• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

rickf

WHAT are you doing on the computer in the middle of the night while on vacation in New Yuck?!!!!! Don't worry, Zout will take care of it till you return.

zout

Zout will always have PB's 20 covered no matter what.

Today Sunday - much cooler and some parts in hand to start another advance attach against the downed K18 to bring it back to life.

My UPS gals calls after last night and asks if I have any more Figs cause she really likes them - I said DO YOU HAVE MY RETURN SPRINGS TO DELIVER - when I get my springs you get more figs (but orders from the Godfather to wear her UPS fig outfit) and she giggles.

Master cylinder installed and all the steer axle lines hooked up - only Silicone brake fluid in the Master Cylinder but not pressured into the lines till I get them ^^^^^^^^ springs.

Tore the entire old wiring harness out of the old girl like I was ripping out a dead heart - started laying out the new wire harness and looking for firewall grommets in my stash. Also got my neighbors BBQ grill fixed and returned to him while I was screwing off with brake like stuff - He wanted to know If I bought him a new one when I returned it - Cost was 2 beers and he paid in full plus couple hrs on his back porch having a good time and looking at his neighbors sprinkler system to fix that for him (they put it in yrs ago and it has never ran - such childs play) - can have it operational in a couple hours and I see MORE beers in my future.

Here are some pics fellas.20150802_081615_HDR.jpg20150802_083916.jpg20150802_084127.jpg20150802_084136.jpg20150802_093320.jpg20150802_095249.jpg20150802_115307.jpg20150802_115313.jpg

zout

Dog gone straight it is - gotta be at lease 20 visits in that there heap o stuff. Be sure to order each one and make sure each one fits as I get it also.

Playing with the wire harness in the back room with the AC on20150803_152342.jpg till I hear Debs van pull up and then it will disappear. Does that look a little better PB. Walk in the park.

zout

I highly doubt it sits till done hot or cold without a day i do not work on something for it......just ask the mass's here if they think i would let it just sit. Loosing bet.

rickf

About that new avatar............................................................................................................................... :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Whiterabbit

LOL! My wife draws the line on working on projects at rebuilding transmissions on the dinning room table. I did get away with baking painted parts in the oven though it took hrs to ventilate the house before she came home. CLOSE CALL! :whistle:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Back in the day when times were tight I rebuilt a Ford truck 300 6cyl engine in the dining room of my quarters on Fort Benning. Took about 2 months because I had to buy parts etc., as the money came in.aua I stuffed the engine back in the truck about midnight one night so the housing Nazis wouldn't know I was working on a vehicle in my parking space.:D

zout

Saturday is going to be a busy day - should have the rear all tore down and chase parts and hopefully get a good deal of it from the Master Cylinder to center differential extension rubber line in along with the line to both wheel cylinders - IF I can get the rebuild kits from Napa locally if they look good to rebuild that is what I plan on doing.

Might even see most of the harness laid out in the truck and some parts of it rubber harness hanger looped in.

Now that Deb read the last two posts above about not getting away with it in the house - she gave me a whooping for having to tolerate it all these years (of course baking ceramic coating on headers in her oven did it a long time ago).
Double boiling stuff in her pans with Evap O Rust was cool. I have more hand cleaner products under the main sink in the house than she has cleaning supplies - she can use the bathroom sink.
Running my Harlies in the house for the night was the norm as well - funnier when she did not wake up in the morning when I had to leave for work and crank em up in the house.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
After the storms we had here last night I'm wondering if the poor ole truck may have been washed down to the Yeller river below your house??

It's almost more than I can stand to see the ole girl this close to running/driving/stopping.:papabear:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like Zout almost has it done! I can't wait to see it run.

My wife always gets upset when I run parts through the dishwasher. Works great as long as none are aluminum. She gets even more upset when I run black powder revolver parts through the dishwasher. Stinks up the whole house.

zout

Won.t wash down. I have it chained to Debs van.

YUPPER....next couple weeks ya better not blink because some great stuff is going to be coming at you.

There is "detail" work that will need to be done along the way so keep looking close.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wanted to share a pic Zout sent me of the rear brakes. Imagine working for two hours in 131 degree heat to get one brake drum off because there were some broken components clinging on to stuff!!

Anyhoo...both drums are off now and they and the shoes look to be re-usable.:D

The wheel cylinders are leaking and look yucky so they will be repaired or replaced at Zout's discretion.

I may need to call the local "BUD" distributor and have them drop off a few cases of "sippy pops" so the Commander does not melt away on us.:-(

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Before I get to work pictures I just have to say this - not saying it will drive me more crazy.

It does not matter who did this and when they did it - THEY WERE AN IDIOT plain and simple.
I have seen this type of so called "work by a mechanic" than I have seen it done the proper way OR even taken steps to replace them - because they are ignorant of what these do in reality.

SPINDLE NUTS SET WHEEL END PLAY & BEARING END PLAY IN THE HUB.
Hammer and chisel these off means they are not going back on correctly because they do NOT have the correct tool in the first place.
Second these are only machined threads (as used on lots of equipment) and are not within a specific tolerance for torquing end play in the wheel WITH USE OF A DIAL INDICATOR.
These surfaces are run of the mill and are not perfect so they have to be as flat and smooth as possible.

The only product I have ever seen that is nearly perfect in use after properly torgue is the Stemco Pro Nut product - it is a machined spindle nut and simple to use.

Yes - I see this hammer and chisel crap still today - If I ever saw a mechanic working for me do this 20150807_172157.jpg - he would no longer be working for me. 20150807_172147.jpg20150807_172150.jpg20150807_172154.jpg20150807_172154.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks