• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Booster Issues

01flhtc

Well, I changed out my lift pump today. After I got finished, I was letting it idle while waiting to make sure I had all the air out of the system. I noticed a puddle of oil behind the LH steer tire. Upon further checking the brake booster was leaking towards the rear where it bolts to the firewall. Is there a replaceable seal in there or does this require a complete booster replacement? What kind of a job in difficulty is this? As always, I appreciate any and all input.

cliffyp

There are a couple different seals. It's not too bad of a job. I took a gamble and took the seals from a unit at a pick apart yard and swapped them into mine. I went from major leak to no leak.

01flhtc

Thanks. If there are a couple of different seals it might just be best for me to buy a new unit that way, I am almost guaranteed to get it fixed. :) "Almost" is the key word.

remote6

My master cylinder was leaking thoutht it might have been the hydro booster because it was where they connected. I would check that first because the master controllor is 50$ and hydro booster was 200$ I belive. I looked on here back when I changed it out was something about it leaking inside the cab if its the hydro booster.

cliffyp

When my hydro boost was leaking, it was losing copious amounts from between the brake reservoir and the hydro boost, never a drop inside the cab. The seals inside the booster where shot. I would suggest to anyone to just replace the seals and not the unit. Seals are dirt cheap.

trooper632

Its more than likely the master cylinder, Mine did the same thing, after I took off the master cylinder by taking off the two nuts that's secure it to the booster I noticed the cylinder was leaking from the back of it there it bolt up to the booster. I had a spare, put it on and it worked fine. I primed the new master cylinder by using a syringe with a needle on it and pushing fluid down into the holes in both chamber inside the cylinder, worked great.

cliffyp

Never mind just read your other post. Do you know where to get them new?
I had written a reply yesterday, but for some reason it's not here. I'll give you the condensed version. Yes you can get them but I've searching and can't find where. I came come across a thread on a different forum once with a pretty good write up about taking it apart and where to get seals. I can't find that either. I'm not much help. I had a very good experience with seals from a junk yard, most places will probably let you have them for free.

Its more than likely the master cylinder, Mine did the same thing, after I took off the master cylinder by taking off the two nuts that's secure it to the booster I noticed the cylinder was leaking from the back of it there it bolt up to the booster. I had a spare, put it on and it worked fine. I primed the new master cylinder by using a syringe with a needle on it and pushing fluid down into the holes in both chamber inside the cylinder, worked great.
For anyone with a leak from the master cylinder/hydro boost area:
Are you loosing brake fluid or power steering fluid?
Which reservoir is getting low? Don't just assume which is more likely.

ETHAN SHERMAN

My m1008 leaks between the master cylinder and brake booster i am also getting power steering fluid in my master cylinder do i just replace my booster seals or is my master cylinder bad also does the master cylinder have to be for Hydro boost or will a master cylinder for a vacuum booster work

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks