• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrolock?

dirtyfingernails

Someone mentioned checking an engine for hydrolock before starting. I thought hydrolock was water in the cylinder (s). Since water can't be compressed, attempting to start the engine would cause damage to rods, pistons etc. So, my question: how do you check for it in a diesel engine when you can't take a plug out? Thanks and pardon my ignorance.
Steve

acetomatoco

you bump the starter with the shut down cable pulled out... or stand on the front bumper with the cable pulled out and turn it over a few revs with the fan...or you put a bar in the flywheel, or you pull the injectors and spin her with the starter and see if gallons of antifreeze comes out the holes... (shut off the intank pump or you will have fuel all over the place too...) etc etc etc.

houdel

Read PS-28, The Multifuel Operators Guide, in the TM section. Hydrostatic lock is caused by a quantity of liquid entering a cylinder or cylinders in sufficient quantities to exceed the available compression volume of the cylinder. More simply put, a cylinder has a quantity of liquid in it which exceeds the volume of the combustion chamber. As the piston comes up on the compression stroke, the intake and exhaust valves are closed so the liquid has no place to go. Liquids are, in practical terms, incompressible, so the engine comes to a "hard stop" before the piston reaches the top of the cylinder.

The liquid may be either coolant from a leaking head gasket or cracked cylinder head, or fuel from a leaking flame start heater. In any case, the effect is the same. There is more liquid in the cylinder than there is space available at the top of the compression stroke, and the engine locks up. Not a real common problem now as the head gaskets have been revised several times to improve sealing capability, and a flame start heater leaking that amount of fuel is a rarity. However, the hydrostatic lock check only takes a couple of seconds to perform, and in the one in a million or so chance you DO have a leak capable of causing hydrostatic lock, finding it BEFORE the engine fires on a few good cylinders and then locks up on a bad cylinder will save you a bunch of money.

The following two pages on hydrostatic lock are from PS-28, I'd suggest you download and print the entire manual (it is only 18 pages) before you drive your Deuce again. When I was in the Army it was mandatory reading before you got licensed to drive a mulitfuel!

Attachments

houdel

acetomatoco said:
Oh no! outranked by a 4 star general.. I gotta post more and catch up... good job Lee.
4 stars here, 2LT last time I wore the uniform, but thanks for the compliment. -- Lee

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah about that.. I know it is calculated by posts..? but I'd rather have my real rank of E6 / Staff Sergeant. I work for a living!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, Fleet Admiral is a step up from "Slick", isn't it? rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats right Clinto, I'm not "Slick" anymore. The rank of Fleet Admiral has been reserved for war time use only. The last Fleet Admirals were in World War II. Fleet Admirals during that war were Chester W. Nimitz, William D. Leahy, Ernest J. King, and William F. Halsey. This was until I was promoted to Fleed Admiral.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks