• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass top

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife was from Houma and I worked for Cenac towing. My brother inlaw is still there. Micky Watson and his brothers had an FBO there at the airport. Sorry to hijack.

I allways wanted to make an American Express commerical that I never leave Houma with out it.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem with a hard top is all the trouble to take it off when you show off. I love my soft tops off and windshield folded down for the looks we get.

welldigger

I would much rather have a hard top. All the ones I find near me are beat to crap. So a good condition metal one shipped to me is the same price as a fiberglass one. So uf they fit good I would honestly rather have fiberglass. At least they don't rust.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about a fiberglass top but changed my mind and bought a new hard top kit in the crate for $925.00, i live in the lighting capital of the world, central florida.

Last edited:

gungearz

I prefer to stay away from fiberglass body parts due to them cracking.... if you offroad the truck, a branch can come down, hit it in the perfect spot and it's done. plus, if you got kids playing around the truck all the time or if you have ever used the roof to stand on for anything, I don't think it would hold up well.... I'll take the rust over fiberglass repairs... just another opinion...

welldigger

I'm not all that worried about cracking. Fact is fiberglass isn't nearly as difficult to repair as some might think. If you think a metal top can handle someone standing on it... well I don't know what tops you have seen but all of the metal ones I have handled were already caved in from someone standing on it or piling sand bags or other gear on it. The one we put on the bobber project had to be straitened and reinforced at a body shop. Those metal tops are probably the single most under built parts for the deuce. Not saying I wouldn't use a metal top, but its getting increasingly difficult to find one in good shape for a reasonable price.

ranchhopper

I went with fiberglass because most used metal ones are really rusty lots of pinholes and the clean ones are priced like their gold plated fiberglass tops have no seams to leak and are easily fixed or altered with some fiberglass cloth and resin. Fiberglass can bend a lot farther than metal in stress situations and its way easier to fix a crack in fiberglass than straighten out a warped or bent metal one.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with fiberglass because most used metal ones are really rusty lots of pinholes and the clean ones are priced like their gold plated fiberglass tops have no seams to leak and are easily fixed or altered with some fiberglass cloth and resin. Fiberglass can bend a lot farther than metal in stress situations and its way easier to fix a crack in fiberglass than straighten out a warped or bent metal one.
Yep just drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading . With rust it just keeps coming back.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted Korpi

Sorry, I forgot to ask if he is a manufacturer or just an
individual who happened to have a fiberglass top you
bought?

I'm trying to find someone who can custom make me one.

Thanks for patience,
Orren

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks