• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to find a part (educational--I hope)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Because Doghead is in my Doghouse for 40 days and 40 nights he will post from TM 9-2320-289-20P figure 32 and pages 32-1 and Index page I-109 so you can see what I'm talking about below.

So as I posted the other day my truck starter conked out after cranking about 1/2 a second. Since it was a sand storm at the time, I opted to walk the mile home and deal with the truck after the storm.

I had a replacement started that had been the original one on this truck when I bought it. It was bad at that time and I had it rebuilt and it was already sitting on my shelf. Learning point is, if you're gonna buy a CUCV, always have a spare starter AND at least one alternator. So as I'm dropping the starter I notice 2 things.

1. The forward bolt holding the starter was missing.
2. The front wires were hanging loose.
3. The starter appeared to have taken a hit and one of the bolts that one of the wires connected to was bent.

So instead of rumaging around the garage attempting to find the right bolt, it was easier to look it up and then go to the store and get the right one.

Using the TM 9-2320-289-20P (P for parts) manual that is available in the resources section, I did a search on starter. Sure enough it came up as figure 32. Next found the bolt, item 4. There are several ways to do the next step but my favorite is to go to the back of the index (in the case of the CUCV since some manuals have this information on the page accompanying the picture such as the HMMWV manual). Then using the index page (in this case I-109) found figure 32, item 4 and it gave me the following information

32 4 5306-01-165-5583 11862 14060613

I know off the top of my head that the number (cage code) 11862 is for Chevorlet. So Chevorlet part number 14060613 is what I need. Since I'm not about to pay $10for a bolt, I want the characteristics so I can buy one at O'Reilly's. So I go to the internet and punch in the NSN
5306-01-165-5583. Many of the govt parts suppliers will pop up but you just need to go through the various a-holes until you find the one that gives you the characteriestics. In this case the ISO Group Sustainment Partners gave me the answer I need.

So it is a 8mm thread diameter that is 20mm overall length. No guessing now and it is off to the store.

NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) 5306-01-165-5583
NATIONAL ITEM IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (NIIN)011655583
NSN DESCRIPTION
FEDERAL SUPPLY CLASS (FSC)5306 - Bolts
CODIFICATION COUNTRYUnited States
ITEM NAME CODE (INC)01847
CRITICALITY
Automatic Data Processing Equipment Code (ADP)
DEMILITARIZATION (DML)
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INDICATOR CODE (HMIC)(N) There is no data in the HMIS and the NSN is in an FSC not generally suspected of containing hazardous materials
PRECIOUS METALS INDICATOR CODE (PMIC)
Environmental Attribute Code (ENAC)
ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE CODE (ESDC)
CONT0
CNT X Ref2

MRCRequirementReply
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORM
AHYM NOMINAL THREAD DIAMETER 8.0 MILLIMETERS
CQQR THREAD PITCH IN MILLIMETERS 1.25
AAJF
RIGHT-HAND
AASA
16.25 MILLIMETERS NOMINAL
AASB
20.00 MILLIMETE

Associated Parts

Part Number ISC RNVC RNCC HCC MSDS SADC DAC

A

01-165-5583

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks