stuff up ramps also. It's not easy to move around, but it is do-able. I've also just bought a 2000 lb. superwinch ATV winch off Ebay to replace the handcrank on my Harbor Freight crane. I tried to load a aux. fuel tank with that hand crank - what a joke! I don't know how they come up with their ratings for that crap, but there is no way that thing could ever lift 1000 without busting. The crane itself is pretty solid, but the taiwanese junk of a hand winch had to go.

Oh, by the way - I've discovered that name brand Trucklite red LED lights handle 24 volts fine, but the cheap knockoffs from Ebay don't do so well. Just my experience. Trucklite's are the way to go!

OSO

Like the winch mount , you sure got that done in a timely fashion . Last Tuesday you just finished the welding on the winch mount. Sounds like your eye is a little better. Got my metal plate last week on Thursday, Type of truck IHC Flatbed whats on title.OSO [thumbzup]

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great job:
Funny thing is the Russian trucks all have their winches located in the rear like that and have built in pulleys to direct it to the front if need be. I have always found it easier to recover a truck back from where it came and when I first saw one of those over in the Balkins I wanted to do it to my truck too. Thanks for posting the pictures

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Strykers have pulleys or if you want to be manly and call them mounted blocks in pre-posisitioned places to route the winch line to the correct spot. Go ahead and break your young back but I am old and need mechanical advantage.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Very nice. This is simimalr to what I have planned, but my fairlead will probably end up under the rear cross member.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those plasma cutters will really make you smile! Just don't cut on your concrete garage floor, it will shatter the concrete real quick! (Don't ask me how I know.)

dma251

I was wondering about that! I changed out the hood on my pickup, so I used the old one for practice when I first got the cutter. Man that is so much fun just zooming around cutting designs in the metal! It's amazing how fast they can cut, and make such a clean edge. The rear panel under my tailgate on the 5-ton is about 3/16" thick steel, and it cuts so fast you really have to think out EXACTLY what you want to cut, because it's easy to do damage in hurry with that much cutting power.

Wish I bought one a long time ago, what with all that hacksawing and grinding.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks