• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Squids M1008 Plan/Build

Squid in a CUCV

I found a set of new 39.5" TSL Boggers on white steelies... I tossed them on but, ran out of time so the 8" lift and cross-over steering will have to wait until next weekend. I might also toss on a 2" Body lift (I'm not a fan of Body lifts)... Any way, the doors and hood will have a white star in a circle, the gas fill lid will have a white skull-n-cross bones with "DIESEL" under it.

Squid in a CUCV

Picked up some blackout switches for $20. Piece by piece she is coming together. A block away a guy has a lifted silver Short box Chevy with a burgundy dash sitting in the back of his box. I'm going to see if I can get that too. lol

Cucvnut

You forgot hydro assist steering. If your going cross over yo you don't need the steering block for the drivers side.
I would stud the steering knuckle in stead of bolts. WFO sells ARP studs for the 60 knuckle.

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

Between trying to find the motivation and waiting for good weather, I finally made some progress on the truck. I'm still waiting on the new 1-1/2" x 1/4" wall tie-rod kit to arrive. I never realized how shot/worn-out my front suspension/steering was. I installed the ARP studs on the passenger side knuckle only to have them seat too far leaving me with not enough threads for the lock nuts to be effective. So, I ordered up (4) 5.750" ARP studs... these should do the trick. Plans are to complete the truck this week, hopefully have the drive-shafts here and installed by Friday... I'd like to drive this truck to the track to watch the test and tune sessions lol.

Squid in a CUCV

I went to the junkyard and found an 81 Camaro that still had the steering gearbox in it. I pulled the sector shaft and installed it in the 4wd gearbox. With pitman centered the box feels snug, not too tight, not too loose. When the pitman is far left/right it seems to be a little loose but, no more than what the original sector shaft felt. When the weather is good, Not windy, rainy and cold I'll roll the welder over and weld in the frame support/repair plates then toss in the gearbox. I also found some motivation and Installed the steering arm and block... as well as the new TRE's and the 1-1/2" x .250 wall DOM Tierod... She's tight again and looking right.

Squid in a CUCV

Squid, you are some kind of resourceful.

Were you Fleet, or Seabee?
Thanks "Another Ahab". I think it all workout well. I mean, I only paid $8.56 for the sector shaft. It's funny that you ask that because I tried entering the Navy as a Seabee Builder (BU) but, they had a 3 year waiting list... So they paid me $5k to come in as a undesignated fireman recruit, (E-1). Worked with the ship fitted Gas Turbine GE LM2500's and their subsystems and after 2 years I said this is a Hollywood job... BU was still locked up so decided I wanted to become a welder (HT)... and then I seen the machinist (MR) turn parts in a lathe, instantly I was hooked. Long story short, Fleet/Surface Navy, Guided Missile Destroyer (DDG) and Amphibious Navy (LPD)... Taxi for the Marines. ahahaha I was an MR1 (E-6) when I parted ways with the Navy.

Squid in a CUCV

Got the front done. Need to fab a steering damper bracket if the sky clears up. I need to measure for new Driveshafts... After those arrive I'll do a disk brake conversion with Cadi e-brakes. Then I'll put in a stereo and run some wires to the bed so when we go to the drive-in and listen to it while chilling in the bed of the truck.

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

Well, #2 cylinder is shot. There are cracks and pitting in the cylinder, the head has a lot of pitting to boot. Time for that Big Block Chevy. Anybody want/need parts? New glow plugs, installed but not cycled, they are the 60 plugs. Everything works I would post in the for sale but for some reason I don't have that option? Maybe an admin guy could post it. 83 M1008 64,000... ****, I can see the crosshatches clear as day in the cylinders. Everything is for sale, what doesn't get sold is scrap. If you need a cheap part to get you up and running... pay for shipping and put a little gas in my ride and its yours.

Well, #2 cylinder is shot. There are cracks and pitting in the cylinder, the head has a lot of pitting to boot. Time for that Big Block Chevy. Anybody want/need parts? New glow plugs, installed but not cycled, they are the 60 plugs. Everything works I would post in the for sale but for some reason I don't have that option? Maybe an admin guy could post it. 83 M1008 64,000... ****, I can see the crosshatches clear as day in the cylinders. Everything is for sale, what doesn't get sold is scrap. If you need a cheap part to get you up and running... pay for shipping and put a little gas in my ride and its yours.
Sorry to hear about the engine problems. I'd sure be interested in the glow plugs! Truck is looking good too

Brett

Squid in a CUCV

Picked up a good running 454, 4 bolt mains, steel crank... tossed on my 750 race carb, took the guys word went to fire it up and shattered my new starter. Lesson learned, timed it, tossed in a new starter and she fired right up. I basically paid $450 for the BB. I do have questions...

I've read a lot of conflicting posts about whether or not I can use the 6.2 torque converter. One guy said he's running it and it's actually a decent match for his 454... Any experiences?.
I know I can use the 12v wire for IP for the BAT terminal on the dist.
Mechanical fuel pump for the 6.2, Does it run the typical pressures found on SBC and BBC?
TH400, do I have to change out the module in the tranny so that I don't blow the front seal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks