• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
602nd Support Maintenance Company, Kileen, TX...? Part of the 552nd CSSB... 4th Sustainment Brigade....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure you have one million things to look at and inspect. If you have time, I would love to see how the spare tire thingy works.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't realize bridge plates were still in use.

Spare tire thing is neato.

I can tell I've been fixing things for too long-I keep looking at it thinking "that's very helpful but it's a lot of stuff to fail and require maintenance".

DSD277

It's an air driven pump that operates the hydraulics, and they are slow. You need to remember the tires on the FMTVs are 340 lbs. The standard cab around 1400 lbs. The unit also does the suspension compression for air transport

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It's an air driven pump that operates the hydraulics, and they are slow. You need to remember the tires on the FMTVs are 340 lbs. The standard cab around 1400 lbs. The unit also does the suspension compression for air transport
I am looking at the different ways to load a tire/rim combo as my 395 with hemtt rims are 375+lbs. Trust me, I'd rather it be slow and me not have to lift it, but that was WAY too slow. Looks like I will be putting a winch on my crane to load the combo.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That guy in the video sure looks familiar, oops that's me!! Both the tire and cab hydraulics were very slow. I had to speed up the video so not to bore everyone.

I ended up selling the LMTV, it was a cool truck though.

DSD277

Its not like you're using it every day. Besides, the main function of the pump is to compress the suspension for air transport (which the engine was to be running, according to the TM). The cab tilt and spare tire carrier was a bonus. The Steyr 12M18 ( from where the FMTVs came from) used a manual hydraulic jack to tilt the cab and tire was in a carrier under the bed.
Like most things, you must trade off capacity for speed

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice aquisition Derrick. That's going to be a lot of fun, hopefully it's not going to require much to get it going. The crane on that is incredibly useful.

I have four of them at work, and unfortunately only one is FMC. They seem to develop a lot of air/hydraulic problems. I can't speak specifics on what seems to be the trouble, only that ours have chronic issues. Funny though, our privately owned trucks get much more TLC in troubleshooting and maintenance than their counterparts still owned by Uncle. :-D

DSD277

You only need 2 batteries to start it. Just insulate the unused terminals.Just be sure to use all 3 taps for 12v and 24v... I've been using 2 mismatched batteries since last July. Once the truck is ready, I'll buy 4 new batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks