• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lost the button from the hydraulic head

TexRdnec

again

i'm going to get a new clip this time and install a new set of O-rings but what else do I need to do in order to never have to do this job again?

it always happens on engine shutdown. she'll run fine for X amount of time and then just crank and crank the next time I go to start it up

here's what it looks like inside, let me know if you need pics of the head or anything else

TexAndy

I recall that the big O-ring went right under the pump head. What did we take the little o-ring off of, tho?

Was it just those two o-rings? Haven't called ambac yet.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Orings for under the HH so PM me with your address. No charge. The small one you can get anywhere that sells good Orings.
Two Orings under the Head one under the fuel control.

Last edited:

TexAndy

I have the Orings for under the HH so PM me with your address. No charge. The small one you can get anywhere that sells good Orings.
Two Orings under the Head one under the fuel control.

Do you happen to have the part numbers for those o-rings? I'm going to see if I can order a couple of the plunger button retaining rings probably tomorrow. Might as well get the o-rings, too.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine come from Grangers and they come in a pack of 10. Grangers # 1KAG5 and # 1KAG8 are for the Head and are the Viton. I don't have Ambac part #.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do you happen to have the part numbers for those o-rings? I'm going to see if I can order a couple of the plunger button retaining rings probably tomorrow. Might as well get the o-rings, too.
I have some of the clips that hold the button on. Let me know what AMbac says, I bet you'll have to order 12 of them to make the minimum order!

welldigger

They didn't even have 12 left. I asked for 3 and he just said he'd put them in an envelope and mail them to me, no charge.
Makes me wonder if ambac is going to quit producing parts for these injector pumps. Awesome that they sent you the parts for free though.

TexAndy

That injection pump is in alot of stuff, isn't it? I asked the guy something along the lines of "have they stopped making them?" and he said "I don't think so. At least, there's no note to not re-order."

Anyways, with a little creativity you could probably fab a decent replacement for that clip.

Alot of the other stuff would be a nightmare to make. The plunger itself, especially.

Crazy thought... I wonder if anyone has tried using an arduino or other cheap PLC to control an electronic injection pump? Something like that might be an alternative to the stock gear driven pump someday, when parts truly start to dry up. Assuming any unventilated LDT-465 blocks are left by then!

welldigger

I don't know what all that injection pump was used on but if I had to guess there's a good chance it's fairly unique. At least everything else attached to the multi fuel seems to be.

Ambac made/makes a similar looking ip for the dt 466. But it's not the same pump. The farm tractor version of the multi fuel used a roosamaster pump. Different type and manufacturer than the ambac unit.

welldigger

Perhaps a Roosamaster pump could be retrofitted to our engines if need be.
Possibly. But keep in mind the roosamaster is a light duty rotary style ip. It's better suited for tractors and stationary engines or situations when a constant rpm is used. It's not really suited for the constant rpm change that trucks do while driving down the road.

However, if it were doable without sacrificing reliability I would be all over the swap myself. Reason being is roosamaster/stanadyne pumps are EVERYWHERE and CHEAP to rebuild.

TexAndy

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the MEP-002 and 003 use the same PSB injection pump as an LDT-465

If that's the case, might be a good way to scavenge one from a dead generator set.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the MEP-002 and 003 use the same PSB injection pump as an LDT-465

If that's the case, might be a good way to scavenge one from a dead generator set.
Nope, very similar, but no. I have tried to use parts from one on the other and its a no-go.

Keith_J

They use the same design, it is different parts. The generators use fixed injection timing, automotive applications always have adjustable timing. Generators only vary injected quantity.

But yes, the Ambac injection pumps are of the same basic design.

welldigger

The problem is even if they are of the same general design but the parts don't interchange that doesn't help at all. I fear that ambac might decide the market isn't lucrative enough to continue supporting the multi fuel pumps and injectors. I don't believe this is a problem yet but who knows how long it will last.

Though, I guess the same could be said for any part of the deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks