• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 air conditioning a/c install project

Reckless

JesusGatos, I have personally called Kenway and to get the mounting kit for the A2 the cost is over $800. So if someone can design a kit for half the price then so be it. If you believe people do not make duplicates of products to compete, then you my friend do not shop retail. Competition drives business, just remember that.

As for Patracy, he would be working hard to pass the savings on to Steel Soldiers members. I don't believe he stated what the quality of his product would be either, but I would imagine it would not be lesser.

That's right though, Patracy would be the very first person ever to look at a product and redesign it in a cost saving way and possibly improve it.....Shame on you Patracy

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
JesusGatos, I have personally called Kenway and to get the mounting kit for the A2 the cost is over $800. So if someone can design a kit for half the price then so be it. If you believe people do not make duplicates of products to compete, then you my friend do not shop retail. Competition drives business, just remember that.

As for Patracy, he would be working hard to pass the savings on to Steel Soldiers members. I don't believe he stated what the quality of his product would be either, but I would imagine it would not be lesser.

That's right though, Patracy would be the very first person ever to look at a product and redesign it in a cost saving way and possibly improve it.....Shame on you Patracy
Don't stick up for me. I, in fact, was looking for the measurements to make a weld up bracket kit. Not the same product kenway was making, but something that a local Georgia business could cut out for me. And no, I wasn't going to clone it 100%. I was looking to offer a DIY kit for people here to weld up their own bracket set. Couple those two facts together and it's a vastly different product than what is currently offered.

It does make me laugh a bit though. It's akin to the pot calling the kettle black. He markets motorcycle parts that are variations on designs that are also long established. Ones that the operational dimensions have to be the same as an OE part, yet have his design differences.

Over

M923A2 Kenway Bracket

I stand corrected on the price of the A2 brackets. Just talked to Ray (The guy who designed the brackets) at Kenway and he said the military has a pulley setup on the A2's that required an extra pulley on their part. It sounded like the pulley is different than a non military 6CTA8.3. And due to the extra stuff the price took a jump to $757. All of their mounts are the same ones that they supply to the military. Nice guy and he is the one that was sent to Cummins to look at the setups to design the bracket. I do have to hand it to guys with these type of skills. I guess duplication or re-engineering is a high form of flattery. I call it something else. It is expensive and I would have liked it more affordable, still doesn't make it right. And hopefully cheaper doesn't mean cheaper. In my M923A0 having something fail that's affecting my power steering would not be good. But mine was $200, good reason to stay with the old motor. Plus here's a great idea as this is what I may do, design my own. The HMMWV and upcoming M915 kits have brackets you can start with. I know that's a unique concept and it does take some skills that some may not have. But looking around here (SS) I see a lot of American ingenuity going on and would not doubt someone could design one without even looking (ripping) at Kenways design. If I feel my time spent saves me money it's worth doing, if not I'd buy the Kenway one. Don't bother flaming me, I don't care either way.

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i bought a kit off ebay to mount my compressor to my 923a2 for under 250.00 including shipping. came with the required pulley and 2 belts. easy mount up.. i plan on replacing the bench seat with a spring seat. moving the batteries and combo the unit in between the seats with a drink holder / console with a lock box for the wifes purse and valuables. i wish i could mount it under the dash and take out the heater as well. my unit has a heater also.. i havent taken it out the crate something i need to do soon

Over

i bought a kit off ebay to mount my compressor to my 923a2 for under 250.00 including shipping. came with the required pulley and 2 belts. easy mount up.. i plan on replacing the bench seat with a spring seat. moving the batteries and combo the unit in between the seats with a drink holder / console with a lock box for the wifes purse and valuables. i wish i could mount it under the dash and take out the heater as well. my unit has a heater also.. i havent taken it out the crate something i need to do soon
How do I find that ebay seller? Or can I ask, not sure of the rules. Beats me designing my own at that price.

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry this is one of my first posts but...

He markets motorcycle parts that are variations on designs that are also long established. Ones that the operational dimensions have to be the same as an OE part, yet have his design differences.
Well it looks like my brother got banned for rocking your boat patracy, so I guess I'll have to ask. Which of my products might you be referring to? Last I checked there were patents pending on nearly everything I sell.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well it looks like my brother got banned for rocking your boat patracy, so I guess I'll have to ask. Which of my products might you be referring to? Last I checked there were patents pending on nearly everything I sell.
I didn't ban your "brother". I even stated in the staff forum that I wasn't going to. Two other staff members felt that it wasn't acceptable. (His statement, and my lack of response) My comments were directed to how "your" top triple tree uses the same measurements to locate the forks as an OE part. I guess it's ok for you guys to make a part that uses the same measurements to locate something as a stock part, but not anyone else?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My comments were directed to how "your" top triple tree uses the same measurements to locate the forks as an OE part. I guess it's ok for you guys to make a part that uses the same measurements to locate something as a stock part, but not anyone else?
If you read my product description (or knew more about dirt bikes) you might have noticed my clamps adapt newer / better forks to the bike. Would have been pretty nice if I could have copied someones work though. The measurements for corrected offset, tolerancing, and steering stops were a real PITA. Your not going to try and order a set are you?!?!? hah

Regarding spin on oil filters (porkysplace) there is a fundamental confusion between two completely separate arguments: the validity of intellectual property (patents), and the morality of ripping off some ones design. I don't care to discuss either, especially here. Maybe its time the thread got back to making my balls not sweat in the Barstow heat...

Over

Thank you, yes it needs to get back to his AC install.
I was looking for a thread on a ac install I was doing. I know I left it here somewhere! LOL...........Haven't had time to take the pics of everything buttoned up. Wiring is next so maybe the pics and the project will be done by the weekend.

While I'm getting ready for the wiring here are some more pics of hoses hooked up and the routing I used. The only tool I had to buy was a 1 1/4" hole saw. Red Dot supplies this kit with Chinese dryers? Kit had hose cutting tool and the crimper tool. EVERYTHING is included. All I had to buy was a few nuts and bolts, spacers for the condensor mounting. A chunk of angle iron for the interior unit and a 1 1/4" hole saw, that's it! Got a case (12) of HD Freon at $7 a can even though it should only take 5 cans. Been working too late in the shop to finish the wiring which is also included and plug and play. Hopefully Thurs or Friday night. Am looking forward to hogging the parking in front of my daughters house for her birthday Saturday!

20140622_194842_resized.jpg20140622_160727_resized.jpg20140622_201601_resized.jpg20140622_154502_resized.jpg20140625_201439_resized.jpg20140625_201551_resized.jpg20140625_201609_resized.jpg20140625_201413_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I bought this bracket online. It is for the 8.3 Cummins it does not work like it was intended on the 5-ton it would mount where the top radiator support bracket mounts and the upper radiator hose would be in the way. But its cheap it was 110 bucks shipped. It may be a good starting point for someone who wants to do their own fab to mount a compressor.
image.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpg

Hawssie

It looks like to mount a belt to even run a compressor on an A2 you need part number 3908819. The rest would be just to fab up compressor mounts. I am not familiar with the HMMVEE kit but it looks to have a remote condenser unit with electric fans then a separate evaporator unit with blower an controls for the cab? If thats correct wouldn't it just be easier or if not easier more practical to just not use the condenser unit and instead mount a typical big rig condenser on the front of the radiator? From what I remember there is a lot of room, you could put a large one on there and nothing beats a mechanical fan for CFM. I mean thats the way big rigs do it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You could bypass the shutterstat and the fan would be always on. The aux pulley listed in the kit won't work with the mil trucks it is intended to mount where the fan is in the mil truck.

Hawssie

I gave up on putting A/C on my M931A2 or 936A for now.. But if there is an add on pulley I may change my mind. I am thinking my M1070 could use it more and that looks to be easier as there is already a fan belt for the 24V alternator that I could work off of. But still wondering why not run a condenser in the front of the radiator instead of an electric fan set up for the 5 tons. I know why they use it in a hummer add on but the M939s have a giant front end/radiator to work with and plenty of room.

Over

I gave up on putting A/C on my M931A2 or 936A for now.. But if there is an add on pulley I may change my mind. I am thinking my M1070 could use it more and that looks to be easier as there is already a fan belt for the 24V alternator that I could work off of. But still wondering why not run a condenser in the front of the radiator instead of an electric fan set up for the 5 tons. I know why they use it in a hummer add on but the M939s have a giant front end/radiator to work with and plenty of room.
Personally I prefer the idea of a remote condenser. Here in AZ it gets hot. Guys from here in Iraq say we are within a degree or so some months! So anything that doesn't hinder my rad is a go here. Plus running the engine fan (forcing) when it doesn't need to isn't good either. Some guys have rig up their fan so they are forced only when the ac is on but it's pretty involved. My condenser is just fine on the tool box!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks