• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Repair and Steering Wheel Replacement

todds112

So I went to blow my horn for my little guys today and, "nothing". Was working fine last week, although the button was a little stiff to push. I figure it had to be the button, so I took it apart. It's the older style horn and the rubber pads that hold it together (riveted to the steel plate) fell apart. I test it while apart and still nothing. All the wiring connectors look OK. On to the solenoid. Test it and, "nothing". It's dead. So now I need a horn button kit and a solenoid.

No sense in putting a brand new horn button on an old cracked and nasty steering wheel, right? So I spend the next hour or so fighting with the steering wheel to pull it.

I have read several posts here on getting the wheel off. I wasn't going to keep it, so I opted for a destructive method. I only have a 2 jaw puller and no welding equipment. I ended up using a hammer and chisel to break all the plastic off the wheel's hub. This left a surface I could grab with the puller behind the wheel. I put the nut back on the wheel, but loosened. I used a socket smaller than the nut and placed a couple quarters on the back of the socket for the center post of the puller to push on. Wayyy redneck, I know.:roll: It worked! No, "pop" when it gave way. It just loosened a little bit at a time (I would back the nut off as it came).

I ordered a new steering wheel, solenoid, and the upgraded button kit from Erik's. Should be here in a few days.

Anyone installed the upgraded button kit? Is there a connector mid-way in the steering shaft or is it one long wire? Hopefully the kit comes with directions. What is the square gasket in the kit for?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce does not use that gasket. It is used on other vehicles.

One long wire through the entire steering tube.

peashooter

I replaced my horn button with the new style (self contained button), it had a short wire with connector that connected to a longer wire inside the steering column. I just reused the same long wire in the steering column rather than try to replace it. The only issue I had was the silly wire retaining clip that is supposed to hold the button into the big rubber dougnut, the button would still come out easy so I found a "C" clip from mcmaster that did a better job holding the button in. Oh and I thought the rectangular gasket was for the steering box when you replace the long wire but again I didn't install all the new parts so can't say for certain

Last edited:

ducer

Easy job, first off the square gasket is used only on the Gamma Goat I believe, throw it away. To run the new wire up the column take a long straight piece of mechanics wire (about 2 ft longer than the column) make a tiny loop in the end of it with a pair of needle nose pliers. From the inside of the cab take that mechanics wire and put the loop over the connector and tape tightly with a good quality electrical tape about 6 inches past either side of your splice keeping everything perfectly straight. Do not tape to big in diameter at splice. Get out of the truck now and climb under the front carefully pry out the plug in the end of the steering box with the wire coming out of it (you will need to reuse this plug). Carefully and slowly now pull out the wire until your mechanics wire starts to appear untape and reverse the procedure for installation. This hole thing should take you no more than 5 minutes 10 tops. Oh ya one more thing when you remove the plug with the wire oil will leak out be prepared and don't forget to top off steering box with your favorite lubricant when done (I used gl1 I had laying around and it hardly leaks out).

Good luck,
Denny

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the gasket fits several trucks, but not the m-35 so you don't need it. you can just pull the wire up a little and crimp on the correct end if you have one.

todds112

Replacing the horn kit was really easy. Only hiccup was the screws with the kit were just a little too small to grab the holes in the steering wheel. Pulling the new wire through was super easy. The kit did come with a new plug for the steering box.

I think I like the looks of the old style horn better on the old style steering wheel, but this new button is much easier to push and will be super easy to replace the button if it ever fails.

New steering wheel went on easy enough. I was considering painting it green, but decided just to leave it black.

Solenoid was kind of a pain to install (all of it my fault). The part itself was great, included the elbow and a new compression nut and ring. To make things easier I was going to reuse the old hardware, but the nut wouldn't go on the new elbow. There was enough extra air line to cut off the old fitting and put the new one. Should have just done that in the first place. Got it all back together and it leaked, of course. Pulled it all back out. Couldn't get a wrench or anything on the solenoid to tighten it down properly between the two trumpets. Then I discovered the trumpets screw off the base. Removed one and it made it much easier to get the solenoid in. Then I was able to get the elbow on tight enough that it sealed up. I made it much more difficult than it should have been.

Good new is everything is back in and works like it should.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks