• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 Federal dump truck

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a chance to purchase a 1943 Federal dump truck in what I think is in restorable condition (model 2-G 2 1/2 ton). I wonder if any one knows the ins & outs of this truck. I am worried that parts may be hard if not imposable to find, making this a costly restoration vs. finished value. Any comments will be welcome before I take the plunge.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't do that. You can't mention a really cool find and not post photos.
Please correct your error immediately!!!

(Insert that big, huge " This thread is worthless without pics" icon here)

Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would buy it. The engine is the popular Hercules JXD, lots of parts around for those. Have the harnesses duplicated by Vintage Wiring of Maine. All the brake components can be stainless relined if shot. A nice handy good looking truck.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me a break, I'm still new at this. Ill try to snap a few photos this week if the snow doesn't cover it up first. Besides I don't own it yet and I don't want the price to rise if I show to much interest. The owner says it runs. I saw a lawnmower gas can hooked to the carb with a rubber hose. in the back is a new gas tank and extra wheels. the sheet metal is fare the box and the frame is solid, I'll keep you posted.

Doug

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the welcome. The green bug started with a "chance" purchase of a 86 M-1009. I bought it back in 2011 for a beater and daily driver but went too far with it to use as a beater. Added a few extras including antennas, mounts with brush guards, jerry can, body work and plenty of lusterless Marine green paint. Of course I had to purchase a M-101 A2 from Ft Drum to tow behind it. And just recently picked up a MEP-2 mounted in a 1952 M100 trailer at a county surplus auction. The Federal dump truck caught my eye the other day when I saw this big white star on the door of this olive drab blob when I was driving by at 60mph. of course my binders got a good work out and fortunately no one was behind me at the time.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the link Steve. I researched it last knight and ran across that same photo. That is the same truck but the one I'm looking at is green with a lot of painted duck tape holding the windshield s in place.

Another Ahab

Give me a break, I'm still new at this. Ill try to snap a few photos this week if the snow doesn't cover it up first. Besides I don't own it yet and I don't want the price to rise if I show to much interest. The owner says it runs. I saw a lawnmower gas can hooked to the carb with a rubber hose. in the back is a new gas tank and extra wheels. the sheet metal is fare the box and the frame is solid, I'll keep you posted.

Doug
Did it look something like this?

View attachment 467381

Maybe you don't want that truck that much...

Fort Susquehanna

They are nice trucks, just 35MPH speed. They have a Timken rear and they can be hard to find parts for. They are also a Hydrovac truck- vacuum assisted braking- but that can be dealt with if you are mechanically sound. I spent a few hours of my youth riding in a semi-restored one and if you pick this one up, I can put you in touch with the owner.

Federal also made a Line Maintenance truck on this chassis but I have never seen one before.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are nice trucks, just 35MPH speed. They have a Timken rear and they can be hard to find parts for. They are also a Hydrovac truck- vacuum assisted braking- but that can be dealt with if you are mechanically sound. I spent a few hours of my youth riding in a semi-restored one and if you pick this one up, I can put you in touch with the owner.

Federal also made a Line Maintenance truck on this chassis but I have never seen one before.
I still plan on getting a few photos if they still have it for sale. I haven't been by that way since the beginning of winter and the wife is giving me a little resistance. She wants her new kitchen first but she did say I can paint it green.

Another Ahab

I would buy it. The engine is the popular Hercules JXD, lots of parts around for those. Have the harnesses duplicated by Vintage Wiring of Maine. All the brake components can be stainless relined if shot. A nice handy good looking truck.
Gas, or Diesel?

That a 6 cylinder?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OOPS, meant to say GAS but somehow my fingers typed diesel, this is what happens when you let your fingers do the talken.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks