• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 404

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
And, to take this thread back where it started, I think that if a person really likes the Unimog, and/or has a genuine use or need for one, they should go for it. I have never heard of anyone who regretted getting one, and every person who sold theirs regretted doing so. In their particular niche, they are the best solution. They do have their limitations, but if you're willing to work within those limitations, which aren't that many, and learn to play to the 'mog's strengths, which are legendary, they will never let you down.

I do still want one. Also a Pinzgauer. But I have to accept my own limitations, which is that I just can't justify having either one. I can barely justify the M923 for the farm. Pretty awesome machines, though, and yeah, I still drool every time I see one.

Last edited:

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both a 63 404 Mog and a 1996 H1 they are totaly different units and both do many things very well. The Mog will do anything the Hummer will do but much slower and without the comfort of the H1. Even if you are using a 2 Door H1 the Mog will carry much more in the back for room the lbs is about the same. The Hummer is much faster and more comfortable it has power so does not need the slow speed and gears to do what it does. My Mog is worth maybe $12K the H1 maybe $30K I enjoy both and respect both and appreciate the differences they have. They are both GREAT units. Eddy

Another Ahab

On The Cheap

I do still want one. Also a Pinzgauer. But I have to accept my own limitations, which is that I just can't justify having either one. I can barely justify the M923 for the farm. Pretty awesome machines, though, and yeah, I still drool every time I see one.
Yeah, like the Pinzgauers also:

- See a thread about them, and BOOM. subscribed.

One thing I have learned is that it's always cheaper to read about any of these vehicles than it is to actually own them.

For sure, maybe not as much fun. But absolutely less costly.

Penny-pinch.jpg

PaFarmer

Nice to hear from someone who has both. If the seller had not gotten flaky I would have bought a titled HMMWV a year ago. I was a bit concerned about wadding it up in the woods on trails cut for jeeps, but was planning to use it hard.

I keep watching the GP auctions. I have two friends with H1s, comparing the comfort of a civy H1 to a HMMWV is really not fair, there is no insulation or carpet in the HMMWV. The 6.5 has more power than the 6.2. Half shafts seem to be a problem for people who use them hard off road according to threads on Pirate. The one I drove was wound out at 55 mph and was as loud as my mog. 160 HP is better than 82 but still nothing to get excited about.

This thread started out about info on 404s. There was some bashing and some trash talk, but I hope the OP has gotten the info he wanted from folks familiar with 404s. If you are looking for a rare, valuable, capable wheeler, a 404 is hard to beat. There are a lot of good resources on the internet. Many parts are readily available and not very expensive. If you are looking for a brand rivalry with AM General Hummer/HMMWV owners it looks like a mog can be a good selection.

Last edited:

Mercunimog404

Banned
I have both a 63 404 Mog and a 1996 H1 they are totaly different units and both do many things very well. The Mog will do anything the Hummer will do but much slower and without the comfort of the H1. Even if you are using a 2 Door H1 the Mog will carry much more in the back for room the lbs is about the same. The Hummer is much faster and more comfortable it has power so does not need the slow speed and gears to do what it does. My Mog is worth maybe $12K the H1 maybe $30K I enjoy both and respect both and appreciate the differences they have. They are both GREAT units. Eddy
To add, the mog will carry 3000 pounds over the rubicon trail if you desired to.

turnkey

Looks like the gloves have come off...Smackdown time.....I like the hummer with a cummins 6 in it like they have for sale at eastern Equipment I think...Rode in 404s before in aussieland...great rig for a party on the beach...lots of beer and stuff....I go with the hummer.

greenjeepster

I hope that one day the hmmwv has the following that the Unimog has. So far so few have been released they have been relegated to the fringes of off road society... they have been so expensive that you needed to be a trust fund baby to own one and off road it. I am comfortable with the price I paid for mine... sure it's more than a 404, but not much more and I can wheel it without fear of rolling 40 K down a rock face.

They removed all the good section of the Rubicon trail. I was up there last summer and it was kinda let down by how tame the trail sections are now. There were people with bone stock ford rangers running it.

Another Ahab

To Get To The Other Side

They removed all the good section of the Rubicon trail. I was up there last summer and it was kinda let down by how tame the trail sections are now. There were people with bone stock ford rangers running it.
But the question must be asked of you greenjeepster, while you were there:

- Did you cross the Rubicon!?

rubicon.jpg

Mercunimog404

Banned
I hope that one day the hmmwv has the following that the Unimog has. So far so few have been released they have been relegated to the fringes of off road society... they have been so expensive that you needed to be a trust fund baby to own one and off road it. I am comfortable with the price I paid for mine... sure it's more than a 404, but not much more and I can wheel it without fear of rolling 40 K down a rock face.

They have closed it down for clean up or something. I love about 40 minutes away from it and I can assure you it's still open. Don't get me wrong. I love hmmwvs and would to own one. But it's not in the cards at this point. I'm not sure who spent 40k on a 404. Who ever it was, was ripped off. This guy wants 20k for his 1300. http://m.imgur.com/a/HLV0b. Here's another for a pretty good price. http://www.unimogsales.com/unimogforsale-U1300L-1984.html. 15,800 for the truck and a couple thousand for import.

PaFarmer

As a follow up, I just sold my 404 unimog for $8,000. I have had it for three years and used it on and off road. I am sure I will miss it, but I use my jeeps a lot more and selling it will help fund my next purchase. I had it advertised on SS for a week or so at $8500 and did not generate any interest.

Another Ahab

As a follow up, I just sold my 404 unimog for $8,000. I have had it for three years and used it on and off road. I am sure I will miss it, but I use my jeeps a lot more and selling it will help fund my next purchase. I had it advertised on SS for a week or so at $8500 and did not generate any interest.
Do you already have your sights on something:

- Or are the funds just sitting tight in escrow?

PaFarmer

I am always looking. I went to look at an M29 Weasel a few months ago and decided I would sell some stuff to get different stuff.

The King Machine

I typed "breakover angle", but was thinking rollover angle.

It is really apples and oranges and I am sorry that some are taking offence. Like I said before I am not disrespecting the mogs. And I know that the video was of a 406 diesel... that was my point... if the diesel couldn't do it the gasser sure as heck isn't gonna.

Don't argue with MOG owners, they are never wrong and nothing will ever come close to a MOG's abilities.
So don't bother, just let them do their thing lol
I'd be the same if I paid that much for a truck hahaha

When they get stuck and ask you to pull them out just say sure.
Then later in the night around the camp fire just listen to their stories of glory and wonder behind the wheel of their great machines.

They are full chested breed of people.

If you want to find common ground with them just start bashing jeeps LOL

PaFarmer

Don't argue with MOG owners, they are never wrong and nothing will ever come close to a MOG's abilities. RESPONSE - This is a factual statement.
I'd be the same if I paid that much for a truck hahaha. RESPONSE - The price I paid for my mog netted me a good profit.

When they get stuck and ask you to pull them out just say sure. RESPONSE - Sounds like you are suffering from mog envy. Don't drive one or even look at one for more than a few seconds, you will become obsessed trying to get one.

Then later in the night around the camp fire just listen to their stories of glory and wonder behind the wheel of their great machines.

RESPONSE - No sensible mog owner would bad mouth a Jeep. Jeeps are where it is at trailriding. Not having a cage in my mog held me back some. With my jeeps I can go at it with reckless abandon.

i will always sing the virtues of Mogs and would buy one again at the right price, but for now it is sort of been there done that. Same for my crawler on 42"s I just sold.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Don't argue with MOG owners, they are never wrong and nothing will ever come close to a MOG's abilities.
I'd be the same if I paid that much for a truck hahaha

When they get stuck and ask you to pull them out just say sure.

Says the tool that doesn't have a mog nor has ever seen one drive.

The King Machine

At least you didn't lie and say you had experience. We all know it's just your opinion. And we know what they say about opinions ;)

So why come into a thread just to stink it up with the foul smell from you breathing?

Dude your just digging your hole deeper! Foolish man

You see up here in the great white north we don't wheel in ORV parks, it's the real deal. When you f*ck up out here, no one but your friends is going to come and rescue you.
And no we don't piss around with the gutless 404's

I wheel with MOG's often, I have yet to be impressed. Funny thing is I haven't even bashed the UNIMOG I respect them, however I bash the owners for obvious reasons NOTE above posts lol you guys are all the same.
My good Ol' American real steel Deuce has gone everywhere they have, the only thing I have managed to do is disappoint MOG owners. They call my truck cookie cutter.
You see I learned many moons ago that it isn't about the vehicle a man drives, but more how he drives it. I love ribbing the MOG guys, around the camp fire we bust each others balls. All in good fun. We never sling personal insults because the next day on the trail we may need to help one another.

Here's a few pics:
If you don't know? now you know!
My deuce with a MOG!
I even included a picture of my beautiful truck taken by the passenger of a MOG (they took a break from selfies)
The crashed Mercedes 5 ton is what happens up here in the real deal if you slip up.

But wait I've got vids too. Observe our 2 trucks navigating the same hole from t differnt angles. If you notice the video of the MOG ends abruptly. Thats due to the fact the MOG got hung up on the ass end of the hole and ripped his tail lighjts off. LOL Movie was edited to no show that part, you MOG guys are funny

https://youtu.be/fP7ymrfqK7k

Now watch my Deuce
https://youtu.be/_uSxHkvjfwk

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks