• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

picking up from Hooks, TX couple questions

treysoucie

I don't have a copy of my registration receipt. Can i just bring in my title? or just walk to the truck? oh and does my passenger need to bring his ID and go through a background check also?

ARYankee

You will need proof of insurance and registration of the vehicle that you are driving onto base in. You won't be able to walk to the truck because it will be a fairly long walk. Yes your passenger needs their ID as well. Get there about an hour and a half early. They will need your info so they can do a quick background check on you and whoever else is with you.

treysoucie

Wonder where i can dig up a copy of my registration paperwork from.. you would think that the sticker on the window and a title would be good enough. What is with the background check? I just went through one to get the EUC

Last edited:

ntxcop

Everyone entering the base will need ID and will have to go through the "background" process. If you have a federal ID of some sort (Military ID Card or Federal Employee ID Card) or Law Enforcement ID Card, those will get you past the "background check". If you are active law enforcement of any kind, they will actually federalize you upon entrance and allow you to carry your weapon. They get your cell phone number and tell you they will call if they need your assistance with an issue on the base. If you are not law enforcement, DON'T EVEN THINK about carrying a firearm onto the base. You need an insurance card for your vehicle, and I think they will take either the registration receipt or the title either one. You won't be walking to the GL location, its several miles from the entrance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried using my title at an AFB and was turned away. They wanted a registration. Had to call my local tag agent and have them fax a copy. YMMV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hooks will send you packing without the registration paperwork. Happened to me, had to go to the Bowie County Courhouse 5 miles away to get a copy. Get a copy at your local tax office before you go. It is about 3 miles from the commercial gate to DRMO (GL).

Tornadogt

I know I am a little late to the thread but I vote for "Walk to the Truck Option"... by the way a Texas CHL does not count as ID, learned that one the hard way on a trip to Hooks. You need the registration because they will Not go look at the stickers on your car.. On the brighter side after you pass through the Background check they will give you a little card that is good for a year and get you in and out the door in minutes the next time..

Disclaimer: they will not let you walk and it is close to 5 miles to get to the GL lot. It was an eye opener the first time I went to Hooks...
And they are Very Strict NO PHOTOS or Cameras including Camera Phones on base....

Last edited:

86m1028

Ive been there more than 60 times. I have never had to show registration. Only had to write my license plate # down. No way your walking to G.L. Everyone entering the base will need an I.D. You will need a copy of your ins card. They have a short quick background check (15- 30 min). If you plan on going back they have a card that's good for a year. That's about it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if they will bother me with a couple cans of diesel in the bed of the f250? Thanks for the heads up.
They should let you pass if you explain you are picking up a vehicle from DRMO. They do have the right to deny you of course. Source: Picked up my trucks last Friday without issue.

treysoucie

I can get a driver to haul it home for me but I would have to meet him in Texarkana so getting it off the base buy myself (without a CDL) would be necessary

treysoucie

Last question! I'm taking a friends truck instead of mine. If I have all the paperwork (insurance, registration yada yada) will they let me in? Does it have to be "my" vehicle or does it just have to be a registered vehicle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks