• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce making oil.

hey everyone. I have owned my truck for 3 years now and did nothing but normal maintenence. This year I went out on the limb and changed the turbo, spin on filters and tons of other stuff. Now since the last oil change 4 weeks ago I have been having nothing but problems. First the c turbo I installed blew the hot side oil seal. The next thing was a loss of power and finally I checked the oil and noticed it was way over full. I drained it and I couldn't beleive that 12 gallons came out of the motor. It's only been 4 weeks and less than 1000 miles to make 7 gallons of oil. The FDC was disconnected by the military before I got it.
Where can that much liquid come from? The oil was very thin like diesel fuel. I run over 50% oil as fuel. Maybe an injector pump but I really don't know.
Thanks in advancd!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just went through this on my personal truck.

So there are more or less, 5 places the system can be compromised.

The FDC, which isn't an issue in your truck.
The booster pump seal.
The throttle shaft o-ring in the IP
Theoretically, the piston in the hydraulic head can be worn enough to leak diesel into the oil system. I have been told (I have no such experience with worn pistons) that if the piston is worn enough to do that, the truck would exhibit rough running conditions.
Flame heater cold start system can leak.

My truck had 2 issues: the booster pump and the throttle shaft o-ring. After wasting a couple of filters and 5.5 gallons of oil, I'd recommend doing everything at once.

On my truck, since I live in Ga and we don't have cold weather, I removed the flame heater system. I bypassed the FDC and I replaced all the hydraulic head o-rings as well as the throttle shaft o-ring and I replaced the booster pump seal.

There are very good threads on all of these issues out in the forum. If you can not find them, go to the "trouble searching" thread linked below in my signature line.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
booster pump seal would be the first thing i checked. just slide it out with the line still hooked up and turn on the in tank pump.

mikey

I also have diesel in my crankcase. I found this when dumping the oil. I'm pretty sure it came from the oil pan as the bucket was brand new.

IMG_2607[1].jpgIMG_2608[1].jpgIMG_2609[1].jpg

Does this help identify the booster pump seal, HH o ring or throttle shaft o ring?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mikey

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's hard to make out, but it appears to be silicone to me. Is the oil pan gasket sealed with silicone as well? Valve covers maybe?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
not good. there is no reason or excuse for ever using these 'gasket makers' when you can buy the correct seal or gasket. just a sloppy mechanic did this.
in answer to your question, no, but just diagnose where the oil is comming from, it's easy to do.

ke5eua

Ahh rtv, know that stuff anywhere.

Army mechanics best friend there.

not good. there is no reason or excuse for ever using these 'gasket makers' when you can buy the correct seal or gasket. just a sloppy mechanic did this.
in answer to your question, no, but just diagnose where the oil is comming from, it's easy to do.
To answer the sloppy mechanic remark, some tms actually call for using rtv on top of the gasket.

I know first hand the m1 tank tm calls for this.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I also have diesel in my crankcase. I found this when dumping the oil. I'm pretty sure it came from the oil pan as the bucket was brand new.

View attachment 510697View attachment 510698View attachment 510699

Does this help identify the booster pump seal, HH o ring or throttle shaft o ring?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mikey
Like the others said, that looks like orange gasket sealer to me. I think it's reasonable to assume at some point a surface was resealed using it and they got a little overzealous and some squeezed through to the inside.

I have seen that orange stuff on transmissions, transfers, axles, oil pans, you name it.

mikey

Thank you everyone for the replies. This deuce came directly from GL. If that is RTV, it's army issue :)

I will continue normal troubleshooting regarding the diesel in the crankcase and update the thread when I've found the culprit.

Mikey

61sleepercab

You can find some real weird stuff that an engine can make on it's own. I had a 400 cid Ford v-8 that died when the distributor drive gear pin sheared off killing the motor. We were lucky that the ignition quit because the oil filter threaded top was filled with nickle and quarter size white flat round disks plugging off the oil flow. Turns out the nylon timing gear was eating itself and the plastic bits were being pressed flat by the rotor oil pump . Boy was that a head scratcher. I once found a tap wrench remains rattling in a Ford 8N block water jacket. Take a 8N Ford thin cylinder sleeve that breaks off at the top and slides down on the rod and crank throw..... instant 50 cent pieces of scrap metal! Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks