• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel idea

readyman

After searching out all the snorkel threads and posts I decided this was the quick, cheap and easy way out. $80 on Ebay and made for a Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser it's an exact Chinese copy of an ARB Safari at 5X the price(minus the logo). Throw the paper template on, drill the mount holes and hole saw one big one for the duct and its all set. I went the extra mile and filled mine with sand and used a heat gun to match(bend) it to the window angle, but its not necessary. I used 3M5200 black caulk(will stick to CARC) to even the gaps(nothing major) in mounting since its meant for different Toyota sheet metal. The 3-1/2 inch duct hose passes right thru the middle of the two batteries.
20140731_112504.jpg
20140731_112455.jpg

Skinny

Very nice!

Do you have a part number for reference? Was the part shipped from overseas and what was the delivery time?

Thank you

readyman

Are you referencing the winch and pushbar combo or the attractive female holding what appears to be a carbine???
Both the winch and the girl are removable. :wink: Pushbars can be removed, winch mount had handles for removal, tow rings, things got real complicated up front there. In the end I just got another 2 inch receiver winch mount for the rear winch instead of messing around with moving the front winch around.

cucvrus

Remember this. One table spoon of water and you can kiss the 6.2 J code diesel goodbye. Water does not compress. I have seen 6.2 with holes thru the pistons and bent valves. The air intake must be sealed up as tight as it is on a HMMWV. It looks fine but it is not the fool proof way to go thru deep water. This is a cosmetic modification only. CUC/V's have a very low safe water crossing depth.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has a sticker under the hood warning not to wash the engine with water or some such. How that's bad but submerging the entire motor is OK is beyond me. :?

Skinny

Part number on the snorkel too?

I'm sure the air filter lid isn't water proof but probably could be sealed with butyl tape.

readyman

Part number on the snorkel too?

I'm sure the air filter lid isn't water proof but probably could be sealed with butyl tape.
Haha, yeah splashing around is one thing but going deeper than the air cleaner(now at 4 feet) would require passengers having scuba gear. My HMMWV radiator fan shuts off under water, pressurizes things with a cockpit air valve and uses different better sealing caps for oil, hydraulic pump, trans dipstick, etc.
I'm wondering about drilling a drain plug in the snorkel housing. When I got it my HMMWV had a rusty water line from 3 inches of water that accumulated in the air cleaner housing, not good.

Skinny

I think it is a great improvement. I would probably get an inline air filter and an intake off a 6.5 turbo so everything is clamped tight if I was going to drown it on a regular basis. I think the vast majority of hydrolocks occur because you are playing around in water/mud when your stomach hits the throat due to the headlights going under unexpectedly.

usmcpatriot

Looks good, real good. People laughed at me for putting a snorkel on my 08. My snorkel has a Donaldson Pre-Cleaner. Not just for water immersion?

readyman

I think it is a great improvement. I would probably get an inline air filter and an intake off a 6.5 turbo so everything is clamped tight if I was going to drown it on a regular basis. I think the vast majority of hydrolocks occur because you are playing around in water/mud when your stomach hits the throat due to the headlights going under unexpectedly.
I had a lot of fun using 'conductive' grease(not dielectric) on all the connector contacts and rtv sealing them. All the circuit boards are coated with a silicone rubber conformal coating to waterproof them. Then all the connectors are silicone fusing taped for waterproofing. Did the best I could with the civvy wiring, but I had my HMMWV to go by.
I have a HMMWV intake setup laying around and I'll save that for a later project now that the snorkels in.

Hydrolock? Funny story, my USMC HMMWV went to a IROAN rebuild after 15 years with 17 miles on it! I'll bet the Marines stuck it in the back of the motor pool all those years because someone hydrolocked it the first day they got it. :) It has less than 3500 miles on it now... and a military rebuilt 6.2, and that rust line 3 inches high in the air cleaner(a dead giveaway for hydrolock).

Last edited:

K9Vic

Yeah, saw that. The clincher was finding that chinese ebay copy of the expensive snorkel.
There was a thread on another forum about a Dante's Peak Suburban which used it too.
Looks great.

Very similar to K9Vic's Suburban CUCV Clone snorkle setup.

Post #90
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...007-or-M1029&p=1381138&viewfull=1#post1381138
Seems to be no FJ 80 snorkels on eBay anymore from a USA seller, just the FJ 40. This is however using those keywords to search, but I found it by going to the seller I bought it from, "tmshelmet". Since I am discussing my closed auction they listed it with these major key words from the 2013 listing 380651634133, "Snorkel Kit For Toyota Land Cruiser 80". I paid $150 for it at the time, it may be cheaper now.

Anyway, the snorkel was installed for looks and to keep water from splashing into the intake. I never intended to be driving through deep water, but to just provide better protection from splashing water puddles. It is easy to install, but when you bend it to fit the pillar, use play sand inside to prevent kinks. When you are done, be sure to wash it out well to get all the sand out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks