• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP Hydraulic Head

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little less than a year ago, I replaced the hydraulic head on the IP of my deuce. The engine simply quit running after idling for a short time at a refuling (Joplin, MO).
Today, I took the hydraulic head apart and the conclusion is that fine particles of dirt in the fuel caused scoring and finally binding of the fuel plunger in the bore.

The return spring is not strong enough to return the plunger to its bottom position quickly (takes 10-15 seconds now), so no fuel was delivered to the injectors. Other parts checks out on the head.

Question: Can a lapped surface be restored, see image below for evidence of scoring (Leonard ?)?

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just judging from playing with hydraulic valve pistons, and just my opinion, a fine lapping compound would smooth that out. Doesn't look bad, those scratches appear less than a .001 deep.

Dennis

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, class fit parts can be lapped to be renewed. A very fine crokus cloth with the edge taken off and diesel, or Clover extra fine compound will do the trick.

rlwm211

I am curious as to the tolerances of this? I would imagine there is a maximum of what is allowable. I sure would try to polish it up and see if it will work. At this point, you have too many others watching your project with this post.

RL

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, you ever go any farther on this?
Well, it has made me acutely aware of the problems that may result from hard rust particles in the fuel. A similar situation is found in the FDC plunger, causing them to leak fuel into the crankcase. I now have a magnetic filter on the 8x8 and posted some results a month or so ago. There is also a MVM article on this, but don't know the issue, maybe current...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I remember the magnet filter and the rust it collected. I have been thinking of making a band of magnets out of computer HDDs for my fuel filters. So you never "polished your rod" and put it back in the hole?

GAWD thats bad!

deathrowdave

Lapped many parts in the energy trade . Both parts should be lapped together , Clover - extra fine- works great , tooth paste will work in a pinch. :-D

Have a great and safe day , Dave

stevegr

Bjorn, Gimp, et all,

The plunger in my deuces hh will not retract. I've sprayed PB Blaster tapped it back down, spun the engine over, sprayed PB Blaster, tapped it back down and repeat. I'm hoping to work the plunger free by doing that without having to remove the hh.

I have a question on the measured height of the plunger in the hh. Do you happen to know the height of the plunger when it is in the fully up position before removing the hh from the ip (this is assuming it is measured when it is stuck in the up position). I removed the plunger screw, measured the height with calipers as 1.102" from the top surface of the hh to the top surface of the plunger. It would be nice to know what this measurement is for a plunger that has the button intact on the other end. This might enable a person to know if the button has fallen off the end of the plunger without removing the hh from the ip.

Thanks,

Greg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, didn't you post this same exact question in another thread today? If so, we call that cross posting and it is against the site rules.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, Gimp, et all,

The plunger in my deuces hh will not retract. I've sprayed PB Blaster tapped it back down, spun the engine over, sprayed PB Blaster, tapped it back down and repeat. I'm hoping to work the plunger free by doing that without having to remove the hh.

I have a question on the measured height of the plunger in the hh. Do you happen to know the height of the plunger when it is in the fully up position before removing the hh from the ip (this is assuming it is measured when it is stuck in the up position). I removed the plunger screw, measured the height with calipers as 1.102" from the top surface of the hh to the top surface of the plunger. It would be nice to know what this measurement is for a plunger that has the button intact on the other end. This might enable a person to know if the button has fallen off the end of the plunger without removing the hh from the ip.

Thanks,

Greg
The best advise here would be to have you remove the hydraulic head.
The plunger moves about 1/4 inch and rides on a cam. If the cam lobe is sitting in the "up" position, you cannot force the plunger down...

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack, just add. Bjorn do you agree that the plunger should move all the way through without tighting up. the scuffed end of your plunger in the pictures, should it slide all the way through. Mine is binding on that end. Looking at mine, it's nice and smooth. Not totally sure yet if I should work on getting it to slide better. meaning after it is taken apart, on the bench.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack, just add. Bjorn do you agree that the plunger should move all the way through without tighting up. the scuffed end of your plunger in the pictures, should it slide all the way through. Mine is binding on that end. Looking at mine, it's nice and smooth. Not totally sure yet if I should work on getting it to slide better. meaning after it is taken apart, on the bench.
Ron, it's not meant to slide all the way through, if it is smooth over its intended range of movement, you are good to go IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks