Page 386 of 442 FirstFirst ... 286 336 376 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 396 436 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 4415

Thread: FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the good advice and I will do what you suggested. In the meantime what grade of motor oil do I use?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 857 Posts

I'd ditch the 10W and put AW 32 in there, too.

General
    Thanks

I haven't done it with the SEE yet but at my old job we used "slow dynamite" on occasion. Far less dramatic but we had old buildings with papermachines in them and the staff was paranoid about regular blasting. Just drill the holes (lots of them) mix up the powder with water, pour it in and go home. No need to cover or worry about licenses, or foundations cracking as there is no explosion. In the AM the rocks would usually be split. It didn't work as well with old concrete with rebar but usually was good enough. Far less dramatic but a lot more accessible, no license needed. An adjacent town is mostly in granite and they have been replacing water and sewer lines as when they original went in they put them in shallow and let folks run a tap all winter. They had a blasting contractor one year but the hassle of having to pre inspect all the nearby homes and the inevitable claim's, they switched over to big ramhoe and slow dynamite for a good ten years.

I do miss working utility construction years ago, they did all their own blasting on occasion and setting off a couple of hundred of feet of trench with timed caps was impressive. They just used sticks no powder.

The Gold Rush TV show used some of this product last season. They acted like its a miracle. I was surprised they drilled so deep. Up in New England most farmers split their own granite with feathers and wedges and they usually only drill in about 6".
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I do miss working utility construction years ago, they did all their own blasting on occasion and setting off a couple of hundred of feet of trench with timed caps was impressive. They just used sticks no powder.
    The closest I get to that kind of fun is placing Tannerite by prairie dog holes. And even that is a rare occurrence.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

msharky007 (05-13-2018)

Thanks

Hello All here, Hope this is in the right section. Bought a flu419 of gov deals last dec 2017. Got it licensed in PA. Just fixing the alternator. Thanks for this great site and all the TM info.

My other toy is Mercedes G240D from the Danish army.

Later J

General
    Thanks

Welcome, I know its painful and there is lot of extraneous posts but its worth skimming this thread from start to end. Probably worth having a notebook and writing the post number for posts of interest as there definitely are common bugs on SEEs. If you haven't done so go in the miscellaneous technical manuals forum and download the student guide and the technical bulletins. If you have access to plotter download the electrical diagram and plot it out or have it plotted at Staples. The ones for sale on Ebay are laminated so a lot longer lasting.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    I'd ditch the 10W and put AW 32 in there, too.
    Yes, either what you use for the engine or in the hydraulic tanks. No need to stock another fluid.
    1990 FLU419 SEE
    1986 M1009, 6.2L engine, 700R4/NP241, 4.10:1 14 bolt 8 lug rear, 10 bolt 8 lug front, 4" lift, 34.5" tires
    1993 M998 2-man troop carrier - SOLD
    MEP002A generator
    Gichner Expandable ISO shelter = my machine shop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    The closest I get to that kind of fun is placing Tannerite by prairie dog holes. And even that is a rare occurrence.
    Tannerite's claim to fame is about making a lot of noise with little destructive effect. It's fun on the shooting range or on your own property for giggles but unless you use tons of it (or its cousin ANFO) not very useful as a land clearing and site preparation tool.

Dynamite OTOH, if properly loaded, stemmed, and covered with blast mats or dirt makes little if any noise but does a lot of work per hole drilled as demonstrated here: .
    The crackle you hear are not the dynamite charges but the surface delays; blasting caps in a plastic clip that transfer the signal from row to row with a certain delay. If you cover them with a bit of dirt, the whole blast sounds like a muffled rumble. But look at the amount of rock that has been broken up and turned into an easy to excavate muck pile. Last words on the video after the chuckles: Who's your daddy?...
    Last edited by alpine44; 05-14-2018 at 14:55.
    1990 FLU419 SEE
    1986 M1009, 6.2L engine, 700R4/NP241, 4.10:1 14 bolt 8 lug rear, 10 bolt 8 lug front, 4" lift, 34.5" tires
    MEP002A generator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I haven't done it with the SEE yet but at my old job we used "slow dynamite" on occasion. Far less dramatic but we had old buildings with papermachines in them and the staff was paranoid about regular blasting. Just drill the holes (lots of them) mix up the powder with water, pour it in and go home. No need to cover or worry about licenses, or foundations cracking as there is no explosion. In the AM the rocks would usually be split. It didn't work as well with old concrete with rebar but usually was good enough. Far less dramatic but a lot more accessible, no license needed. An adjacent town is mostly in granite and they have been replacing water and sewer lines as when they original went in they put them in shallow and let folks run a tap all winter. They had a blasting contractor one year but the hassle of having to pre inspect all the nearby homes and the inevitable claim's, they switched over to big ramhoe and slow dynamite for a good ten years.

The Gold Rush TV show used some of this product last season. They acted like its a miracle. I was surprised they drilled so deep. Up in New England most farmers split their own granite with feathers and wedges and they usually only drill in about 6".
    The expanding mortar mixes like Dexpan will work very well with the drill bit diameters and lengths of the FLU419 tools for rock breaking or removal of old foundations.

I would have gone that route for the granite removal if it was not certain that I would also have to deal with some massive tree stumps that were beyond the capabilities of the backhoe. Now I drill a 2 feet deep hole in the middle of a stump with a wood auger mounted on a high torque hydraulic motor, put between half and one stick of Dynomax in it, fill the top with sand/gravel and set it off. That will split the stump into several pieces and will also loosen the roots extending into the ground. The remnants are then easily extracted with the hoe and put on the burn pile.

The FLU419, like any piece of construction machinery has limits of what it can safely handle. But there are often ways to get bigger jobs done without breaking the machine.
    Last edited by alpine44; 05-14-2018 at 14:59.
    1990 FLU419 SEE
    MEP002A generator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
    Tannerite's claim to fame is about making a lot of noise with little destructive effect. It's fun on the shooting range or on your own property for giggles but unless you use tons of it (or its cousin ANFO) not very useful as a land clearing and site preparation tool.
    In my case it works just fine, the objective being to kill prairie dogs in a different way than simply shooting them.
    The disadvantage is that it takes extra work, and waiting time, but the result is more spectacular than a simple bullet.

Page 386 of 442 FirstFirst ... 286 336 376 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 396 436 ... LastLast