Page 431 of 442 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 441 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,310 of 4415

Thread: FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Thank you Migginsbros. Happy Easter.

Your pictures and the dimensions are very helpful. The third picture answers a question I had about which position to attach on the drivers side. Currently I am attached in the middle position, but I think changing that will not resolve my basic problem. The dimensions you gave me should help.

The lever on the injection pump is keyed and should only go on one way. The lever rotated on the spline is the only variable that could account for the difference though.

1 fuelInjectorCover.jpg
    I have been thinking about trying to pull that access cover off to see if I can figure out what is wrong, but I don't want to tip the cab, it is a very tight access with out the cab tilted and other than the issue with the throttle going over center everything is running so well I hate to mess with it. I am still tempted to move the point where the attaches on top toward the front of the engine, which would be easy to do if not the ideal solution and would solve the problem provided the lever on the injection pump does not slip on the spline any more.
    Last edited by rtrask; 04-22-2019 at 09:04.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rtrask For This Useful Post:

Migginsbros (04-22-2019)

General
    Thanks

I think there are a couple of other issues that haven't been mentioned. Some of them conspire to make things even more difficult. If you look at various parts suppliers they sell accelerator pedals and accelerator pedal bushings, I don't think they do it for the chuckles, I think they are just a popular part. The accelerator is in a dirty location and dirt can and will get in the bushing and eat the bushing and the shaft that goes through the tunnel. Remember the throttle is not attached to anything, it just engages a roller against a curved ramp that actually is tied to the linkage. The actual point of contact is cantilevered out on the shaft from the bushing quite a bit so the throttle bushing gets a lot of side to side force. There is another issue that given the fairly low horsepower of the engine I expect most folks on occasion mash the pedal to the floor which can stress the shaft if the rods are not adjusted correctly. The tunnel has an access panel that I expect many folks have removed to access the starter. I expect more than few folks have snapped off bolts or just plain skipped bolts to reinstall this panel. This makes the drivers side tunnel a bit "floppy". Add up all these and the accelerator shaft tends to deflect downwards from horizontal roughly in the opposite direction of the roller. When I did my original adjustment I didn't realize that was the issue so I lengthened the rod from the Injector pump to the pivot on the cross shaft that goes through the block. I patted myself on the back and it worked for awhile until it deflected further and eventually I was stranded as the roller didn't line up with the curved pad.

At that point I made sure all the bolts were installed on the access panel and replaced the accelerator pedal and bushing and got it horizontal. Once I did that the roller lined up with the curved plate and I adjusted everything from the drivers side. Everything works now except that when I go to shut it off it can take one or two tries. I expect if I went back and reset the rod on the right side back to where it should be I could probably adjust things better.

Note the shaft pivots are snap on but they also have thin wire clips that are a bear to get off and put on. They are poorly identified on the drawings and to date I haven't been able to get one of them back on due to the tight clearance and big hands. If the cab was up I would have better access and would make sure to replace all these as I expect someday when I least expect it the shaft will pop off the pivot.

A general observation is that the military must not have trained their techs very well on these throttle linkages as many SEES seem to have the same issue of a screwed up throttle linkage. Reminds me of my old Alfa Romeo with mechanical fuel injection. There was a nest of adjustable linkages and a brief case of special tools and containers of mercury to balance the drafts and adjust the linkages. if it didn't go into the dealer yearly it was noticeable that it just didn't run as well as fresh from an injection tune up.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-22-2019 at 16:01.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peakbagger For This Useful Post:

rtrask (04-23-2019)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

On a lighter note, I was wondering if any of your 419s have honorable war wounds (rat attacks don't count). I thought initially that mine may have taken a 50 cal in the bucket, but on closer inspection I decided it was some other violent encounter.

20181215_121452.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 856 Posts

Speaking of lighter notes, I must point out that I had a very nice visit with General Hood and his lovely wife last week.
    I can highly recommend that you stop by - especially if it's not during tornado season.

Oh, and don't park where I did. I'll have to send him about a cubic yard of dirt to help fill in the rut I made.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinsandpitons For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (05-11-2019), lurkMcGurk (05-10-2019), Migginsbros (05-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsandpitons View Post
    Did it look like this?
    The rut, yes, except it was much longer. Also, it was in an area of previously flawless lawn.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The FLU farm For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (05-06-2019), Migginsbros (05-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 647 Posts

vlcsnap-2018-05-08-16h32m40s237.png
    in the early days......... We donīt know about lawn shaping

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Migginsbros For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (05-11-2019), The FLU farm (05-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Migginsbros View Post
    in the early days......... We donīt know about lawn shaping
    That was the wrong Thing to go mudding in. No pun intended.

Thanks

While I have no picture of the rut I created in General Hood's formerly perfect lawn, this photo of the trailer's tire tells the sad story.DSCN2642[1].jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 10,158 Times in 5,954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    Speaking of lighter notes, I must point out that I had a very nice visit with General Hood and his lovely wife last week.

Oh, and don't park where I did. I'll have to send him about a cubic yard of dirt to help fill in the rut I made.
    Quote Originally Posted by The FLU farm View Post
    The rut, yes, except it was much longer. Also, it was in an area of previously flawless lawn.
    Ouch!

Well. He'll sure remember you from now on, won't he?!

Oh, gosh.

Looking for a silver lining, now that the digging is done, maybe General Hood could make that area into a little pond feature.

- You know, lemonades from lemons

- Before you ship him that dirt, maybe you should check with him
    Last edited by Another Ahab; 05-11-2019 at 20:25.
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

Page 431 of 442 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 441 ... LastLast