• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce or Bobbed Deuce as a Farm Truck?

1dcorbin

I need a truck for use on my 'hobby', but working farm. I'm kicking around the idea of a bobbed deuce with a winch and a dump bed.

Could a deuce be fixed-up to make a dependable, rugged work truck for the farm?

If you think yes, what vintage of deuce should I look for? Should I go with a manual or an automatic transmission?

What do I need to be cautious of?

How much should I expect to spend to get an excellent, reliable machine?

Jeepsinker

First of all, if you want it to be a good reliable work truck, leave it 6x6. And stay with the standard trans. Vintage doesnt matter much, as long as it is not a gasser. All of them can be made to be reliable if you have the time, skill, and money.
Edit: On another note, I have been daily driving my deuce since i got it last October and with some attentive maintenance my truck has not been out of service for a full day yet. I have put approximately 15,000 miles on it so far.

Last edited:

Cruceno

I'll echo Jeepsinker...don't bob it. It'll be much more rugged and useful to you as a farm truck if you leave it a 6x6. Plus, a bob will cut into your hauling capacity. You can still add winches and dump beds without a bob-job.

Personally, I would aim for a late 60's-early 70's M35a2 with a multi-fuel and manual transmission. They are EASY to work on and can take anything you can dish out.

1dcorbin

Thanks for the info!

I follow what you're saying about the lowered hauling capacity with a bobbed deuce. What's the capacity of the deuce compared with a bobbed one?

But, what are the issues about with the bob-job? Are the problems with the skill of the person doing the bob such as drive shaft fabrication, axle alignment, etc?

I was thinking that a bobbed unit would be easier to handle / drive around the farm.

Jeepsinker

At what point do you need to parallel park a deuce on a farm? Lol... They are not that hard to handle to begin with if you aren't up in your years. I steer mine with one palm on the wheel around my fields.

Cruceno

::snip::What's the capacity of the deuce compared with a bobbed one?

But, what are the issues about with the bob-job? Are the problems with the skill of the person doing the bob such as drive shaft fabrication, axle alignment, etc?

I was thinking that a bobbed unit would be easier to handle / drive around the farm.
Your run-of-the-mill Deuce is rated to handle 2.5 tons in an offroad envinronment (hence the name Deuce and a Half), and roughly twice that on road. You'll find threads where guys push those limits well beyond the rated capacities. I can't speak to the capacity of a bobbed Deuce, but I can imagine that its severely reduced to 2/3? Half? You'd have to ask someone who has one to be sure.

And yes, all those issues you listed can become a problem in a bob-job. My experience with farm vehicles is that you want something rediculously rugged, that doesn't require a lot of attention and that works day in and day out. An unmodified Deuce is all that, aside from your standard maintenance. It seems to me that a bob brings many of those rugged qualities into question. You're losing an axle and a set of rubber, you're relocating spring packs, you're cutting frame rails, etc. Its a pretty big undertaking and does depend on the skills of the builder and the quality of the work. It can be done, and it can be done well, but is it worth it in the end? That's for you to decide.

And really, a 6x6 isn't that tough to drive. The lack of power steering sucks, but you'll adjust to it.

I'm sure I'll catch flack from the bobber community for this! :shock: I don't hate bobbers! I just don't think they make good work trucks! :shrugs:

Reaper651

The thing is, it doesn't seem like the wheel base shrinks enough to make it worth bobbing as far as handling goes. Yes you have less tires to buy with a bobber, but that extra axle and tires seems like it would be handy to have and the impressive articulation capability of the standard Deuce suspension makes it a difficult decision.(Youtube has some awesome Deuce offroading videos) The bobber is very cool though and the Deuce front suspension, which is what I would use for the rear on a bobbed Deuce, articulates quite a lot, but it doesn't seem like it articulates as much as the standard rear suspension. As far as the bobbers weight capacity, its kind of up in the air it seems. I can say that the XM381(Basically a bobbed Deuce) Was rated for 2 tons by the military and it had single 11.00x20 NDT's. I intended to bobb my truck until I actually got it. I have only driven it a tiny bit but now I'm having trouble convincing myself to cut it up.aua Its a tough choice. Good luck on your decision.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We drive these around the farm and besides maintenance, arm strong steering in tight areas and soft ground is tough. The good thing is a healthy transmission will pull loaded sea-cans and dead firetrucks in low range so saving an Early Deuce with a good trani makes for lots of farm fun. Some will have a pto for a winch and if you could save an original M215 you'd have a dump-truck as well as a vintage truck.

These opinions may be subjective and only offered for the preservation of the G749 family of trucks.8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRc_ja2K5g0

1dcorbin

Thanks for all of the great information!

And, I have a few more questions...

What would be a fair price to pay for a deuce that is in great condition and has a winch versus one that has both a winch and a dump body?

Are there model years that have both a manual transmission and some type of power steering?

gunboy1656

There are plenty of deuces out near you find one and go take a look at it, Have the owner show you about the truck, crawl under it. And take a pickup truck with an extended cab (or even a quad cab) to compare sizes. A deuce is not much bigger than either of those trucks.

They are not hard to maneuver if you think about what your doing. After a while it become second nature.

barefootin

This was my second 40 mile round trip in my "farm truck" yesterday. Besides the EGT's getting a little high climbing a 2+ mile long steep grade it didn't even know it was loaded. I couldn't ask for a better truck! I even got a text from a guy I know who was behind me for a portion of the trip. He was impressed that it was doing the speed limit and not belching smoke loaded like that for the 10 or so miles that he was behind me. As others had said, I wouldn't bob it if you intend to use it for what it was meant for.
Tanner haulin wood.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. If you find a decent deal on a good running and driving gasser deuce, don't look away. They are nearly as powerful as a mulit, not as bad on gas and the gasser 5 tons and the engine is 100% industrial. Anyone who has ridden in or drove a good running gasser deuce will confirm this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas powered 5 ton is between 2 and maybe 5 MPG. On the deuce it's between 7 and 9 depending on body and weight. They can really trip people out when you pull up. When running good with the correct exhaust, they are very quiet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks