• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring and Service Brake Chamber Replacement

Dukeman

I have been searching and reading all day and have come to the conclusion that we will replace the Brake Chamber instead of trying to cage the spring brake and replace the diaphragm. I have seen so many other threads come to that conclusion and I have seen many people say go to Napa, they carry the new Brake Chamber, but I have not seen anyone post a part number. I have not been able to find the part and would like some help if any one has done this and has found them.

Also, TM 9-2320-272-24-1 page 3-182 says that the spring brake must be caged to remove the Brake Chamber. I'm not sure I understand why. Is it just a safety issue? Because you are working around the assembly it is safer to cage the spring? Is it because with no air pressure to the spring, the plunger has pressure on the wedge assembly and if the chamber is removed from the housing without caging the spring the whole chamber will go flying? The TM also cautions about ensuring the wedge assembly does not fall out of the plunger housing. Is this difficult to do or is it just a matter of paying attention when you pull the chamber away from the housing.

Thanks for the help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to cage it because it is in the " emergency/parking brakes applied" position with no air.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Doghead said; otherwise you'll have a difficult time in removing it, as the brakes will be applied. The -10 manual explains in detail how to do it, and once you do it the first time, you'll shake your head as to how easy it really is. Just be sure to keep track of the dust plug that covers the hole in the can; those are hard to find and I can only find them on Ryder Fleet Products' online store.

Speaking to my NAPA guy, the corporate stores are starting to stock Haldex and Midland products to expand into the heavy truck market...it may be a while before all stores carry a wide line, and some of the independently-owned NAPAs may or may not be carrying these lines. My local trusted NAPA does, as well as new diaphragms and what not.

If you pay attention, you shouldn't have any problems. Another member posted a thread with some helpful YouTube videos about working on wedge brakes that give a good initial idea of what to expect.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a hard job , BUT READ READ the TM's and follow ALL the instructions , NO short cuts ! AS we used to say if you make a mistake you WILL NOT GET HURT ! you will probably be history ! good luck , bob k

Dukeman

After all the official warnings, my crew and I got freaked out we took the 931A1 to a shop here in Albuquerque. This shop has been in business over 35 years and the mechanic, Willy, knew exactly what he was looking at when we brought it in. Said they just don't see wedge brakes much. Said he would just get us a new brake can and replace the whole thing. I called Willy today and he said he couldn't find the parts. Willy said he just caged up the spring and replaced the diaphragm. Said, piece of cake compared to a 30 ton truck these are nothing and just use common sense when dealing with them. He said he just went ahead and used the caging bolt from the vehicle. He also replaced one of the diaphragms on the front axle and some work or replacement on the governor, not sure which yet. He said we really need to know how to replace the diaphragm ourselves so we don't have to risk the brakes engaging if we are on the road so when we pick the truck up he is going to go over the procedure with us and give us some spare diaphragms. Super nice guy. He said the truck is really in good shape, that the springs, cans, caging bolts, etc. were solid with no wear at all just a little dust. I am not encouraging anyone to start messing with caging brake springs and I take the same stance as everyone here that doing so can be dangerous, but maybe, just maybe its not as bad as we are lead to believe. I know that the next time this happens, and I know it will, I will be replacing the diaphragm myself. Good luck!

Dukeman

Hey Ferrel! Yep, we are going to work on the 5th wheel hitch this weekend and see if we can get that taken care of. Hope to see ya soon. Good luck on your new job and the move.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks