• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I honestly love getting buzzed but give me some notice....

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, you're in a GREAT location for photo opportunities.
My mother-in-law is at Alamogordo, and our excursions around and onto Holloman AFB are ALWAYS beyond AWESOME.
Traveling across White Sands, I lov seeing the signs saying that STOPPING and PHOTOGRAPHY are STRICTLY PROHIBITTED. Mom-in-law once pulled over on that stretch of road after spilling a coke in the car. By the time she got rolling again she was INTERCEPTED and STOPPED by a collection of BLACK SUBURBANS and had her car searched, camera and phone searched for prohibitted pics, and then pleasantly allowed to leave once they felt the wet floor mat and saw all the soggy napkins and kleenex she's used to clean up the spill.
BE CAREFUL what to photograph.

BTW - My wife, Dianna, was born in Roswell, NM. That's another story for another time.

nopics
nopics
nopics

Heath_h49008

Thank you. I originally used birch ply for spars, then went with carbon fiber (that was about a 50 hour repair, did both sides, dug out the gorrilla glue'd spars from the foam cores). Nobel kits....thats about 60 years old. My first was a Royal P-38.....a box of sticks, nothing pre-cut..."shape block of balsa into gondola". Fun hobby, though way too much time for something that can be turned into a pile of kindling in a split second.
You do some really nice work. I never made it into 1/4 scale. But I always heard the bigger they are, the nicer they fly.

As for the Nobler, I built a Junior Nobler for 4H when I was a kid, and the kit was old then. (That was the late 1980's) and I picked up a Nobler Sr kit at a swap meet in the 1990's. I was just getting into RC, and then I turned 15, got a job that payed better than what I made putting up hay as a kid, and fell into cars/trucks.

It's weird... I grew up flying control line because we were too poor to buy RC, and then got out of it before the really amazing advances were made. (cheap piezio gyros and the like) I always wanted to build a plane with what I know now from programming and design with a Cell/GPS secondary control system. But I think the FAA might have an issue with me doing so. My RC days stopped at a Futaba 4ch with s148 servos...

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if we're hi-jacking the thread but I don't have any fighters buzzing me. Gotta say Thank You for the C-130, wow.

The latest budgets to start RC flying these days is lower then a CARNAC buzzing Corsair. To keep it MV, the scale, foam, electric, replica models available for buzzing your friends.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/rc_warbird_airplanes_207_ctg.htm

The trainers can be purchased for $100 and assembled in minutes.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/beginner_trainer_airplanes_199_ctg.htm

This spektrum radio is priced over $400.00 but I have seen them for less then $100.00. Buyer beware. The new radios allow you to have all your aircraft on one transmitter.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM8800

Here's some more of the latest technology.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRJjsMR-Bs

Heath_h49008

You know, a full-on SteelSoldiers rally filmed from a 1/4 scale "Sandy" Skyraider, F-4 or UH-1 would be very interesting.

That VR pilot system is AMAZING. :drool:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, a full-on SteelSoldiers rally filmed from a 1/4 scale "Sandy" Skyraider, F-4 or UH-1 would be very interesting.

That VR pilot system is AMAZING. :drool:
GREAT idea :jumpin: . . . [thumbzup]

Question:
At what point does an R/C hobby aircraft, equipped with ANY photo of other "collection" equipment, become a dreaded DRONE ?!?!?

Back on topic....
Our home is beneath the approach path for San Angelo's Regional Airport - Mathis Field. We're about 7 miles from the runway threshold. I often step outside when I hear uncommon engine/propeller/jet sounds outside. Over the years I've seen some pretty interesting aircraft overfly the house.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys, we have derailed this train.

Want to talk R/C or pilotless aircraft? Lets start a new thread.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't lived until you drive a UPS delivery van in rural SC, and the SC air national guard uses your truck as a mobile aiming point. I would never see the first two- only hear them. By the time the second two went by, all I saw was the ass end of a F16, getting it for all it was worth, as they headed for the coast, and unrestricted airspace to play in.

vtdeucedriver

I have lived my whole life working in aviation. Both military and civilian. When 911 occurred and our FedEx fleet stopped taking off, my wife and I could not sleep. We're only 1/2 mile off the end of a runway. The sounds and smell of jet A is comforting to us.

As far as Med-a-vac or search and rescue or recovery goes, I have almost 2k of hours in a Huey (single engine all weather freedom fighter). Ole Bell hotel when deployed. When you rescue someone or recover remains for a family, it's the greatest feeling. Not all success stories. But never had anyone not happy that we did all we could do.

Got a chance to see a B-25 up close and tour it inside and out. Gave me a great perspective on my Great uncles job as tail gunner and what it was like when he was shot down in WW2. When I finally get to retire, I need to find a place close to a small airport for sure.
Your sick................The smell of burning 100LL is MUCH better than Jet A

Carlo

SO I CAN GET MY CAMERA!!!

This past weekend Fi FI the B29 was in the air over El Paso (took off from the airport)....no camera.

A few minutes ago 3 P-51's and a P-38 all took off together from the airport....no camera. This was my first time seeing and hearing a P38. I'm sure it was the first one off the strip and when it came over (with the P51's right behind) I knew it was a high performance engine but couldn't place it. Got it locked in the brain now. The dual sound of the P38 and P51 together threw me for a curve until I realized it was 4 aircraft not just 1. Man I love this place.

Since being here for thepast 6 months I've been buzzed by F/A 18, T38s, Guppy, Atlantis on piggyback of a 747, F-15 (I think--it wasdark), AH64, AH1, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Dang it, give me warning so I can grab the camera before you're gone.
I hope you know how lucky you are to have seen this and heard the roar. I wish I was there too!

combatmech

SO I CAN GET MY CAMERA!!!

This past weekend Fi FI the B29 was in the air over El Paso (took off from the airport)....no camera.

A few minutes ago 3 P-51's and a P-38 all took off together from the airport....no camera. This was my first time seeing and hearing a P38. I'm sure it was the first one off the strip and when it came over (with the P51's right behind) I knew it was a high performance engine but couldn't place it. Got it locked in the brain now. The dual sound of the P38 and P51 together threw me for a curve until I realized it was 4 aircraft not just 1. Man I love this place.

Since being here for thepast 6 months I've been buzzed by F/A 18, T38s, Guppy, Atlantis on piggyback of a 747, F-15 (I think--it wasdark), AH64, AH1, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Dang it, give me warning so I can grab the camera before you're gone.
Staying on track......
Guess I should have posted something sooner. I work for the CAF on "FIFI" and "Diamond 'lil" Sorry you didn't get any pics of her. I'm sure we'll pass through there again. I don't go out on tour with the 29 till next week. Here is the CAF website that has tour information. The spring tour is on the west coast.

www.cafb29b24.org Check the B29 "FiFi" tour schedule tab.

I'll post pictures and updates if everyone would like. We should return to Addison on or about 5 April.

vtdeucedriver

Staying on track......
Guess I should have posted something sooner. I work for the CAF on "FIFI" and "Diamond 'lil" Sorry you didn't get any pics of her. I'm sure we'll pass through there again. I don't go out on tour with the 29 till next week. Here is the CAF website that has tour information. The spring tour is on the west coast.

I'll post pictures and updates if everyone would like. We should return to Addison on or about 5 April.
You guys any closer to getting the repairs done to "Lil?"

BTW.................as I write this, I am looking at a fuel gage that Gary Austin sent me before he left us.

combatmech

You guys any closer to getting the repairs done to "Lil?"

BTW.................as I write this, I am looking at a fuel gage that Gary Austin sent me before he left us.

Nice.... I never met Gary. I spent the last week working on the #3 engine in "LiL". We had to replace the #14 jug and get other inspection items done.
The Sheet metal work is an on going progress. We "plan" to have her back in the air for the summer tour.

Tony, I turned down several overseas jobs to take this one. I spent enough time over in the sand box, and money isnt everything.

My warbird experience goes back to my days at Cavanaugh Flight Museum days ( 1995-1998 ) as a paid employee. I have been a volunteer ever since. ( on again - off again ) It's just blind luck that I talked to the current DOM for FIFI and Diamond LiL, that I landed this job. I have to pinch myself that it's actually happening.
In addition to turning wrenches, I also serve as the Flight Engineer for both aircraft. As a career mechanic and aircrewman serving with " specialized " squadrons across the Navy, it is truly an honor to perform such functions. It is a very small circle of experience that I am very thankful to be a part of.
More info and pics to follow.

FUBIJAR

Nice.... I never met Gary. I spent the last week working on the #3 engine in "LiL". We had to replace the #14 jug and get other inspection items done.
The Sheet metal work is an on going progress. We "plan" to have her back in the air for the summer tour.

Tony, I turned down several overseas jobs to take this one. I spent enough time over in the sand box, and money isnt everything.

My warbird experience goes back to my days at Cavanaugh Flight Museum days ( 1995-1998 ) as a paid employee. I have been a volunteer ever since. ( on again - off again ) It's just blind luck that I talked to the current DOM for FIFI and Diamond LiL, that I landed this job. I have to pinch myself that it's actually happening.
In addition to turning wrenches, I also serve as the Flight Engineer for both aircraft. As a career mechanic and aircrewman serving with " specialized " squadrons across the Navy, it is truly an honor to perform such functions. It is a very small circle of experience that I am very thankful to be a part of.
More info and pics to follow.
"Specialized" Squadrons? I have some flight time with EP-3 and various P-3 Squadrons in the Navy, did you happen to be a flight Engineer in any of those type outfits?

Carlo

Staying on track......

I guess you can really say you are living the dream, no? Keep them flying and out of the barns!

combatmech

Not a P3 guy...I've walked through a few. Never flown on one. I was an FCF crewman on 60's and worked at NSAWC. My last squadron is the Navy's dedicated special warfare squadron.

mudman

I work in Tonopah Nevada..And we see all kinds of weird stuff at night and early Mornings. We have the Nevada Test Site and Area-- too.!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buzzing Notice;

I was checking through some other airshow links so I know when I'm getting buzzed and noticed some inconsistencies in schedules.

Our Canadian site, which is usually easy to use, thorough and accurate, had the Yuma airshow on March16th. http://www.airshows.forces.gc.ca/shows_usa_e.aspx That date is WRONG.

The correct date is March 9, 2013 so Gunfreak25 and others will be getting buzzed this weekend http://www.yumaairshow.com/

I'm still looking for the best sites to track the warbirds, especially the P-38 and found this Planes of Fame schedule. http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=2013_calendar

..... and how can you get any better then the International Council of Airshows http://www.airshows.aero/

......another decent airshow link. http://www.airshownetwork.com/all_shows.html

Just in case you need a buzz but can't get away, another link to explain the costs if you decide to have your own airshow. http://www.heritageflight.org/content/airshows/

Don't forget to schedule a ride in a warbird http://www.azcaf.org/pages/rides.html

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here we go again....B17 but too far away to see much else. The bino's were just inside the door but el swifto didn't think about them until after the fact--DUH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks