• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck clutch pedal

XchaosX

I can't press in the clutch pedal at all. The linkage isn't binding and I greased all the fittings associated with the clutch. Nothing looks out place looking through the access cover. This is the wrecked truck I'm fixing up and has been sitting for 3-4 years. I almost think I could move the pedal when I first got the truck, but its been 6 months so I can't say for sure. The truck fires up fine and will move foward when I start it up in first low. Hoping this is something simple but I'm thinking I will be dropping the transmission.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a pin that holds the clutch linkage to the arm on the pivot rod of the trans. Remove that pin and see if you can move the pivot bar by itself. Then you can get an idea of where the issue is.

rustystud

I don't want to be a "barer of bad news" but if you still cannot move the pivot rod after greasing the zerks and smacking the rod with a "BFH" , you might have a welded clutch to flywheel problem. This has happened to me in the Marines, and in civilian life at work. The clutch plate had lost all material and was metal on metal. When I was on a grade and slipping the clutch to get moving, it created so much heat that the clutch welded itself to the flywheel ! Of course it could also be that the throw-out bearing housing has seized on the input shaft support. So many fun and happy out-comes to think about !

ducer

It could also be the friction material is just plain old stuck to the flywheel from sitting. In that case carefully try to slide a thin putty knife between the friction material and the flywheel to break it loose. I've done that manytimes in the past.

Denny

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Or you could just take it apart and know for sure. If the clutch is stuck to the flywheel, it needs replaced anyhoo.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you guys need to go back and re read what the op said. the pedal will not move. first step is to remove the linkage pin at the cross shaft arm and go from there.

XchaosX

Well I feel like quite the idiot! I was right the pedal worked when I first got the truck. I put together a toolbox from 2 wrecked boxes. The front brackets on both were destroyed so I used two rear brackets. I didn't pay attention to how the front brackets actually are narrowed up top to allow movement for the pedal. I never thought to look on the other side of frame when I was under the truck. I removed the toolbox which is a royal pain and cut a notch.
2014-05-27 17.36.47.jpg

Reaper651

Well I feel like quite the idiot! I was right the pedal worked when I first got the truck. I put together a toolbox from 2 wrecked boxes. The front brackets on both were destroyed so I used two rear brackets. I didn't pay attention to how the front brackets actually are narrowed up top to allow movement for the pedal. I never thought to look on the other side of frame when I was under the truck. I removed the toolbox which is a royal pain and cut a notch.
View attachment 495579
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::whistle::whistle::whistle: Yes I have had things like this happen before too. Its a loss win type of thing. Angry because you caused the problem. And happy because it was a simple fix and didn't require major cash and labor. Glad it wasn't too serious.

jatonka

And now you know something about tool box mount brackets that a lot of us didn't know!!!!!!! Now you are one of the wise ones. Great meeting you at Norwich last weekend, JT

acesneights1

There is a pin that holds the clutch linkage to the arm on the pivot rod of the trans. Remove that pin and see if you can move the pivot bar by itself. Then you can get an idea of where the issue is.
How do you remove that pin ? I see no way to get it out ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks