• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Recent Chenowth Acquisitions

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a young Inf LT with 9ID during the "High Technology Testbed Divison" days of the late 80s. A BUNCH of FAVs running around in the division when it was transitioning to Motorized MTOE. The Fast Attack Bns (2-1 and 2-2Inf as I recall) had a horde of the rigs. Mix of Mk19, M2 or TOW mounted. The CAB-L and CAB-H had them in Bn Scout Platoons.

FAVs had all the nifty bells/whistles but just totally unsuited to Big Green. Too "high strung". The Scout Platoons of the Mtx Bn had something like 8x FAVs in 1985-88 period. When we deployed to Yakima Firing Center for a typical 20+ day FTX the went thru an average of 2-3 engines per FAV over the course of the FTX. Cost a FORTUNE buying/rebuilding the things. Loaded for exercise it was as if took an Indy car (a real one from back when) and strapped a 500lb steamer trunk on each side. They just couldn't handle the loads. I always wondered whe BS the Seals were doing to keep some of the things operational. Perhaps they just abandoned when they broke.

I was the BN S-3Air for quite a while on a couple big airmovements with C-130, C-141, etc. LONG LONG ago but as I recall, scale weight (no crew) for aircraft load plan of our FAVs was over 4200lb. WAY to much stuff. But they were neat.
Leave it to a bunch of 18-20 year olds to tear up a machine prepped for a 600 mile race at pretty much WOT, the Navy Seals are more mature and value the limits of the vehicles that their lives depend on.

Crapgame

Lawdog, what sort of engine is mounted in the DPV? Is it a later Type 4 "pancake"/Porsche style engine vs the Type 1 Type 2 Bus used in the FAV?

Crapgame

I was a young Inf LT with 9ID during the "High Technology Testbed Divison" days of the late 80s. A BUNCH of FAVs running around in the division when it was transitioning to Motorized MTOE. The Fast Attack Bns (2-1 and 2-2Inf as I recall) had a horde of the rigs. Mix of Mk19, M2 or TOW mounted. The CAB-L and CAB-H had them in Bn Scout Platoons.

FAVs had all the nifty bells/whistles but just totally unsuited to Big Green. Too "high strung". The Scout Platoons of the Mtx Bn had something like 8x FAVs in 1985-88 period. When we deployed to Yakima Firing Center for a typical 20+ day FTX the went thru an average of 2-3 engines per FAV over the course of the FTX. Cost a FORTUNE buying/rebuilding the things. Loaded for exercise it was as if took an Indy car (a real one from back when) and strapped a 500lb steamer trunk on each side. They just couldn't handle the loads. I always wondered whe BS the Seals were doing to keep some of the things operational. Perhaps they just abandoned when they broke.

I was the BN S-3Air for quite a while on a couple big airmovements with C-130, C-141, etc. LONG LONG ago but as I recall, scale weight (no crew) for aircraft load plan of our FAVs was over 4200lb. WAY to much stuff. But they were neat.
NEIOWA did the Fast Attack BN S-3(Air) section have FAVs with the UHF/VHF "shark fin" antenna or would that have been the USAF Combat Controllers, now JTAC, assigned to each Infantry Division?
Shark Fin FAV.jpg

NEIOWA

Not in Inf BN. The Inf Bn S-3Air is a grunt officer who just plans the air ops. Has no vehicles or equipment. We had no radios to talk to aircraft unless a AF team was present at the TAC/TOC.

The Air Force at Lewis had their own vehicles/equipment little fenced in compound/motorpool (was across the street from my BN). They didn't seem to do much but I recall their EMs setting up all kind of commo gear and antenna. They generally had wheeled vehicles that matched the equipment of the Bn/Bde a FAC team was assigned to support. I don't recall what in particular other than all was cherry/new condition (as you might suspect). They didn't do any ditch hopping/brush breaking. They would only show up for major exercises during the brief periods when AF was supplying fast movers/training aids. Then would head back to the cantonment area/local Hilton. 100% they would have had FAV when they were in use by 9ID though.