• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New SS HELLO from MS, first purchase MV M925A1 any advice appreciated for recovery

denelec06

HELLO to all SS members. What a very informative, mature, and respectable site. The resources and cohesion displayed on SS is priceless. Thanks to everyone for their willingness to share their experiences with me. I have just purchased a M925A1 out west and plan to recover mid February. SS has given me many valuable tips for recovery, but as a first time owner of a MV I am very open to an advice. Thanks to all of you in advance and a special thanks to all of the SS MILITARY VETERANS and SS STAFF.

Triple C

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but there are lots of recovery guys here who will weigh in to help though. What I can say is --- Welcome to the site (oh and read the tm's fore they tell you to.)

Triple C

Come on fellas help him out, you don't want ME giving him advice, I didn't even take a spare tire or battery on my recovery. On Second thought I guess I can help; don't do it like I did! Have it shipped if you can afford it and if not take everything you can think of, including my brother in law if you can get him to go!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes to read everything that you can about these trucks. bring plenty of tools and all the fluids that you can think of. i also bring a generator and a air compressor as i dont rely on the onboard one working

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure were your truck is, but if it is close to me here AZ Castle Bravo and I would be willing to pick it up and store it for you if need be.
We have done pickups at Barstow, and Nellis, and Tucson.
Happy to help anyway we can.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and check out the La Rally thread that Tim puts together in Ponchatoula. You are close enough to come by in April.

My only advise is the water pump belt and it is quite a bear to change. Mine broke on the way home and at least 2 other ss members have posted the same trouble. Search the threads here. basically the water pump on the NHC250 has to be rotated to adjust the belt and normally it breaks the seal and leaks like a sieve.

I would advise getting a universal link powertwist belt off amazon to carry to keep you going as a stop gap fix. Changing the belt on the road is not an option. One enterprising ss member used pantyhose and I think he got about 100 miles on each pair to limp him home. All the other belts are easy fix and adjustable easily.

Artisan

OK I found it...

TM-9-2320-272-23-2 Field maintenance Manual, starting page 1067...

Looks like I need to read this...I think I need a brass punch too!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not the correct belt but one you can assemble in the field so you can drive off. It is not a permanent fix but it used by industry for conveyors and machinery that can not go down for long time. The NHC250 uses the most absurd eccentric water pump. The water pump belt has no other adjustment than loosening the pump housing, rotating the pump, place belt, and rotate in the opposite direction to tighten while hoping a seal holding 37 qts of fluid does not leak. Of course it leaks because it has not been disturbed before and the military suggests using grease on a copper crush gasket to keep it from leaking. It is insane and I can't comprehend any engineer who designed this. This is the only engine automotive or heavy duty that in 20 years of selling parts I know works like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Powertwist-Po...d=1360396916&sr=1-1&keywords=power+twist+belt

denelec06

Thanks everyone. I sure wished I could get someone to take a look at quick look at the truck for me. JUAN is one 4' quick belt long enough to replace one belt or do I need 2?

goldneagle

Thanks everyone. I sure wished I could get someone to take a look at quick look at the truck for me. JUAN is one 4' quick belt long enough to replace one belt or do I need 2?
Welcome to the site. Did you win the truck out of Hattiesburg? If so you can contact Jeff Davis CSM DAVIS and see if he might be able to help you on a recovery.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belt is 43 inches so you would be ok with 48

Replacement belt is a NAPA 25-22425

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBH2522425_0158718038

I used this one off ebay. It was wider and fit the pulley snug. It also was a more snug toothed bottom. Price was also much better :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230485636075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Water pump is a single belt. The other pulley on the pump is not used. No slot on engine drive to use it.

The alt, pwr stg, and fan all have their own double belts. All these are easy to change and adjust in case they pop.

denelec06

JUAN great advice on the belt have 2 on the way for my trip. I started a thread on recovery of 923 attached a list of things hopeing people will add to it and anyone going to get one of these trucks can have an all inclusive list of things to think about or bring

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish you all the best. I learned the hard way!:twisted:

I picked up my truck on Mardi Gras last year from Ft Polk and made it all the way to LaPlace with 18 miles to go to New Orleans when things went sour. I broke down on the elevated I-10 span over the Labranch wetlands at 5:30 PM. I was calling tow truck companies on the worst day of the year to find someone available and not drunk on my cell phone on the side of the road. aua

Thankfully I was heading towards New Orleans and all the folks who had partied where headed away from New Orleans. I actually had 6 marked LEO's and state police pass me up on the side of the road without stopping. This is a relatively narrow shoulder and the M923 filled all of it. I walked 150 ft down the interstate in case someone plowed into a stationary object. My son was in my chase vehicle with an m105 trailer and I sent him away and would not let him stay. :evil:

I vowed that would never ever happen to me again. I did not even know at the time what a stupid design these Cummings engines had for water pumps. These wp belts probably never get the same level of pm because of the difficulty in changing them that other components get. :cry:

My other wisdom is to get yourself a triangle warning kit. Don't expect anything in the truck. My only bonus was a padlock with key left on the seat and a rusty stripped screwdriver in the tool box.

On my adventure, I did not have any flares or triangles. Also, learned that lesson. By the time I got picked up the flashers were barely blinking in the dark. aua

Others will hopefully learn from my stupidity and never have the same problems.:deadhorse:

[thumbzup]:tank:

:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks