• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun truck pics

M1075

My Dad was going through his Army photos in the attic and found these pics he took. Hope you enjoy. His notes below:

Pleiku Viet Nam 24 Dec 1968 , 541st Trans Co

Gun jeep (M151) equipped with the following;

AN-VRC 47 radio
2 M-60 machine guns
3 M-16 rifles
1 M-79 grenade launcher

Gun truck equipped with the following

2 M-60 machine guns
1 50 caliber machine gun
1 M-79 granade launcher
4 M-16 rifles
1 AN/VRC radio

PS. He says he liked the "Quad 50s" the best.

EDIT: I found this old thread and the pics were gone from the old server crash. I have uploaded them again for viewing.

Attachments

Monster Man

that's awesome! thanks so much for sharing. Wetsech, if you take a look in the Member's Rides section under cool deuce pics http://www.steelsoldiers.com/DotNetForum/default.aspx?f=66&m=5616&p=3 I posted a few deuce gun trucks in there. But these two are ones I hadn't ever seen before. I really hope you'll head over to:

http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGunTrucks/

there is a sort of registry, I'm sure they would love to know the locations, names, companies, etc. of these trucks and their drivers.

Great work!
OMG- edit- now this is wild- I was just over there, and low and behold, what do I see?

[thumbzup]

Deuce-bigalo

Wow - those are great!!! The only thing is I wonder how many tires they went through. You'd think they would also put a sheet of steel over tha exposed rubber in the rear!!! Anywho, thanks for sharing those cool photos!

John

Monster Man

Wow - those are great!!! The only thing is I wonder how many tires they went through. You'd think they would also put a sheet of steel over tha exposed rubber in the rear!!! [/quote]
ahhh, the beauty of duals. As said, these things were WAY overloaded (even the 5 tons) with all that steel, and with duals you can just keep going and going :lol:

vtdeucedriver

M1075, what unit was your dad with in Vietnam???? It ok to foreward these pics to a couple of guys? One of them may be a crewmember on "Kings" I have met 3 guys that have crewed that truck. Its a good pic of her.

Westy.........you should have asked me, I would have told you. Tho not as common as 5 tons, there were quite a few. Most of the "well known" ones were with the 541st Trans Co. as they were a deuce outfit.

Only a couple with quad mounts were with a Transportation unit. Tho the quad 50 was nice, it still did not offer the crew much protection during a ambush. I can only imagine the crew of a Ontos trying to load its recoiless would be much of the same.
Anyways, when you see a quad in the back of a truck, chances are its attached to a Firebase. The dolly system sucked during the monsoon season so they would mount the quads in the back of deuces and 5 tons and move the truck where they needed the quad along the perimiter of the FB.

That last pic of those quads look typical to what they would have on a firebase,

M1075

Send the pics on.

I think my Dad served in the following roles during 68 & 69

61st company (platoon leader)
563rd trucking company (company commander)
541st transportation officer (s2, s3)

Barrman

Hmmm, both of the "Quad -50" trucks look like Gassers. I also notice that one of them has the side panels removed and a Diesel intake mushroom. Intereresting.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

vtdeucedriver

There both multifuels..............early trucks did not have a stack. The exhaust goes down the bed and out between the duals on the right side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks