• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Gear Box

xmiltm998

Mine grenaded!
I have an'85 with a Delphi and no one seems to know anything about. I know a steering gear box should not cost 1800 bucks, that's what Kascar wants. I have taken mine apart, the piston and housing have major scoring so I want to replace the whole thing. anyone have any info on it? I am sure NAPA sells one that is identical but my truck is not in their system lol

DSO_351

Does your truck have a power steering cooler? Early trucks didn't and many gearboxes were replaced. Be careful as the steering gear mounts on the inside of the frame rail. Most Civilian saginaws mount on the outside of the frame rail. From the 34 manual Saginaw 13/16:1.
Part numbers are 12460232, 12339896, 5568534, 26096532, 7845535, 5568235. A remanufacturer in Columbus Ohio http://www.steerandgear.com/ might be an option.
A good resource is the Hummer Net. It has a HMMWV section. common repairs, and crossover parts list.
http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/susp/index0.html

Last edited:

DSO_351

Perhaps you haven't. Early models did not have them. Thats why Power Steering Kits were released recently thru GL. Kit 5705612. Reading the installation instructions Modification Work Order (MWO) 9-2320-280-20-1 it covers M998 Series, serial numbers 1 through 72234. Issued October 1992 thru September 1993 then extended to 1996.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been in the military for 30yrs, owned more HMMWV's then I can count, including one that was an early early 85 first year production, and it had a cooler....I currently have 10 85-93's on the property and all have cooler....sorry, just never seen one with out one. I also have new cooler kits you refer too....if it was an MWO, then every truck in the military has been done till it was incorporated into production. As you know, the cooler mounts to the radiator to 2 captive nuts at the bottom that are 5/16, someone must have known this...as that is where the cooler mounts to....so what came first? The cooler or the captive nuts that exists in the radiator for the cooler to mount too....just sayin

dilvoy

Retrofitted at a later time when they found out that there were temp issues with the Power Steering Fluid on M998's. Slantbacks had them from the beginning probably Ambulances too. That's my guess for what it's worth. The ones that I have had that were very original were USMC trucks.

Last edited:

gem1410

I have an m1026--original with the fold up side mirrors--Airforce---no power steering cooler--my friend from the guard said it is the first one he has seen like that---got the cooler from hummer parts guy--$45--also got the gearbox from the same guy for $225 with no core--

xmiltm998

Sorry been away for awhile. I did not have a P.S. cooler on my truck but I do now. I ended up buying a g.b. from hummer parts guy and it ran me 400 bucks brand new no core needed, I think that is a good deal, note I said brand new not refurb! I flushed everything replaced all rtn lines, new ps pump and added a cooler. I am also going to run Royal Purple syn dex 2 oil to help with the heat. I should have it all back together tomorrow night (depending if I get into the beer or not) and back on the trail this weekend! Thanks for all the input!

Pablo66

My '87 m1038 doesn't have the cooler. I bought the kit, and will be installing it soon. My gearbox is leaking pretty bad. I was going to order new inlet and outlet seals and see if that fixes the problem. I talked to Hummer Parts Guy a while back, and if I remember correctly a new gear box is now $525.00 w/o a core. What are the chances that I'll have to replace the gearbox anyway?
thanks,

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on where it leaking from...99% of the time it's the shaft seal.
problem is, you will have to remove it, fix it, install it and see if that fixes it...I generally just replace the box.
you can get them at local auto part stores....just them them its a 92-99 hummer H1, last time I bought one it was like 225.00 but don't quote me on that.

papakb

Steve, My 1026 came out of Sierra Army Depot without a cooler. I added it right after the kits started to become available.

Kurt

McSpeed

Finding the same as others - the under $250 ones out there...are not out there anymore.

I'm checking with the re-builders now too.

I see new ones are out there at $850 or so a pop...but that's not going to work right now.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was leaking from the input seal. I got a rebuild kit from rock auto for $19. Gates PN 350440.. It's just a Saganaw box like the ones GM used for decades. It came with everything, even bearings. There are instructions online on how to do it. It took me about 3 hours start to finish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks