• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our "new" M882

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I was going to call it a Dustbuster (our inside joke on Traildusters) but refrained. I just love the rim/hubcap combo.

sherifflittle

thanks but i didnt mean to hijack this thread so what kind of shape is the body in don? mine has some frame rot and major cab rot but interior is immaculate.

michigandon

Frame seems to be good and solid, sheetmetal is all in very good condition with the exception of the rockers. A few minor dents here and there but I'm not going to worry about them.

Found out why she won't run right this evening. Turns out the pushrod went all the way through the #7 intake rocker.:eek: Not sure yet if its a stuck valve, poor metallurgy in the rocker arm itself, or both.

sherifflittle

any idea when ya wanna get this bumper? i texted ya a pic of front and back. mine runs great,has nearly perfect/uncut wiring but is a rust bucket lol

michigandon

Bought the bumper from Scott today...as well as the rest of the truck that it was originally attached to. :oops: Will deinfitely be able to make one good truck out of them both, with plenty of extras left over.

While I am getting what is supposed to be another good running 318, we are still planning on reringing the engine that we already have on hand. Pulled the pistons out of it today and discovered two broken compression rings. :-o The cylinders had little to no ridge at the top, and it looks like they will deglaze nicley.

michigandon

Any updates?
Two of the cylinders failed to clean up as nicely as we hoped. Not only that, one of the pistons ended up with a piece broken off the ring land when we went to take the rings off, so we made the Executive Decision to load the short block up and take it to a local machine shop to have it done "right". The cylinder heads are at CHS and are ready for me to pick up.

Attachments

michigandon

Decided to address the braking issue whilst waiting on the engine parts. Thought for sure we would find blown wheel cylinders and shot bearings in the rear, but things actually did not look too bad back there! Turns out the master cylinder was leaking in the rear where the actuator rod depresses the piston. We decided to replace the shoes and wheel cylinders anyway. Repacked the rear wheel bearings with new seals. When it came home, the rollback driver complained about it leaking gas when he loaded it up. Discovered that the tank had a huge split in the top. Fortunately the parts truck yielded a good usable one.

Also in the process of replacing all rubber brake hoses and most of the steel brake lines. At least the ones where the fitting refused to turn and twisted off due to rust.

Being able to go is optional. Being able to stop is mandatory.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks