• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red River Army Depot (RRAD) rebuild??

dogtags

Some of the M939 series trucks coming through GL say that they were rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot (RRAD). What all is involved in a rebuild?

~Robert

wsucougarx

From a rebuild standpoint, the M939 are not actually rebuilt. I sent for a complete description of the actual recondition process and wasn't too impressed by what they do. To use the term rebuild couldn't be farther from the truth.

sandcobra164

I'd be interested as well. I attended MRAP University there in 2010 and saw some of the M939 trucks being rebuilt. My first thoughts were, "why in the world are they rebuilding those, the FMTV is well established at this point". Well, I saw trucks stripped just about to the frame rails and it looked like a pretty thorough go through. I'd be interested in any literature they provided you wsucougarx. I saw old motors torn to pieces, both NHC 250's and 8.3 6CTA's. I think the only thing that wasn't rebuilt were the axles. I did see them install ABS on non-ABS trucks and I believe they swapped brake shoes for new and cleaned out the spindles and installed new bearings. They also did a test drive on each truck around the base and fixed any issues they found before they went to get a new paint job. A huge waste of money in my opinion from a Government standpoint but maybe some of us can reap the benefits. I do plan on buying a RRAD truck one day this year. Just waiting on that bonus check to come through for signing on for 6 more!! S7301736.jpgS7301737.jpgS7301738.jpgS7301747.jpgS7301746.jpgS7301748.jpg

FUBIJAR

I'd be interested as well. I attended MRAP University there in 2010 and saw some of the M939 trucks being rebuilt. My first thoughts were, "why in the world are they rebuilding those, the FMTV is well established at this point". Well, I saw trucks stripped just about to the frame rails and it looked like a pretty thorough go through. I'd be interested in any literature they provided you wsucougarx. I saw old motors torn to pieces, both NHC 250's and 8.3 6CTA's. I think the only thing that wasn't rebuilt were the axles. I did see them install ABS on non-ABS trucks and I believe they swapped brake shoes for new and cleaned out the spindles and installed new bearings. They also did a test drive on each truck around the base and fixed any issues they found before they went to get a new paint job. A huge waste of money in my opinion from a Government standpoint but maybe some of us can reap the benefits. I do plan on buying a RRAD truck one day this year. Just waiting on that bonus check to come through for signing on for 6 more!! View attachment 417842View attachment 417844View attachment 417845View attachment 417848View attachment 417847View attachment 417849

Should have made the truck part of the re-up package. lol

bchauvette

The S.E.E. has a R.R.A.D label dated 2006. with a serial number. Where can I get the details on what exactly was done? There is no way the fuel system could have gone that bad in 7 years. All the rubber boots on the tie rods and torque tubes are very badly rotted. There is body damage to the left side. Under what circumstance do they not repair damaged vehicles? I would bet a large sum of money the back hoe was never greased since the rebuild. fittings still had paint protect caps. Oil in atrocious condition. Hydraulic oil 5 gallons low. I am not complaining. Just would like to get the history. All indications show it was rebuild and never used. But the vehicle shows a lot of signs of very poor "Ready State" maintenance.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The S.E.E. has a R.R.A.D label dated 2006. with a serial number. Where can I get the details on what exactly was done? There is no way the fuel system could have gone that bad in 7 years. All the rubber boots on the tie rods and torque tubes are very badly rotted. There is body damage to the left side. Under what circumstance do they not repair damaged vehicles? I would bet a large sum of money the back hoe was never greased since the rebuild. fittings still had paint protect caps. Oil in atrocious condition. Hydraulic oil 5 gallons low. I am not complaining. Just would like to get the history. All indications show it was rebuild and never used. But the vehicle shows a lot of signs of very poor "Ready State" maintenance.
So your saying it was never used after it was "rebuilt" ?

7 years is plenty of time for the fuel system and rubber parts to go bad , especially if left sitting .

deuceman51

As a former full time military mechanic I can tell you that RR doesn't do a lot more than repaint the trucks and maybe replace a few components. We routinely had 8.3 cummins powered trucks with broken exhaust manifolds that had just came from "rebuild". Meaning that about 3 or 4 of the exh. manifold ears were broken off on the motor. Many didn't run very well, many had rotten lines. The "new" carc paint often peeled right off down to rusty metal underneath. They definately didn't do much prep work when they painted the trucks and often painted over bad fuel lines and leaking components. We also had many with door issues and even gauges that didn't work. These were fresh from the depot also. I would say that the unit that received the M931 tractors, usually had about 40% down at any given time. As fast as we could fix them and get it back to the unit, another issue would pop up. I asked a guy one time at a military school I went to why their stuff was so bad. He just told me "it's like an assembly line" if they are out of a certain part, they can't stop the line and wait for it. They just push it out the door and figure the receiving unit can either install a kit or fix some of the issues. Makes sense from a production point, but probably not the best idea for quality. We have had many HMMWV's shipped without 3 point belts because they had run out of the kits at rebuild depot and they shipped them anyhow. They are still a good truck, and for what they sell for they are a fraction of what a truck like that would cost to build today, so definately still worth the money. Don't assume your truck is brand new with every gasket, seal, and component replaced with new just because it says it was "rebuilt"! As always, do your PMCS and take the time to check your new purchase out and it will give you many good years of service.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RRAD is hit/miss.

In my truck, the passenger seat cushion was replaced and like brand new while the driver's seat was torn to #%(&.

They replaced all the rubber under the hood, even leaving the parts tag on some of them, but then kept the old ether fuel pressure sensor (which was leaking).

They painted right over EVERYTHING, and was flaking off everywhere, despite it only being about 150 miles on truck since rebuild.

Engine was rebuilt.

New tires all the way around.

Brand new Hawker AGM 6TLs. Brand new battery cables - that half of the connectors weren't crimped on properly. I was getting an intermittent no start, and in wiggling the battery cables, the wire pulled right out of the terminal - hadn't even been crimpled. They shoved the wire in there and heat shrunk it.. Not even sure how it lasted as long as it did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks