• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ARB install in the rear axle

shannondeese

I've had this ARB air locker sitting around for about a year now and finally have the time to install it. I've taken a few pictures and will take more as I get it installed and working. The ARB uses 90 PSI with a 12volt solenoid. I am not going use the solenoid and instead use an air actuated transfer case engagement lever. I'd rather not have anything electric that can fail. I am going to use 3/8 air brake tubing for all the connections. It's lighter than the copper tubing and I have a bunch of extra on hand.

Day 1. Removed the carrier and bearings. It took a 50 ton press to get the bearings off the old carrier and put on the new ARB. It stopped the 20 ton press like I was trying to press a sold chunk of steel. So we set up the big boy and went to work.
To get the ARB to fit in the case you will need to clearance the case on one side. I took just under 1/4 inch of material out to get the ARB to rotate freely with out touching the case. The instructions say nothing about this.
Once it was sitting in the case I measured a few times and marked where I wanted the air line to go through. ARB recommends a spot but it's too close to the bearing mount in my opinion. Of course my 1/4 NPT tap is at my Dads so I can't get to hard mounting the air line today.
Setting the bearing preload is easy. The new carrier position is a little off center on the bull gear but still has full contact between both gears.

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
i'm jealous.....
a buddy is now on his second locker...first the 2nd axle, now the front. His goal is lockers on all 3 axles....

thanks for sharing!

Ford Mechanic

That's cool, it uses screw in adjusters to shim the gear side to side like the old Ford 9 in. did. Any pics of the loose locker before the install? Was it a new carrier, is that why you had to gring on the housing?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i'm jealous.....
a buddy is now on his second locker...first the 2nd axle, now the front. His goal is lockers on all 3 axles....

thanks for sharing!
there should be plenty of original air locking axles available in norway area, since you are relatively close i would check it out.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would like to see how the ARB locks. any pics of the internals? the original M621 rockwells, which i have 3 of in my truck, lock one axle to the carrier, rendering the diff gears locked. they also have larger axle shafts. with stock shafts you will be able to twist a shaft off if the traction is good.

shannondeese

Eventually "read Long time from now" I am going to upgrade to the Ouverson alloy axles. But for now the stock axles will due, especially since I am not going to be doing anything crazy with the Deuce. I just wanted a little better traction off road. And only when I need it. I've been fine without it for the last 5 years.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shannon, I chuckled when I read the title, had an immediate thought about the locker switch being plastic and requiring electrical relays and wiring, then reading your first paragraph eliminated my ability to suggest a solution!

Perhaps you could build a custom bracket under the dash for multiple air switches (orienting them for a vertical throw) stacked like hydraulic valves. After all, you will probably add more air shift features after this, right?

Cheers,

Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps you could build a custom bracket under the dash for multiple air switches (orienting them for a vertical throw) stacked like hydraulic valves. After all, you will probably add more air shift features after this, right?

Cheers,

Rick
The Norway trucks had this. Somewhere in the vast land of Steel Soldiers there are pics of it. There was a gang of 3 air switches (air shift levers) in a single under dash mount. One controlled locking the transfer case, one controlled the front air locker and the 3rd controlled locking both rear air lockers.

shannondeese

I hadn't thought of mounting them vertical. I was going to make a mount so I could stack them one under the other. I intend to lock the front too with an ARB. I like the idea of throwing the switch vertical though more. Now I have to go back to the drawing board. Thanks for the idea. I'll post a few pics once I get a set built.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The Norway trucks had this. Somewhere in the vast land of Steel Soldiers there are pics of it. There was a gang of 3 air switches (air shift levers) in a single under dash mount. One controlled locking the transfer case, one controlled the front air locker and the 3rd controlled locking both rear air lockers.
like this

Attachments

shannondeese

Today a lot got done. First I removed the back axle. I had to use the cherry picker mounted in the bed to pull out the carrier. My floor cherry picker is still at Dads. This having tools at two locations is starting to get old. Once the old carrier was out I had to scrape for what seems like forever to get the old gasket off. Once it was all cleaned up my son helped me drop in the spare carrier with the ARB installed in it. We slid the axle back under the truck and used a floor jack on one side and the in bed cherry picker to pick the axle up and put the u-bolts in. It took a solid 8 hours of work today to get it installed and setting on the tires.

Attachments

shannondeese

Done

Today I sat down and looked at my options. I decided to modify my original plan. I went with the ARB solenoid and switch for activation. I plumbed it off of the under dash air fitting. I put a second switch in the dash so I have to turn it on first to send power to the ARB switch then turn on the ARB switch to power up the solenoid.
After it was all installed and leak checked I took the Deuce out to see how well it worked. I crossed up the Deuce so the drivers back tire was in the air and spinning freely. No forward movement without engaging the front axle. I hit the brakes to stop the axle spinning. Then I turned on the ARB. Eased out the clutch and drove right out. It was pretty nice. No tire spinning no dirt flying just forward movement.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks