• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overheat and then no start

toter

i have a 1971 m35 i had it for a while and one day when i was out it overheated and shut off so i waited for a bit and it started back yp ran for a few mins and shut off again i had to get towed home. so i pulled the therstat out and it did the same thing it runs for a halfhour and shuts off and wont start does any body have any sugg thank you toter

toter

yes the rad is filled and it cranks over fine i was thinking the rad is shot i just dont want to dump 400 on a new one it just started doing this one day out of the blue i have put fuel filters on like 6 months ago and i took off the filter on the pass side
and it has a new fuel pump

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to what others said, try adjusting the valves. Tight valves when it is cold could make it lose compression when it gets hot. Besides, if you never did it before, its good PM to perform regardless.

RAYZER

Doe's the temp gauge reflect that it is overheated? What temp?
Or could it be the radiator is overfilled and pushing coolant out untill it finds its own level like they always do?
Could be filters like Gimp said, coupled with the above.

goldneagle

If the filters are clogged it may run a short time and then die due to lack of fuel getting to the IP. Check the primary filter for a bunch of crud on it. Then check the secondaries as well.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the thermostat must be in for correct coolant flow, you cannot run the engine without it. it is not a simple thermostat, it is a three way valve. how do you know it overheats?? when it won't restart does it respond to starting fluid? does it crank at 300 rpm? we need more info, it may not be related to temp at all.

toter

the temp gauge goes up all the way and the deuce shuts off and when it cools down it starts right back up runs for a couple mins and shuts off and no it wont stay running if you hit it with starting fluid starts and dies right out it never did this tell it started overheating iv been working on cars for like 15 years but i just got my deuce 3 years ago so im learnibg as i go well we are learning my wife has a 68 kaiser deuce

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is a chemical tester that will look for exhaust in the radiator, most shops should have something like that. you can also test the rad for flow yourself the old school way, remove the upper and lower hose, hold your hand over the lower outlet and fill the rad. when you remove your hand the water should rush out in one big flow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks