• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Spot Flood Light Assistance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am working on troubleshooting the spot and flood lights on the M1010. The only part of this covered in the TM is bulb replacement and fixture replacement. The wiring schematic shows a relay used for both the spot and side floods. Does anyone have an idea where this relay is located? I've traced the wires best I can see under the dash and they seem to dissappear into the main harness.

Thanks

natem

They are over the rear driver side wheel well, under the bunk. There should be a cover over the panel with one screw holding front and rear.

I should add you might want to disconnect power before removing the cover.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I've looked over that panel in the TMs countless times and was never able to confirm that the relay was there. Will start there!

m38inmaine

The spotlight/floodlight relay is located under the dash right next to the starter relay. It's the same relay that a normal cucv uses as the gen 2 relay. This is the relay that causes a battery drain when the master light switch is left on. If the the lights are not working it's usually the fuse at the top of the fuse box. The spotlights are famous for shorting out. I have been here before.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just figured that one out. Since there is no generator 2 relay in the M1010 I figured that was it. At least I can go forward with troubleshooting now. I can find no mention of that relay in any of the TMs. Thanks for confirming that Mark. Reference shorting out, is this usually at the light or behind the walls?

m38inmaine

It's the spotlight that shorts out. Disconnect the spotlight first, next check the fuse at the top of the fuse box, there are two at the top I think it is the left one. If it's blown replace it then check your side lights they should now work. The spotlight hot power goes up through the light on a shaft which is suppose to be insulated from the main body that is where they fail.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, thanks Mark. My spotlight is broken and missing parts. The wire was sucked up in the roof. I pulled the left visor out and removed the wire, extended it and fished it back through the hole then installed a grommet. The wire is just tied up now. This may explain why the MS Guard installed a spot light toggle switch under the light switches on the dash. I'll deal with the spotlight later. Haven't forgot you either, just too lazy to take the case apart.

m38inmaine

Page F-19 shows the relay. It shows the spotlight wire as dark blue. The wire from the light through the roof and down the door post is usually black, then terminates to a connector where it is orange with black tracer into the wiring harness. Curious if yours is the same. All the ones I have worked on are this way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find the relay in the schematic but nowhere else. I need to get back under the dash but the roof wire was black.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks