• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy looking at importing an APC

m4sherman

Alright I am going to try and keep this very short so here we go. about two years ago I started saving up to buy a APC but after alot of reseach I found that the one I want isnt really available in the United states in my price range (around 20-30k) and decided that I want to look into importing a russian BDRM or a BMP but I dont even know where to begin.

So In short I guess I am asking if anyone has inported a piece of armor around this size. I also want to know the rough cost and really where to start

kcimb

There's an ot65 for sale up north. Looked real nice.

Spare are a pain. Look at my threads for info on how to do things and how not to do them.

Find a vehicle
buy
start paperwork
arrange shipping

Kinda how it goes

m4sherman

couldnt find the one you were talking about but I did find your thread. Just out of curiosity how much do you have tied up in yours? Have you had a chance to take it in the water or off road? I have around 600 acres to play on but about half is under water so I just want to know what your think of it.

m4sherman

I am hoping that I can get on for under $25k because if It runs any higher I might as well keep saving for something heavier Like a BMP :p Right now I am thinking I can get one imported for around 20-25k depending on condition and such but I havent really found a good reputable place overseas to buy it at

kcimb

I am hoping that I can get on for under $25k because if It runs any higher I might as well keep saving for something heavier Like a BMP :p Right now I am thinking I can get one imported for around 20-25k depending on condition and such but I havent really found a good reputable place overseas to buy it at
Stick with wheeled for your first. Spend the extra money up front to get a nice unit. Wait until you get more experience before dealing with tracks. My Brdm has been a pita so far and it's only got four wheels and can still be easy transported without over width.

m4sherman

alright so I will stick with the BDRM. Now do you know if one will fit in a container and if not do you think you could haul it on a 2 ton truck with a goose neck?

kcimb

alright so I will stick with the BDRM. Now do you know if one will fit in a container and if not do you think you could haul it on a 2 ton truck with a goose neck?
I'd just buy Earl Tucker's for 35 if he still has it. It apparently (i'm told) is in good shape. That will save you a lot of money. I should have spent the extra 20k and I'd be tooling around in my BRDM now vs waiting for it to get back from the restorer.

I spent 19k for mine then another 20k to get it running...and we still have more problems to fix.

m4sherman

Alright well I am a machinest by trade (work in a engine and tranny shop) and I have a whole entire automotive Restoration shop to my disposal (my grandfather has a hll of a car collection) plus a **** ton of heavy farm and construction equipment. so restoration would be a little easier for me than most so I will probably try to import as it will be something fun to do....(in a twisted way)

Plus he probably wont have it when I finally get back state side

any how my biggest hurtle at the moment is finding a reputable company to go through that will either A:list their prices or B:respond to any emails.

Any who right now I am looking at either a BDRM or maybe a OT-64 because they should both fit on a Platform container which would make shipping way easier but the ot is about 200 MM to wide o_O

m4sherman

Yea the more I have dove into these the more I see that my best bet would be a BDRM or a FUG but I still have a little while before I get committed. anyways I will be following yours in the mean time.

m4sherman

well I finally got a quote shipped to the states (cleaned and partial restore) and it is 9.5k for the BRDM and 4K for shipping so that sets me back about three more months

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks