• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Rebuild

Turkey

My alternator is going bad. I'm pretty sure its the bearing that is going bad, because its making a loud groaning and squeak noise. I figured I'd save a few bucks and try my hand at rebuilding it. I've never done this before. I have an '84 M1009 so I'm pretty sure the alternators a stock [FONT=&quot]1105500. W[/FONT]here I can get a rebuild kit or how I go about finding the right parts?

Westech

CPL
Do a search the part number has been listed 1000 times. A rebuild kit will set you back around 20 bucks. Bearings only are about 7 bucks a set.
27si is the case model number but most gm alternators all have the same guts and bearings.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

While this isn't the only place to get a kit I have used them many times and have had good luck with them

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5137

When you are removing the rear bearing, make sure you support the case somehow. If not you will crack the case and have a chunk of scrap aluminum.

I am looking at your location listed in your profile. Are you from Columbia the country?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding is 100% covered in the TMs.

Turkey

No. The state of Missouri, which is notorious for stealing names from many other countries for its towns. Thanks for the links guys.

In your and Warthog's world, everything about a CUCV to everybody, can be solved by the TM's.

Credit to Hog, he has ripped through everything and is a whiz at highlighting electrical diagrams.

I've learned a lot from him.

You post about it month after month, year after year, incessantly. I could quote pretty much every one of your replys.

I used to be a high school math teacher. There are different approaches that help different learners.

You can't seem to appreciate that. You are not helpful.

Last edited:
No. The state of Missouri, which is notorious for stealing names from many other countries for its towns. Thanks for the links guys.
[/mod] The rules, should you have taken the time to read them, state (no pun intended) as follows [/not mod, being helpful]:

• Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile. This allows the other members to know their neighbors. Users who refuse to add their location will be subject to warning, temporary ban, and then permanent ban.
So, nudge, nudge, you may want to throw a MO in there, else folks who really care will not think you are on the yayo.

Regards.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I simply stated a fact. A book is not something to be feared.

It is written in easy sentences and easy steps with pictures(for this particular situation) of the alternator.

I am 100% confident that my 7 year old nephew could follow it and rebuild an alternator.

That makes my statement
, very helpful in my opinion.

I don't think you get the fact that I am trying to help.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I don't think you get the fact that I am trying to help.

I get that, but I doubt very many people get that. It doesn't come across that way at all. It comes across as condescension, like a small person making himself feel big by displaying his superior knowledge, contemptuously dismissing those who don't already know the TMs inside and out.

I fully understand, and fully agree with, the idea of teaching someone to fish, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. Yours is the wrong way. If your way were the correct way, there'd be no need for this forum at all. Just post the TMs, tell people to read them, and we're done.

I understand being frustrated with people who want to be spoon fed, who won't do the most basic searches, won't read anything before asking to be led by the hand. I get that.

That doesn't make your approach right, or helpful. In fact, I strongly suspect that you are a large part of the reason that I see comments on other forums about the "jerks over at SS". The reason I suspect that is that when I have seen comments to that effect, it's in the context of people not being helpful, but jsut telling people to read the TMs. Since you are a moderator, you ARE the face of SS to visitors.

Warthog is a good example for you to follow.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the small numbers of those that complain, I think I help the majority of those who want help and are not helpless.

In this case, the member is new. Do you think he is familiar with the TMs? Do you know what his mechanical and comprehension abilities are? Do you really know what he needs to fix his issue?

I mearly offered the basics.

Perhaps those that think little of themselves are offended by such simple statements.(my thought)

Let's stay on track here...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The forum rules do require at a minimum that you list your State of residence. Please update your user profile.

Back to the subject at hand.

The TM 9-2320-289-34 technical manual has a section dedicated to the rebuilding of the alternator. It covers it step-by-step. And it has pictures. It is a very useful tool.

The first CUCV alternator I rebuilt took about an hour as I was taking pictures of each piece I removed. Now I can rebuild one in about 15 minutes.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Rebuilding a GM alternator is not hard, I have done several several of them back when I owned a GM vehicle. The paper clip trick for the brushes is a must to get the case halves back together without damaging the brushes. Carry on...

scottladdy

I'll bet that came back to you in a flash didn't it. Did it destroy your regulator in the casing?
Yes it did, to both questions. Also fried one of the brush wires. It's what happens when it's really cold out and you rush (NOTE: I did not say in a hurry). Thankfully I keep spares on hand and I had the newly toasted internals swapped out and the alternator reinstalled in under 15 minutes.

Turkey

So I'm currently rebuilding the old alternator at the moment. The TM's mention a resistor on top of the brush holding assembly and voltage regulator. Mine does not appear to have one. Has anyone else had this happen?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks